PDA

View Full Version : Landry Edi

jrmeehan
12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
What kind of player is he? I haven't seen him play yet, and am curious what he will bring. I dont mind a guy like Hart getting some run, but its like playing four on five offensively with him out there. Can Landry hit the three? Can he dribble drive penetrate?

I think one of the things this team needs is a guy who is multi talented longer wing player. A wing like that will help Bell and Pangos get more shots as well imo. A wing who can stretch the D, get in the lane off the dribble, and still defend.

Moenninghoff can't really do any of those things but shoot from the wing/corner. Keita plays tough D and is athletic but is no better offensively than Hart. Carter is playing atrocious, and KD is redshirting. I think we miss a guy like Kong/Arop.

Zag@LMU
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
my understanding is that he is essentially an older, taller, more experienced gary bell

DixieZag
12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I have heard that he is a total athlete, he has the size of Hart, but more explosion, leaping ability, and stronger more confident offensively driving to the rim and just as committed to defense. What he is supposed to add is another offensive dimension going to the rim. I don't know anything about his shot but any offense he could add would obviously be a plus over our current wings of Hart/Carter.

Angelo Roncalli
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
He may be the best athlete on the team.

He has a good enough 3 point shot to keep defenses honest.

He has a good enough handle to drive and the hops to get to the rim.

Very strong. Good weakside rebounder.

jrmeehan
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. It would be nice if he could stroke the three, but I guess he woulda been much more highly recruited if he could do it all. Him being able to go to the rim will help for sure.

A lot of people were seemingly down on Manny, but I think he woulda been a big factor this year had he stayed and not been in Few's doghouse. He could stretch the D by shooting the longball, was athletic, and rebounded well.

04ZagFan
12-04-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEboAS3was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Zsbure-Ik

I think it's safe to say he's the best athlete on the team.

Ezag
12-04-2011, 04:04 PM
The legend of Bol Kong continues in Landry

jazzdelmar
12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Can we reasonably hope he will be a frosh Harris?

Angelo Roncalli
12-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Can we reasonably hope he will be a frosh Harris?

I'd say he's more like Erroll Knight, with a better shot, but not as good defensively.

kclubfounder
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
After reading this thread I am very excited to welcome the 2011/2012 version of Michael Jordan.

:pray:

btzag
12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Few has mentioned him multiple times already this year in a very positive manner in interview q/a.

Few rarely ever does this and never ever overhypes a player. Few is a tremendous evaluator of in person talent and I don't know if I've ever heard him make a bad statement about what happened in a game. If Few evaluates someone and comments you better listen.

Therefore I am listening to him about Edi.

He will be good. Impact player.

sittingon50
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
In the limited time I've seen him I would echo Angelo:

Erroll Knight with a jump shot.

deathchina
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Judging from those youtube highlights....good hops but nothing crazy. I'm more excited by his "man's body"....He definitely has keys to the weight room....

gamagin
12-04-2011, 05:20 PM
on the pre game radio show Sat.

I couldn't find it in the archives or I would just post the url and let you all listen for yourselves.

Maybe someone else can find it on 1510 am in spokane. I couldn't. I tried. It was an assessment in which santangelo quoted, I think, Ray G, about him.

I don't want to misquote what it was I heard & I only caught a portion of the update.

Santangelo does a really good job and tends to ask about key players during the week and report his findings as part of the show.

Interesting stuff and highly quotable, if you are near a piece of paper and pen at the time. I was not this time around.

ZagNative
12-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Stretchlimo posted an excellent intro (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=665097#post665097) to Guy in April, including four full-game videos from the NJCAA championships which I'm going to try to catch up on during this loooonnng stretch until next Saturday's game.

I'm a bit puzzled by his numbers in JC. From the thread linked above:

Landry averaged 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist. He also shot 45% from the field, 40% from behind the 3-point line, and 60% FT. All at the JC level.

He certainly appears athletic. But despite his acrobatic dunks, he only blocked 4 shots in 20 games.

If these are the numbers he produces at the junior college level, why would we think those numbers would improve against D-1 players? What am I missing here?I just worry a bit that we're hyping him out of proportion to what he's done in the past ...

gamagin
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Stretchlimo posted an excellent intro (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=665097#post665097) to Guy in April, including four full-game videos from the NJCAA championships which I'm going to try to catch up on during this loooonnng stretch until next Saturday's game.

I'm a bit puzzled by his numbers in JC. From the thread linked above:
I just worry a bit that we're hyping him out of proportion to what he's done in the past ...

Not sure what hyping achieves, either.

I suspect Landry will show us all why he is a good prospect. Hopefully even a great prospect. Like many of our current Zags already have.

I suspect it's also unlikely he will become the second coming of (fill in here who you hope/think/dream/guess/ suggest/assert/demand he will become here ................................. ).

Here's hoping the GUB anticipation phase, leading up to his debut, like the endless manic ones all summer, will manage to be replaced by a little more reality, perhaps even some patience, as Landry finds his game and place and challenge and opportunity in the Zag lineup.

The whole team, and the coaches, are essentially working on the same set of goals: learning to win together in virtually every situation they face. So far, we've had all our opponents in our sights, pretty much the whole game.

