PDA

View Full Version : unspeakable ( Edi Suspension )

jazzdelmar
12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
i think its unspeakable that the sanctimonious ncaa hasnt cut edi's suspension. at 8 games thats nearly one third of the regular season for an alleged infraction that seems irrelevant. gonzaga has run a pristine program and its an affront that the ncaa has not recognized that and given the school a break, while thieves like ucon and crookapari, among many many others, get off virtually scott free....

Ekrub
12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
And when GU does come down on players, they come down hard (see:heytvelt)

DixieZag
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Even more insulting, it sounds like the NCAA did not even respond to the appeal of the decision. I saw a quote where Guy was asking the AD's compliance people whether they had heard back from the appeal and they have not heard a word. NOT that the appeal was denied, they haven't heard ANYTHING, which- in my mind, means they can't even be bothered to do one of two things: Give the record another look and see if they are sure they had all the information to make the decision OR can't even be bothered to send a letter saying that the appeal is denied for the following reasons.

Most people don't know that the decision was appealed, and the appeal has not been denied, they simply have not responded.

In terms of petty, sanctimonious, incosistent and money loving organizations, the NCAA can't be topped. Cal had a great Triple A professional farm team in Memphis for YEARS and he is coaching away on national TV yesterday, but Guy played a total of 4 games when he was 15 and 16 years old and he is paying a bigger price than Cal. Guy is a JC tx, he has 2 years total to play, 8 games is over 10% of his entire career.

bostonzagfan
12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
calipari brings more money to the ncaa than gonzaga. thats my explanation

Therunner
12-04-2011, 10:21 AM
occupy NCAA!

maynard g krebs
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Ex Husky in charge. Coincidence?

Thomas_Sutpen
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
It could be worse--Ask Mississippi State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7186951/mississippi-state-bulldogs-kristers-zeidaks-ruled-ineligible-season-part-next

Two more games, and we're good to go.

ZagMan in Philly
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
i think its unspeakable that the sanctimonious ncaa hasnt cut edi's suspension. at 8 games thats nearly one third of the regular season for an alleged infraction that seems irrelevant. gonzaga has run a pristine program and its an affront that the ncaa has not recognized that and given the school a break, while thieves like ucon and crookapari, among many many others, get off virtually scott free....

was there an explanasion from the NCAA on how they came up with 8 games? Seems high. Edi could have made a huge difference yesterday.

jazzdelmar
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
It could be worse--Ask Mississippi State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7186951/mississippi-state-bulldogs-kristers-zeidaks-ruled-ineligible-season-part-next

Two more games, and we're good to go.

ts-no, it makes my pt. msu is the poster child for cheating, going back to jackie sherrill's era. they deserve whatever the get. my pt is that gu runs a clean program and shld have been cut some slack. if i were the ad i wd be jumping all over the ncaa, back channels of course, to do so. so the cute little catholic school gets screwed while the professional cheats go on unabated. you think calhoun would be speechless on such an issue?; how about ricky p and coach k. no, they wd have their media lackeys -- you know who they are -- building a case for repeal. speaking of lackeys, how come katz hasnt been on this?

willandi
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
I brought this up in an earlier thread. If I was Gonzaga I would have the compliance office calling every day. I would be public about it, involving ESPN and AP. They (NCAA) can't make the punishment any worse. If he serves all 8 games, and THEN they reduce it, it was still an 8 game suspension!

jazzdelmar
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I brought this up in an earlier thread. If I was Gonzaga I would have the compliance office calling every day. I would be public about it, involving ESPN and AP. They (NCAA) can't make the punishment any worse. If he serves all 8 games, and THEN they reduce it, it was still an 8 game suspension!

will-we are in rare agreement. cute mutt. :)

3zagda
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM
At this point after 6 games, we wont change when we get him. We will have him for the Battle in Seattle, & I will be there to see him!!! I.just hope Few gives him plenty of minutes.

CDC84
12-04-2011, 10:46 PM

The problem is that there is a long track record of programs and coaches speaking out about such things, and all it does is make the NCAA pissed off and more likely to investigate you and sit out your players if they find out that some of them got free peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at a local restaurant.

kitzbuel
12-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Yup, unless you have the resources and will to go to war with a crime boss like this the crime boss usually wins.

willandi
12-05-2011, 06:11 AM
So what you are saying is, only a squeeky clean program, with national recognition and private financing would stand a chance?
Or that, in the face of unmitigated abuse of power, everybody should shake in their boots, cower behind their programs and hope that the evil despot does't notice them because if they do notice bad things will happen, whether deserved or not?
Got to be one of the 2 gentlemen. I have never been one to sit on my hands and allow someone to take advantage of me. I think you have to make the phone calls. If they choose to escalate, you take all the e-mails, transcribed phone calls and go public, and show that an abuse of power is taking place, and maybe THEY should be investigated by the bigger dogs.

