PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's: 'Day After' Illinois

Therunner
12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Day after Illinois report HERE (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/dec/04/day-after-illinois/). A long report today, be prepared. Injury updates toward the bottom -- terrific news on Gary Bell. Sounds as if he'll be checked out more thoroughly on Monday. Sacre's injury, surprisingly, appears more uncertain than Bell's at this point. Both players believe their injuries aren't serious or "all right".

A couple of Illinois-based reporters told me Illinois played its best game of the season by far in defeating Gonzaga 82-75 Saturday. They said the same thing about Illinois' win last year in the Battle in Seattle.

From all the e-mails I’ve seen and Tweets I’ve read, there seemed to be a consensus out there that GU’s newcomers and young backcourt struggled mightily in their first journey into a big-time road environment. That’s not quite what I witnessed. Freshmen Pangos and Gary Bell Jr., and sophomore David Stockton didn’t play lights out, but they didn’t flop on the big stage either.

Pangos, whose 15-point average is a somewhat skewed by his 33-point outburst against WSU, had 11 points, three assists, one steal and one turnover in 36 minutes, often operating against a quality defender in Richardson.

Pressed by another question about Richardson’s defense on Pangos, Few bristled.

“You guys must be seeing (something) I didn’t see. He had 11 points, three assists. He’s a freshman playing in his first road game,” Few said. “He’s not a 25-point a game guy. He missed a couple of 3s he usually makes. Richardson is a heck of a defender.”

Gonzaga’s guard line probably struggled more on the defensive end than the offensive end. Illini guards Richardson, Paul and Sam Maniscalco combined for 42 points, 12 boards, 10 assists, five steals and six turnovers.

I’ve mentioned this several times the last few years: Gonzaga players barely acknowledge any type of injuries, let alone the severity, often until the following season. See Steven Gray (multiple ailments), Josh Heytvelt (foot), Elias Harris (shoulder, Achilles), Marquise Carter (wrist), Robert Sacre (wrist), Matt Bouldin (calf.), etc. I mention this not to cause panic, but more as a word of caution.

ZagNative
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I love Meehan's day after posts. Thanks for linking!

Thomas_Sutpen
12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Anybody else notice this on the "Day After" page?

Season status

Record: 6-0

Next game: Gonzaga vs. Michigan State, Dec. 10

Previous game: Gonzaga vs. Illinois

I've heard of homer journalism, but this is ridiculous.

MedZag
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Anybody else notice this on the "Day After" page?

I've heard of homer journalism, but this is ridiculous.

http://thedropp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/monkey-covering-eyes.jpg