PDA

View Full Version : Just what do you expect?

HillBillyZag
12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Our kids made more mistakes then theirs did and they made the Zags pay for almost all of them. Few and his Staff have made it perfectly clear that this version of the Zags is a work in progress and that was obvious at times in todays game. Some you have no idea of the blood sweat & tears it takes to play basketball at the NCAA Div.1? Out of the more than 375 schools playing
at this level you can count on your hand the schools that have the success and International reputation to pick and choose from the highest ranks of scholastic stars that graduate yearly. Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, Duke, and
North Carolina are past worrying about merely winning their Conference and gaining a high tournament seed. but consider anything less than a Championship game or final four appearance be just a mediocre season. Two of these schools, I'll let you guess which?, have and will again cheat in one way or another?, to improve their chances. The other three run comparitively clean programs, actually have student/athletes,and continue to compete.Lets look at todays opponent, the University of Illinois; Bruce Weber is a good coach who emphasizes fundimentals, and runs a clean program. His School has nearly 42,000 students just on the main campus at Urbana-Champaign. GU has about 8000 students or so. Their All-time Record is 1650 W's to 882 L's. Big Ten All Time Record is 880-635. NCAA appearances is
29/2011. Tourney Record is 39-30. In all those years they've made 5 Final Fours and two National Titles, the last in 2005. They have won the Big Ten Title 17 times. Now it is true they lost four starters from last season, and just one other returning lettman. They brought back seven (7) letterman, including Juniors Brandon Paulson Tyler Griffey, sophomore Lenard Meyers and fifth year senior San Maniscalco, an All-MVC Guard form Bradley. So we did'nt lose to a bunch of frosh, those I mentioned played a large role in our demise.
Amd how's this for irony? Their other frosh big Nnanna Egwa, 6'11", 259 lbs,
played and graduated from Chicago St. Ignatius, yep,its a Jesuit high school all right! Assembly Hall seats 16,618, while McCarthey tops out at 6000. Kennel Club can't make up for that amount of screaming? And now to the hoopa dollars and cents : Illinois
Revenue Expense Profit Margin
$14,507,336,00 $4,772,399.00 $9,734,937.00 61.7 %
Gonzaga University
$4,075,450.00 $3,053,437.00 $1,022,313.00 25.1 %
To sum up this rant?, If a school like Illinois, a BCS Conference member, just a few hours drive from Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit with excellent Coaching and a large pocketbook to play with?,cannot reasonably count on a yearly basis to win an annual bid?, let alone an elite eight or final four spot in the "Big Dance" ?, can The Bulldogs be realistically expected to do more ?

Zags11
12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
What the zags have done, for this long? Amazing! :000tens:

The zags have been special and I love them to death.....they fought hard today. They fell short, losses happen. It is what you learn from shortcomings. Zags couldnt get over the bump today, but they have tons of heart.

Oregonzagnut
12-03-2011, 06:36 PM

The zags have been special and I love them to death.....they fought hard today. They fell short, losses happen. It is what you learn from shortcomings. Zags couldnt get over the bump today, but they have tons of heart.

I expect a progression to a national championship game. Our past is the past. We have the right to keep expecting more. In the past we seem to ALWAYS be a work in progress all the way up to the Dance.

But this year is different. We have 2 NBA guys who will likely not be back next year. I think Few has committed earlier than normal to some semblance of a consistent rotation before WCC. Maybe that would help us work out the kinks with chemistry and familiarity PRIOR to the big dance.

I think Few is sticking with his bread and butter NOW. He did it maybe to a fault today, but at least our guys could see how close we were to pulling it off today.

Hoff, Keita and Dower will have to learn and wait until next year to start or get significant PT. Even if they are doing everything right, there still is a hierarchy of skill and talent and seniority. I'm hope Few is committing earlier than later to a clear rotation.

I think this might be what we need to go further in the tournament. "IF" we get there.

23dpg
12-04-2011, 06:11 AM
I expect a progression to a national championship game. Our past is the past. We have the right to keep expecting more. In the past we seem to ALWAYS be a work in progress all the way up to the Dance.

But this year is different. We have 2 NBA guys who will likely not be back next year. I think Few has committed earlier than normal to some semblance of a consistent rotation before WCC. Maybe that would help us work out the kinks with chemistry and familiarity PRIOR to the big dance.

I think Few is sticking with his bread and butter NOW. He did it maybe to a fault today, but at least our guys could see how close we were to pulling it off today.

Hoff, Keita and Dower will have to learn and wait until next year to start or get significant PT. Even if they are doing everything right, there still is a hierarchy of skill and talent and seniority. I'm hope Few is committing earlier than later to a clear rotation.

I think this might be what we need to go further in the tournament. "IF" we get there.

No we don't. I'll take any wager you want on that statement.

bartruff1
12-04-2011, 06:59 AM

You are very wise at 11....keep telling the truth, but realize that like the poor, the clueless will always be with us. People who have no concept or appreciation for what is going on here and who criticise players for not being able to do what they are not able to do....the coach for not being as smart or as dedicated as they think they are... and somehow they see that as virtue? I figure putting up with them is the price you have to pay to access the links and info available in here...