PDA

View Full Version : Seeding in Alaska

Butler Guy
07-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know how the seeding works for the Great Alaska Shootout?

I'd personally just take the previous year's final Sag Rating and go from there, but I doubt they're that logical. Anyone have a clue? Also, any word on the two teams that will replace Liberty and WSU?

CDC84
07-06-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.anchorage.net/shootout

Zero news on a replacement for Wazzu. Same with seeding....although I have a sneaking suspicion that Gonzaga is going to get Alaska-Anchorage in the opening round.

Akzag
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Personally, it isn't about seedings, it is about matchups and ESPN has a lot to say about it.

I'd put my money on Texas Tech meeting UAA on Wednesday. GU would be my second guesstimate. And the second "weakest" team will play in the other Wednesday matchup.

Of course, it all comes down to who they do find for the remaining slot. It sounds most likely that it will be a directional state school with an outside ray of hope of a rather good squad.

BBskorer
07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
If memory serves, only 2 of the 4 1st-rd games are televised, with UAA getting one of the TV spots. We know GU will get TV as well, so yeah, decent chance of GU/UAA. My hope is that they'll split 'em up like they did in '01. Then, hoping they also opposite-bracket the 2 best teams (GU & Butler), maybe UAA/Butler on Wed and GU/TTU on Thu? (I'm thinking Bobby Knight gets TV over any bracket-balance concerns)

There ends my part-hope, part-pure-speculation.

btw, notice ButlerGuy also said a replacement is needed for Liberty (backed up by a couple threads on FlameFans (http://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=db3c28de2577605fa9b67641443bb9d3)). Man, I know the season seems a long ways off. But ain't it getting kinda late to find TWO teams? I am not jealous of the folks who still have to put this one together!!

JAGzag
07-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I'll take any seed that gives us an opportunity to pay back Butler for last year :)

Butler Guy
07-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I'll take any seed that gives us an opportunity to pay back Butler for last year :)

Whether it be in the championship game or in the semi-finals, a rematch of last year's NIT championship is likely unavoidable. I can't imagine that the likes of Western Kentucky, Texas Tech, Michigan, Anchorage, and whomever they find to replace Liberty and Washington State are likely to knock off either Dawgs.

I'd seed the tournament this way, assuming the replacement teams are proxies of Western Kentucky.

1. Gonzaga
8. AK-Anchorage
4. Michigan
5. Western Kentucky
3. Texas Tech
6. Replacement A
2. Butler
7. Replacement B

Nevtelen
07-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Last year, A-Anchorage played LMU and Cal (clearly the favorites to win last year) started with Marshall. I guess you could argue with who the "bigger" team is going in since Butler beat us last year, but GU is still the bigger name. I'd assume GU vs Liberty replacement and Butler vs AK-A. As an organizer, I might also put Texas Tech in a position to play GU because of the tourney game a couple of years back. Ok, the organizers might not think about that. But revenge would be sweet, so I'm going with that. And, of course, GU and Butler would be on opposite sides of the bracket so they'd theoretically end up in the finals together.

So I'd say:

GU
Replacement (assuming low-major Liberty replacement)

TTech
Replacement (assuming it's a mid- or low major replacement for Wazzu)

Michigan
W Kentucky

Butler
AK-A

Akzag
07-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I guess you could argue with who the "bigger" team is going in since Butler beat us last year, but GU is still the bigger name

With all due respect - incorrect - Bobby Knight trumps either. Remember, these are Div II guys (UAA) and they and the coach have a say about who they will face first. The AD asks the coach, the coach asks the players, and the AD goes to ESPN to get it okayed. ESPN will okay their selection of TT.

Twenty years from now, they can say, yes I played against a Bob Knight coached team. That matters. GU or Butler might even have a better squad right now, but they lack the cachet of The General, at least historically.

The weakest DI team will be set up to have to play UAA in the second round, should the home team not pull off an upset (UAA has 28 wins in 29? years - that isn't an accident).

All of this is of course, idle specualtion until the actual bracket comes out, which in turn won't come out until the bracket is filled.

kyle dixon
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
At least we will not be in the same bracket as UCLA or Indiana this time around :)