PDA

View Full Version : Prince Fielder

gu03alum
12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
As a Mariners fan the thought of adding Prince Fielder both excites me and scares me. It's kind of like the feeling when I buy cars at auction to later resell them. I would be thinking, wow I got a good deal and will make some money on this car, but I would also be thinking, what if I missed something that's wrong with the car and I'm going to be out all this money.

Prince makes me think of Richie Sexson and Mo Vaughn, but I also think he's better than these guys. I have read two sides to the idea of signing Prince. The sabremetric side (Dave Cameron) basically thinks it would be a bad idea to sign Prince because even if he does produce for his contract the Mariners aren't ready for contention next year. The writers and radio (Geoff Baker, Mike Salk) say that the Mariners need to do whatever it takes to make this team exciting again. I usually agree with the sabremetric crowd, but this time I'm with Geoff Baker and Mike Salk. I feel like there might not be a Prince Fielder type available next year and I'm tired of playing for next year. It's time to win now. We only have Felix for a few more years for sure.

I'm curious how others feel about what the M's should do this offseason.

webspinnre
12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
The sabermetrics part isn't quite saying that. The point is that signing him for 7 years at 22m per year would be crippling for a team with our kind of payroll, especially over that many years. If we could get him for 5 years at say 17 per, then I'd certainly consider it.

gu03alum
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
The sabermetrics part isn't quite saying that. The point is that signing him for 7 years at 22m per year would be crippling for a team with our kind of payroll, especially over that many years. If we could get him for 5 years at say 17 per, then I'd certainly consider it.

You are correct, but I think that is an unrealistic expectation. That sounds like a copout to me. "Yeah, I'd take him if he was super cheap." They do not want him at the market price and I think that is the discussion because there is little reason to believe that he won't sign for close to the market rate (especially if he signs in Seattle). I think Milwaukee already offered him 5 years $100 million and he turned that down. The question is do you want Fielder. The Mariners have decreased payroll the last 3 or 4 years and I think it's time for them to start increasing it again. As Baker has pointed out, it's going to be harder and harder to compete if the Mariners keep reducing payroll while the Angels and Rangers (and possibly the new Astros ownership) keep adding payroll. The Mariners need a bat that can hit home runs. If Fielder isn't they guy then they need to make a big trade to land a guy who can do it.

a13coach
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
The M's could always swing for the fences and go for Albert. :D

gu03alum
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
The M's could always swing for the fences and go for Albert. :D

That would be awesome. Heck, he might age better than Prince even though he is so much older. I read on ESPN that Albert is headed to Miami though.

Kiddwell
12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
If only Figgins hadn't tanked after the Mariners spent a bazillion on him, the team might be in much better shape (run-wise). Still like the guy and hope he turns his batting around this upcoming season. If that were the case, then having someone like Fielder would be less imperative. Maybe have Figgins get his bat going, add a couple of good young (or less expensive) bats, and who knows?

:]

webspinnre
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
You are correct, but I think that is an unrealistic expectation. That sounds like a copout to me. "Yeah, I'd take him if he was super cheap." They do not want him at the market price and I think that is the discussion because there is little reason to believe that he won't sign for close to the market rate (especially if he signs in Seattle). I think Milwaukee already offered him 5 years $100 million and he turned that down. The question is do you want Fielder.

Exactly. They don't want him at market price, because paying market price for a guy like him would be a poor choice given Seattle's situation. I absolutely would love to have a guy like Fielder, but not at market price. My guess is he probably ends up somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 years at 22m per, which is just too much. My problem is not that I don't want him, it's that I believe he's out of Seattle's price range. Y'know, fiscal responsibility and all that.

gu03alum
12-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Jackie Z denies the tweet from Jim Bowden declaring the Mariners the frontrunners for Prince.

Link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2016950703_mari07.html)

"I don't want to talk about Prince, but I would say the wording of that is misleading," Zduriencik said. "Because you don't know. On any free agent. I have no clue how many clubs are in on any free agent that we're talking to."

webspinnre
12-07-2011, 08:03 AM
In the good news, it sounds like the price for Pujols might be lower than expected, and that Fielders price also may come down both in years and in annual salary.

gu03alum
12-07-2011, 08:44 AM
In the good news, it sounds like the price for Pujols might be lower than expected, and that Fielders price also may come down both in years and in annual salary.

I'm worried that if the Marlins don't get Pujols then they will dump a truckload of money at Prince's feet. On a sidenote to the whole Marlins wheeling and dealing I think they might make Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez available if they get Pujols. I would love to get Morrison to play outfield. I would also like Sanchez though he doesn't hit for much power. Both guys are good on base guys and both are young and relatively cheap. The Marlins don't like Morrison for his hilarious twitter account so they might be excited to unload him.

gu03alum
12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
It looks like the Marlins will not pursue Prince if they do not get Albert.

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7327432/miami-marlins-plan-b-pitching-albert-pujols-says-no-sources-say)

Even as Albert Pujols continued to mull 10-year contract offers from the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday, Miami was working aggressively on a Plan B in case Pujols heads back to St. Louis. Sources: And that Plan B can be summed up in two words: Starting pitching.

gu03alum
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Texas appears to be out on Fielder

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7326962/nolan-ryan-see-milwaukee-brewers-prince-fielder-fitting-texas-rangers-payroll)

But as of Tuesday morning, Rangers president Nolan Ryan isn't so sure. He said that he doesn't see how Fielder fits financially in the club's plans. And sources said the club is not pursuing Fielder at this time.

webspinnre
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Ken_Rosenthal
Buerhle to #Marlins: 4 yrs, $58M. #MLB

In theory, that should mean Pujols to the Cards, and that the Marlins are out on Fielder after having signed Reyes (unless they trade Hanley to get salary relief).

04ZagFan
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
King Albert to LA