willandi
12-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Over the years I have had to do this very thing (or very similar) many times. The first person always knows nothing and can't help you. You have to make sure that you ask and get their employee number and hopefully full name. Allowing a little anger to creep into your voice, but staying respectful, you ask for a supervisor, getting employee numbers and names, and proceed up the chain until a level is reached that has the authority to handle your situation.
The highest I have ever had to go was the Vice President in charge of International Shipping for Fedex. Wonderful Lady that understood the problem, and handled it fully and implemented changes to prevent such an occurance from happening and becoming more profitable for Fedex. The next highest was a vice President at Waste-Management.
In both cases I was vindicated, exhonerated and refunded the money or had the debt rescinded.
Surely their is somebody at Gonzaga that would relish such a task. It can be done in such a way that retaliation will not occur, especially at a clean program. If it does, you just have to scream loud and long. At some point, they will blink!

kitzbuel
12-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Willandi, you are 100% correct. My opinion is that it is too late to do anything for Guy. If this were to be fully challenged, the process would play out IMO well beyond this season, way too late to be of any good for this situation.

If we wanted to fix the problem that caused this situation, then it would be worth pursuing. That is where the will part comes in.

Birddog
12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
willandi, you were dealing with "for profit" capitalist co's. This is more like dealing with the IRS.

willandi
12-05-2011, 07:34 AM
So, Mark Few sets aside a 1-2hr block of time, in his office. With him is a stenographer/notary public. One by one, and using his speaker phone, he calls each of the men on the committee and asks them directly why nothing has been done. The infractions were not egregious, and under today's rules would not have resulted in suspensions. Either the 5-6 people on the committee realize the point, or they make excuses and blow him off. There will be a transcribed and notarized copy of what was said. If they change the ruling, Landry plays this weekend. If they don't, on Thursday Few presents Andy Katz with the transcripts and an interview raising the question, "Who makes the NCAA comply with NCAA compliance issues?"
It is done not just to help the Zags, but to help ALL NCAA teams that are having faux compliance issues.
I know it won't happen, but it is wrong! and faced with injustice everywhere our Caped Crusader takes to the skies...protecting the innocent, the weak and abused from the crimes of the arch enemy, the NCAA MACHINE!

kitzbuel
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
So, Mark Few sets aside a 1-2hr block of time, in his office. With him is a stenographer/notary public. One by one, and using his speaker phone, he calls each of the men on the committee and asks them directly why nothing has been done. The infractions were not egregious, and under today's rules would not have resulted in suspensions. Either the 5-6 people on the committee realize the point, or they make excuses and blow him off. There will be a transcribed and notarized copy of what was said. If they change the ruling, Landry plays this weekend. If they don't, on Thursday Few presents Andy Katz with the transcripts and an interview raising the question, "Who makes the NCAA comply with NCAA compliance issues?"
It is done not just to help the Zags, but to help ALL NCAA teams that are having faux compliance issues.
I know it won't happen, but it is wrong! and faced with injustice everywhere our Caped Crusader takes to the skies...protecting the innocent, the weak and abused from the crimes of the arch enemy, the NCAA MACHINE!
And they will all say, 'Oh, you are correct Mr. Few. We will have the paperwork correcting that to you the beginning of January.'

zag944
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
we are 5-1 and some young players are getting much needed court time (hell, according to this board every single bench player should be playing three times as many minutes).

It stinks not having our full squad, especially against some of the stronger opponents, but ultimately it isnt a big enough issue to raise a stink over. Bigger programs in bigger sports have raised bigger questions about bigger penalties and gotten nowhere.

Let's just take our lumps and do our best to make sure he is added to a 7-1 team.

zagitup
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Ex Husky in charge. Coincidence?

Not a coincidence...

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=32100&highlight=NCAA+President

If MF makes a stand on the Edi suspension, would things get worse? Maybe it's best to just lay low on this one...

HOOTER
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
This Landry suspension does stink to high heaven. That being said, the best revenge is success. Whether this is a result of Emmert being a vindictive #####, or just another abuse of power on the part of the NCAA, the best thing to do here is move on and make the best of it. Hopefully Edi channel his frustration in a positive way out on the court.

JPtheBeasta
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Aside from local media doing an expose or something and trying to put the NCAA on the spot, we are kind of all just stuck here twiddling our thumbs. IS this an abuse of power? I have no idea, but if I were an investigative reporter I would at least take a look at it. It does seem weird that if an appeal is allowed as part of the process that it hasn't been responded to, if such is the case. It should be pretty easy for them to just say no again, but a non-response is a little fishy unless they are not obligated to.

