PDA

View Full Version : Team USA beats Africa 102-51: Bouldin with 6 boards, 3 assists

CDC84
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=07_mu19_exh2

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2007/07_mu19_exhbox2.pdf

Matt played 17 minutes. Unfortunately, he still can't seem to get a bucket to fall, but like Matt always seems to do, he helped his team win in other ways.

Team USA plays Puerto Rico tonight at 6pm CDT.

JAGzag
07-06-2007, 09:37 AM
He can't seem to buy a bucket in this thing ... what does this do to a guy's confidence leading into the start of the season? I remember there were a lot of discussions about the pros/cons of these things, will this be a con?

sonuvazag
07-06-2007, 09:47 AM
He can't seem to buy a bucket in this thing ... what does this do to a guy's confidence leading into the start of the season? I remember there were a lot of discussions about the pros/cons of these things, will this be a con?
The way I see it, only Matt can decide how missing shots affects his confidence. That he took seven field goal attempts puts me at ease. I would be more concerned if he didn't take any shots.

At least he's taking chances. If he's trying new things and making mistakes/misses, he can justify that in his own head as part of the learning curve. No one could convince me that Matt lacks the tools to be a go-to scorer at any level. Learning new things and reaching beyond the comfort zone involves mistakes and as long as he feels the same way, I still expect great improvement.

thickman1
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
In the USA basketball article posted the other day he did mention that they were working on altering his shot. I'm sure that is playing a factor in his inability to score the ball right now.

MDABE80
07-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Matt's an incredibly talented kid. I've always thought having RayG join our coaching ranks would help this type of problem..ie a kid hits a shooting slump and needs to figure it out. Ray brings such a diverse abilities to coaching, this type of thing will be worked out. Just some focus and attention on young Matt will solve this. Matt's shown he has extraordinary talent . Not worried about this. It would be much better if Matt was knockin em down from everywhere.......no doubt. Not happening. An awful lot will happen before the season. This'll be a bump in the road to the ( Final Four)........?:)

Nevtelen
07-06-2007, 10:50 AM
The first time was not great. This time is a little worrying, especially because not only did he barely hit a shot, but he had as many turn-overs as assists. I suppose some of it has to do with playing with a lot of guys he's unfamiliar with in an unfamiliar system, but I do hope he gets going.

ZaginLaw
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
He shot better than Tajaun Porter...with less minutes...

ZagManFan
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
The whole team only shot 42%. Most of the players are getting at or above 7 shots a game, so I feel that Matt will get his shots and will break out soon. To good to not have that happen.

cggonzaga
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I have to laugh at some of the things people on this board worry about. It's been two games and he's taken all of 10 shots? Matt will be fine. The thing that concerns me is who is tinkering with his shot? If it's the coaching staff here at GU then that's ok. If it's the team U.S.A. coaches then I have a problem. To me that's something that should be cleared with Mr. Few and co. and I can't imagine they would be thrilled about this. He's our player for 2 or 3 more years not just a couple months. I'm not saying his team U.S.A. coaches don't know what they're doing, I just don't think they should be messing with someone else's player.

Nevtelen
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but it's the off season. What else do we have to do but speculate and worry? :p

I got the impression from the article that Bouldin had been working on his shot for longer than just for the USA trials. I'd agree that a temporary coach shouldn't be initiating something like that, but I can't believe that's the case.

sonuvazag
07-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I have to laugh at some of the things people on this board worry about. It's been two games and he's taken all of 10 shots? Matt will be fine. The thing that concerns me is who is tinkering with his shot? If it's the coaching staff here at GU then that's ok. If it's the team U.S.A. coaches then I have a problem. To me that's something that should be cleared with Mr. Few and co. and I can't imagine they would be thrilled about this. He's our player for 2 or 3 more years not just a couple months. I'm not saying his team U.S.A. coaches don't know what they're doing, I just don't think they should be messing with someone else's player.
I wasn't worried until now. Would they dare?