It's become pretty clear to anyone willing to watch that what Few is looking for are complete players, and thus a complete team. Imo, he has found perhaps three he can almost (but not quite) turn his back on. That leaves a fair amount of room going forward.

After Edi qualifies, his p.t., like that of everyone else, will likely come down to degrees of improvement inside this current crop, and under game conditions second.

Of course the same goes for everyone else. You never know when one or two lights go on or another goes dim, or out.

It's the circle of Zag basketball life and as far as this season is concerned, it's
very, very early in the process.

I think THAT is what's exciting. The real possibilities. They are all in front of us. Whatever hype is left will likely be gone in just a couple of games.

From now on its business time.

Ekrub
12-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Just said on the mark few show that Michigan state was also recruiting him? I hadn't heard that before

sittingon50
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
"I don't like my guy to score."

CDC84
12-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Guy played on a loaded Midland JC team that went to the juco national title game. The roster had numerous D-1 players. He was probably a 4th option on offense. He did other things.

I expect a similar role at Gonzaga.

I agree with Pontiff....the kid is a variation on Erroll Knight. And that's alright by me, because Gonzaga doesn't have anybody playing right now that comes close to resembling that.

WallaWallaZag
12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Rio Runner View Post
Landry averaged 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist. He also shot 45% from the field, 40% from behind the 3-point line, and 60% FT. All at the JC level.

if guy can basically replicate those number for the zags + play good defense i would be pretty darn happy...wouldn't mind the ft% to be better though =).

Baldwinzag
12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
fwiw, HERE (http://guboards.com/showpost.php?p=681596&postcount=47) is an excellent breakdown by Stretchlimo following Guy's performance for the Ivory Coast this summer. . .

the rest of Guy's I.C. thread, along with game video & stats can be found HERE (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=35283&highlight=ivory+coast).

You don’t put up these kinds of numbers - as the youngest player on a team full of overseas professionals – unless you are confident, aggressive, and skilled.

Basically, Guy is picking up where he left off at Midland. Roughly a 9 points-per-game scorer for his two years there, he elevated his play in his last four games, averaging 16.3 points and 7.0 rebounds at the NJCAA National Championship.

One trend is for certain -- he plays his best bball in the biggest games.

Also, an overlooked aspect of Guy's game is he's very capable of drawing fouls at a decent rate, which is something this team is lacking in the backcourt. Carter has been aggressive & getting fouls called on occasion, yet more out of control than anything & refs have stopped calling them.

Besides Sacre(& Harris to a lesser extent), we need an offensive threat who can attack the rim and DRAW SHOOTING FOULS against more athletic teams. We know Guy can rebound/is tough/can defend, yet I'm excited about his ability to attack. See Illinois guards & forwards vs us i.e., attack.

Hart/Stocks/Pangos can get to the line with touch calls or when a team is playing catch-up, yet have not shown the ability to draw fouls w/i the offense. I think when KP becomes bigger/stronger(good frame), it'll come.

For instance, Pangos & Stocks attempted only ONE free-throw a piece vs Illinois. Mike Hart attempted ZERO.

I believe Guy can be that Guy. When our offense isn't able to execute a set effectively or is being swarmed by the defense or no one is stepping up on the road or answer a momentum run, we need at least one guy who can HIT the lane hard, attack the rim, and score a tough shot or draw a foul.

Illinois had this with Brandon Paul(who is built a lot like Guy Landry) to answer our mini-runs. He attacked the rim when Illini couldn't break the zone or looked confused by our scrappy defense at times. Illinois' Paul streaked in for the dunk, the foul, or made the extra pass to a wide-open Meyer Leonard when we collapsed on him.

Gonzaga doesn't have that right now(Carter is certainly trying yet his 170lbs isn't working -- weighs less than Pangos).

Guy will only help Sacre & Harris, just as an aggressive Brandon Paul helped open up the lane or baseline for Leonard. I compare his presence and play for Illinois to Guy for Gonzaga -- not the greatest offensive weapon, yet is an "enforcer" on both sides of the court and can attack the rim when needed.

bostonzagfan
12-05-2011, 06:52 AM
guy could be the missing piece this team needs. not because he is an All American, but because he compliments the other guys well. it is not hype to say that he is strong, athletic, and can finish at the rim. it is not hype to say that he will be able to be a better defender than most on GU.

it is hype to say that he will come in and score 12+ ppg with 6+ rebounds and play lock down defense. but maybe 8 points, 4 rebounds, and good defense, plus being a threat on offense (sorry but Hart is not a threat) could be exactly what this team needs to get over the hump. the roster as is, is very close to a top team. landry COULD, not WILL, but COULD get them where they need to be.

Reborn
12-05-2011, 07:37 AM
my understanding is that he is essentially an older, taller, more experienced gary bell

If he's in the mold of Gary Bell then Landry-Edi will be the Christmas present that the GU fans need. Can you imagine a starting lineup of Pangos, Bell, Landry-Edi, Harris and Sacre, with Stockton, Carter, Hart and Dower coming in off the bench? Now that's a good team. Landry-Edi will have plenty of time to prepare for the Zag's conference game against Santa Clara.

webspinnre
12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Less in the mold of Bell, more of Errol Knight, with better hands and shooting/slightly less athleticism & defense.