I am not getting too worked up about it because we really have no idea how it is effecting the team, but I feel bad for Landry missing some already truncated time on the basketball court

Baldwinzag
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
12/17/11.

A week & a half...

Guy is excited.

JPtheBeasta
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
How long does the reinstatement process take?
It depends on the complexity of the case. Most requests for reinstatement are resolved in about a week after the school has provided a complete request and the reinstatement staff has all the necessary information. For serious or complicated violations, there is no timeline. (italics added)

The above would suggest that the NCAA could sit on their hands indefinitely in a situation like Landry's. I'm not sure how "complicated" playing 4 games with a pro team as a 15-16 yo is, but it seems reasonable that a yes or no to the appeal would be a reasonable expectation by now...

willandi
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
So, the wolf is inviting all you sheep to his place, for dinner.

KitsapZag
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Don't you see that the NCAA has more important things to be concerned about; Like making sure that the Fuskies receive credits for attending Broadway plays while in NYC?

Away from the Garden, the Huskies won't be turning this Christmas time trip into a sightseeing expedition. Instead, they'll be completing a two-credit class arranged through a joint project between Washington's athletic administration and the school's drama department.
. . . .

These aren't easy credits.

Partnering with Washington's school of drama and executive director Sarah Nash Gates, the Huskies basketball team has taken three classes on the background of "Memphis," and "The Lion King," the two productions the players will see. The players have already completed written assignments, will conduct a debriefing with Gates after seeing the shows and will be required to complete a final paper within a few days of returning to Seattle.
. . . .

"There was a lot of give-and-take and sending supporting documentation to the NCAA to make sure it was all on the up and up," Durand said.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/dec/04/washingtons-nyc-trip-more-than-just-hoops/#ixzz1fi4cEA2u

They need to make sure their players have enough credits to graduate.

willandi
12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I would rather have dinner with Harris. Word is, he loves a good steak. My kind of dinner!

+1 me too! Tenderloin please. Doesn't have to be big...just gooooood!

MDABE80
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Tw nice losses comin right up for the Huskies vs Marquette and Duke. Hope they enjoy the trip!....best part is that both losses will be on National TV . Good for recruiting. ......;)

duper
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
With the rule change it seems this should basically be a non issue! The Cougars lost a player a few years ago for a full year.(Fabian Boeke) but that was pre rule change.

HOOTER
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
+1 me too! Tenderloin please. Doesn't have to be big...just gooooood!

Meh. Tenderloin is tender, but lacking flavor. I'll take a ribeye or porterhouse thank you. :)

willandi
12-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Meh. Tenderloin is tender, but lacking flavor. I'll take a ribeye or porterhouse thank you. :)

Rib steak is always my second choice. But it's generally a larger portion, with a tougher section. I like the premier piece best. Tenderloin.

HOOTER
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Rib steak is always my second choice. But it's generally a larger portion, with a tougher section. I like the premier piece best. Tenderloin.

Understood, but the porterhouse is hard to beat. You get the tenderloin and the strip steak in one, plus a bone which adds flavor. Still, it's hard to beat a bacon wrapped filet mignon topped with blue cheese. :drool: Did we get a bit off topic? Oh well.

webspinnre
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM

The problem with tenderloin is that it lacks the fat that gives it all that good juiciness and flavor. I'll take the ribeye.

Oregonzagnut
12-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I know the thread is now about steak and not edi anymore but...

Not answering is a calculated choice by the NCAA. Not choosing is to make a choice, so by not answering they uphold their original decision. They know Edi is not a ringer pro from some Euro-league disguised as a student. But the NCAA is self absorbed and profit driven by indirectly helping big schools with big ticket buyers to drive TV audiences and get those teams into the big dance. All this by attacking our future European recruiting.

Gonzaga has built a long history to compete with the Pac-12 and other power conferences for recruits (not just UW and WSU). But most mid-majors rely on great coaching and finding 2-3 star under recruited gems after the majors take the 4-5 star kids. Parity is great for the sport, but bad for TV business and selling advetising. NCAA is business first. Punishing Gonzaga and Edi is about business and recruiting IMO. The fact the NCAA supports a corrupt BCS in spite of everyone knowing it is an insider profit driven system is proof the NCAA sells our sport and athletes to the highest bidder. In college, the bowl games could easily be restructured to fit a tournament. But the NCAA wants to control who plays and who advertises, and hence, who watches.

"No response" is a simple deliberate and effective tactic to protect their power. IMO, this suspension directly hinders our recruiting in the future. that is by design. IMO, the NCAA board members are actively maintaining a system to cash in on salaries and perks while building personal financial networks by doing favors for rich boosters.

But then again, maybe they all just missed the memo.:roll: