PDA

View Full Version : MSU preview

SpartyRah
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Hello. MSU student here.

First off, I just want to say I have nothing but respect for your basketball program. Ever since the 2005 Maui tournament, I've been a fan of Gonzaga -- which is weird because we lost that game, haha.

Anyway. I'm really looking forward to this game. MSU should be an underdog and rightfully so. It's hard to guess how MSU will fare this season because there are so many unknowns, but I'm very excited to find out. Here's my take on 2011-2012 MSU men's basketball team.

PG - Keith Appling (6'1): He is making the trasition from shooting guard, and it hasn't been easy. He's still figuring out when to be a distributor vs scorer. He is a streaky shooter, but you can't deny his scoring ability. An elite defender, but can be too aggressive at times (picked up two early fouls against UNC and Duke).

SG - Brandon Wood (6'2): A transfer guard from Valparaiso. He's one of the better shooters on the team, but he can struggle on defense. Not as quick or athletic as Appling, but he's a savvy player. Probably our third scoring option behind Draymond Green and Appling.

SF - Branden Dawson (6'6): A highly touted recruit. He's a tremendous rebounder and very athletic. He does most of his damage under the basket because he's not a good shooter. Like Wood, his defense can be questionable at times but that is to be expected for a freshman. Still capable of scoring double digit points.

PF - Draymond Green (6'7): Well, Draymond Green is Draymond Green. He leads the team in scoring, rebound, assist, and steal. No one can question his versatility and passion for the game, but he has a tendency to make 2-3 "WTF plays" every game - I don't mean that in a good way. Regardless, he's a very versatile offensive player and can score from inside and outside. By the way.. he likes to flop. :D

C1 - Adreian Payne (6'10): A long, freakish athlete for his size. He can be a force inside, but still relatively raw on the offensive end. Don't expect Olajuwon's dream shake from Payne. He gets most of his points from putback dunks and ally-oops. He did add 20 pounds of muscle this summer, so he doesn't get pushed around like last year. A great defensive presence because of his size and athleticism.

C2 - Derrick Nix (6'9): I put C1 and C2 on Payne and Nix because Izzo likes to rotate them around in the starting line-up. Nix is the polar opposite of Payne. Not athletic, but more offensively skilled than Payne. He's a strong, physical player on the post who has great feet on the block. He's had trouble catching the ball in the paint -- which is weird because he was known for having great hands coming out of high school.

That's MSU "starting six." I'm pretty sure you guys already know what our strengths are: rebounding and defense. I believe MSU leads the nation in rebounding margin. Our weaknesses are shooting and turnovers. Because the team is so inexperienced, MSU can go on long scoring droughts. Green and Appling are streaky shooters, and since they are our top two scoring options you can guess why MSU's been very inconsistent in shooting.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. :D

SpartyRah
12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah. I watched some of it. You guys were very impressive against ND. If Gonzaga shoots 40% from the 3, and have +10 rebounding advantage, there's no way MSU will win the game. I'm hoping for a different outcome, though. :D