PDA

View Full Version : Meehan Report from Practice - "Bell, Sacre practice at full speed"

ZagNative
12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen Meehan's post (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/dec/05/bell-sacre-practice-full-speed/) here yet.

Gonzaga’s Gary Bell Jr. was writhing on the court, his right knee twisted when Illinois’ 7-foot-1 center Meyers Leonard dove into a prone Bell pursuing a loose ball during Saturday’s game at Assembly Hall.

Bell’s knee hurt and one thought was racing through his mind.

“Oh gosh, this can’t be good,” he told himself.

Two days later, Bell’s knee was, well, good. He practiced full speed Monday. He drove hard to the basket, ran the court, defended on the perimeter and battled for rebounds. He took a spill penetrating the lane and quickly bounced to his feet, signaling with his hands that a defender was guilty of a blocking foul.

Bell went to the McCarthey Athletic Center earlier Monday, hours before practice.

“I was in here shooting, and I could still dunk,” said Bell, smiling. “So I feel good.”

He said the play, which occurred late in Illinois’ 82-75 win, “really scared me because it hurt so bad. Thank God it wasn’t something bad. Luckily it went away pretty much after we iced it after the game.”
Center Robert Sacre, who tweaked his neck in a loose-ball scramble early in the second half, also practiced full speed.

“I got a little work on it (Sunday). I’ll be fine,” Sacre said.
Special guests

Ex-Zags Jeremy Pargo and Adam Morrison attended practice Monday.

Pargo, a Chicago native who drove down to view the GU-Illinois game Saturday, was his usual fun-loving self, playing 100 mph and needling everybody in  sight. “I’m getting ready for you, Pangos,” Pargo shouted as freshman guard Kevin Pangos trotted down the stairs prior to practice.

Morrison, who returned to Spokane recently following a successful stint with a pro team in Serbia, and Pargo are hoping to land NBA jobs. Teams were allowed to talk to free agents Monday and can sign them beginning Friday. Pargo didn’t return to Maccabi Tel Aviv this season to pursue a spot in the NBA.Elsewhere, Jim posted this (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/dec/06/bell-zags-back-work/):
Adam Morrison and Jeremy Pargo visited practice. Morrison, by the way, left many Zag defenders shaking their heads as he hit step-back jumpers from all over the court. He drilled on fadeaway 3-pointer over 7-foot Kelly Olynyk from 23 feet. As Olynyk went back in line under the hoop, Pargo told him, “You're all right, nothing you can do about that.”

04ZagFan
12-06-2011, 11:33 AM
God I love Morrison. I hope he gets a chance to make a team this year. Such a freak on offense

gozagswoohoo
12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
HA HA HA, LOVE hearing about Ammo and Pargo at practice. That's SO cool.

zagzilla
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I am really surprised and happy that Bell is OK. I was bracing for the worst news and a long rehab.

Practicing vs. Pargo is a great way to prepare MC, KP, DS, GBJ to handle MSU guards. Maybe Morrison can help Dower get un-tracked too.

ZZ

hooter73
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Pargo and Morrison would be my choices out of anybody right now to be still working with the current team. Those two have the skill sets that need to be reinforced with this team and guarding against them is a great primer for the games to come.

"there's nothing you can do about that" just puts a smile on your face.

DixieZag
12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Just want to reiterate how great this is for THIS week of practice to have Pargo and Morrison. What do the Zags need to improve on defending? The very physical, quick, strong PG and the three point shooter, so who better than to have Pargo and Morrison around for the week. Additionally, it sounds like the absolute soonest they could sign a contract would be Friday so they might even be around Saturday.

You would just have to feel like the guys would really benefit from that week of practice and then want to go out and really give it to Sparty on Saturday with their older brothers there (or there in heart) watching.

I can see Pargo yapping at KP/GBJ all practice, good naturedly, but also teaching, teaching and challenging. These young guys need that, they have similar games to JP and I bet that whomever they are guarding Saturday will not be as quick, comfortable on that court.

