• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siliconzag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Redemption against MSU

Look, not just because I plan to attend my first ever game in the new Kennel, but also because this team needs to find their sweet spot again, we need to beat Sparty. Make no bones about it, we will have a rough go, but we can prevail in this game. Michigan State is extremely vulnerable, but also dangerous as they have already taken a few lumps and want to stay competitive.

I think the keys to the game, are setting plays, and screens with intentional kick outs to set up three point shots. Our offense is too predictable IMO. However one loss should not degenerate into a tailspin. We also need better offensive rebounding.

In past years when we'd get up a head of steam, and lose a close one, we would go into a slump. It is very important to avoid that this year, as Gonzaga is prone to losing confidence and playing down to the level of their competition. Remember the Virginia game, or the Portland State fiasco. We need to pull up our socks, get our groove back and take care of business (Sparty). And we fans need to help by putting this loss in perspective. It was predictable, and it wasn't that ugly, even if it wasn't a beauty.

Sili
  • 77Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

Sili -- you better be ready for one great experience. The Kennel is a wonderful venue and the house should be rocking. Big game for sure ---

Luckily, I'm also returning to GU to catch the game with family and friends.
    Don't forget, you can catch the women on Friday and Sunday also ---

Go Zags -
    See you at Jack and Dan's about 4 hours pre-tip on Saturday!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• bostonzagfan
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Oct 2011

with a win over mich st, the illini game will be forgotten by the fans.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Keep the faith, Sili !
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Baldwinzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Cheer 'em on strong, Sili!

It'll be a gas! This guy is jealous.

Beat Sparty.

Play hard, play tough, play all in = can't lose.
          “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• Pargo the Destroyer
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2008

Their bigs are massive. Not sure how skilled, but huge. And they have guards similar to the Illini. Expect the guards to have to fight and scratch for everything they get, they will be outsized and won't have the athleticism Sparty has.

Comment

• siliconzag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Feb 2007

Just remember zag fans that

Originally posted by Pargo the Destroyer View Post
              Their bigs are massive. Not sure how skilled, but huge. And they have guards similar to the Illini. Expect the guards to have to fight and scratch for everything they get, they will be outsized and won't have the athleticism Sparty has.
              The bigger they are the harder they fall.

BTW l love izzo but he must be vanquished!

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by siliconzag View Post
                Look, not just because I plan to attend my first ever game in the new Kennel, but also because this team needs to find their sweet spot again, we need to beat Sparty.Sili
                Sili! You're going to love the new Kennel. It's so awesome! Let us know your thoughts after the game. I have a feeling that with you there the Zags will win. You're an old time Zag and the team needs some of that energy right now.

Go Zags!!!
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• jim77
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Somebody needs to loan Sam a copy of SLAPSHOT. I wanna see the dude get physical...I don't give a crap about his offense.

I don't want to see Rob Webberized....again. What is webberized? Its when you put guys into the game just to lean on and wrestle in an attempt to fatique that person. It doesn't matter if they can play it just matters that they lean on Rob a bunch. Its even better when you can get the crowd to go along. Rob will be a target again Saturday. If Sparty plays like the last 2 games.....and we don't respond....Sparty by 25.

Comment

• Zagpower
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

Welcome

Have a great time at the game Sili. I think the boys will be rested and ready to give Sparty a battle.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

I am so excited about seeing a big time program like Michigan St. come out west and play the Zags in K2. It's like a dream come true. The Zags have always had to play teams like Michigan State on the road, and it's just awesome to know that Gonzaga has the kind of respect that it takes for coaches like Tom Izzo to come and play in K2. And the Zags have earned that respect. Sparty will be tough for sure, but the Zags will be tougher in K2.

These are two teams who have a lot of pride in their programs, and therefore this will be one of those classic fights. I believe our guards must come out ready to score against Sparty because Tom Izzo will not want to get beaten by our frontcourt. I know the Zags have shooters this year, and 3 pt Ninja shooters must be alive Saturday. Zags need 8 three pointers to win this I think. We average 6 a game, so our shooters must challenge themselves Saturday.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• siliconzag
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Mythical significance

Actually it is important to realize that the chosen mascot of Michigan State (i.e., the Spartans), while fearsome, was the classical equivalent of the evil empire. While it may be a stretch to think of the Spartans as pernicious and odious, I would remind all good Gonzgans to recognize this for what it is: democracy vs. fascism, liberty vs. autocracy, good vs. evil. As a good Jesuit institution, at least in principle, Gonzaga must uphold the Athenian tradition, which emphasized citizen rather than military led government, and upheld the value of art, literature and philosophy over regimentation and blind obedience.

We are fighting a war, in the Kennel, of epic significance. It almost makes me wane poetic. However I shall resist, mostly because it is difficult for me to speak ill of a program with such a fantastic and venerable coach.

On a serious note, our offense needs to become three dimensional. It has been one dimensional most of the season, occasionally two dimensional. It kind of reminds me of Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler football, famed for running it up the middle, four yards and a cloud of dust. The defense knows where the ball is going, it is telegraphed, and then if it fails, we try it again until we get it right, which we sometimes don't. The game at Illinois showed not only youthful mistakes but also a lack of offensive imagination. If we bring that same strategy, we lose, and so does freedom, democracy, and all that is good in the world. The very future of civilization hangs in the balance. Let's get this right! And finally let us play like real Athenians, with less fear and more courage and imagination.

Sili

Comment

• BULLDOG#1
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Aug 2011

Limit turnovers, match them on the glass, and shoot like we usually do at home and we'll win this game.

That may be a tall order against this team, but the zags have the goods.

poor play/decisions by carter, dower, and to an extent bell cost huge against the illini, but the agressiveness of Sacre, Harris, Pangos, and Stockton made up for a lot. That the zags were able to come back time and again in that game and in that environment speaks volumes.

I'm of the belief that the illini loss wasn't that bad. Coaches will show the game tape to Bell -- so next time out he won't continually dribbling into a double team. They'll show Carter the spots where he was open and how he, like Bell, dribbled into the defense and made it harder to score... Sam, I don't know... maybe the should smack him upside the head with the game tape. He seems lost right now.

It seems like the physical wing play of Edi would have really helped in that game. It should be interesting to see how he fits in when off suspension.

Comment

• johno
                            Kennel Club
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by siliconzag View Post
                            Actually it is important to realize that the chosen mascot of Michigan State (i.e., the Spartans), while fearsome, was the classical equivalent of the evil empire. While it may be a stretch to think of the Spartans as pernicious and odious, I would remind all good Gonzgans to recognize this for what it is: democracy vs. fascism, liberty vs. autocracy, good vs. evil. As a good Jesuit institution, at least in principle, Gonzaga must uphold the Athenian tradition, which emphasized citizen rather than military led government, and upheld the value of art, literature and philosophy over regimentation and blind obedience.

We are fighting a war, in the Kennel, of epic significance. It almost makes me wane poetic. However I shall resist, mostly because it is difficult for me to speak ill of a program with such a fantastic and venerable coach.

Sili
                            Oh Man! Now I remember why I love this board!

Comment

• Birddog
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Silli, whatever you do, please don't wax poetic!
                              Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                              Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                              All mimsy were the borogoves,
                              And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                              X