MDABE80
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Coming back to work out and get your team in shape.....boy is that great or WHAT! The pros who know...come back and toughen up the youngsters...midseason too! Amazing contribution from our Zags players of "old". The old ghosts have returned. :)

kitzbuel
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Dear Mr Pargo

Please,please show GBJ how to throw it down when he sees an open lane to the hoop suddenly appear. That would be so awesome.

northsidezagfan
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
god i love morrison.

+100000

NotoriousZ
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Bring on the Sparty's

EuroZag2010
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
@SnapBackCarter
We had a straight football practice...#Goodwork

Looks like coach is toughening them up pretty good!!

04ZagFan
12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Dear Mr Pargo

Please,please show GBJ how to throw it down when he sees an open lane to the hoop suddenly appear. That would be so awesome.

Pargo could teach GBJ a lot about getting to the rim and finishing.. So far Gary hasn't done a ton of that... More of a shooter.

katman50
12-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Love hearing about this! With Pargo and Adam at practice. I still have faith in Adam. Hope he is picked up by a team and gets another shot. He is my favorite college basketball player of the past 10 years! Fadeaway 3 balls....just like the old days! Love it!

willandi
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Lakers traded a whole bunch of people for Paul and Howard, and signed Adam to an actual playing position? Fantasy I'm sure, but if they lose 5-6 players for the 2, they will need bodies to play!

bballbeachbum
12-06-2011, 08:42 PM
“I’m getting ready for you, Pangos,” Pargo shouted as freshman guard Kevin Pangos trotted down the stairs prior to practice.

:roll:

quite an amazing hall of greatness GU has now, Adam and Jeremy a couple of Chairmen of the Board.

Absolute fun watching and rooting for today, too. Glad everyone's OK.

GO ZAGS!!!

northsidezagfan
12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Lakers traded a whole bunch of people for Paul and Howard, and signed Adam to an actual playing position? Fantasy I'm sure, but if they lose 5-6 players for the 2, they will need bodies to play!

http://statandstuff.com/2011/12/06/the-case-for-adam-morrison/

Knicks got rid of most their roster last year to get Melo. Here's an interesting opinion piece. Ammo could get signed for relatively cheap, and I think he would be a great fit in a D'Antoni offense.

maynard g krebs
12-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Pargo could teach GBJ a lot about getting to the rim and finishing.. So far Gary hasn't done a ton of that... More of a shooter.

He did it a lot in high school, and did it as well as anyone. We'll see it more and more as time goes by. In hs he could do it pretty much whenever he wanted, and he needs to figure out when he can get there with athletic guys close to 7 ft in the paint. He's getting there. That transition layup from the left side against Illinois is a play he might not have made a few weeks ago imo.

It's a strength of his game. Just needs some adapting to the speed and size he's seeing now to make those split second decisions.

SWZag
12-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Good to see KO getting some redshirt season playing time against the likes of Ammo.

Pargo has always been a favorite. He's tough as nails, but has humor, gotta love it.

SWZag

Therunner
12-07-2011, 02:39 AM
HA HA HA, LOVE hearing about Ammo and Pargo at practice. That's SO cool.

+1

Next, we're going to hear Tim Tebow showed up & scrimmaged with the team.

Awesome!

hooter73
12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Just watched some Morrison youtube vids... Are we paying attention this week Dranginis?

ZagNative
12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I just posted on Old Dogs (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=36939) Eurobasket story saying that FIBA's ruled Pargo owes Maccabi $270,000 for breach of contract. I wonder what Jeremy's response will be ..

cjm720
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Just watched some Morrison youtube vids... Are we paying attention this week Dranginis?

??

hooter73
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
If not similar players, similar skill sets with the back court and mid range shots from what I saw of his high school and exhibition game. Step backs, creating his own shot and decisions on when to drive that Kyle does similarly but could still glean something from IMO.

ZagsGoZags
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Let's lock MM in the gym with Ammo and not let him out until
he can make some progress creating his own shots, quick release,
and pump fake.
God, if MM could just pump fake it would perform miracles
well ..... compared to the present situation where he can't seem to learn