PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: WCC's rise

Baldwinzag
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
A snippet from the CB 'Rumor' section today:

Insider article -- more HERE (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors).

Is this the year of the West Coast Conference?

Is this the season that the nation realizes there is more to the WCC than just Gonzaga, St. Mary's and BYU? Judging by the early returns this season, the answer could very well be "yes."

Rob Dauster of the popular basketball blog ballinisahabit.net recently called the WCC the best mid-major conference in the country, and it's hard to argue. Only one school (Portland) in the nine-school conference is currently below .500, and the depth of the WCC is starting to show with the emergence of schools like Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount and San Francisco.

"What do Villanova, UCLA, Saint Louis, New Mexico, Arizona State & UNI have in common?" Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo tweeted earlier this week. "They've all lost to WCC teams besides Gonzaga or BYU."

:cheers:

DZ
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
THIS is wonderful news. WE all knew that the conference would be as tough as ever this year - quite possibly 3 conference losses will still win the conference, but it is really good if the REST of the country knew how good the conference was so that if (when) we drop a game against SCU or LMU, it is not a "bad loss" in the eyes of the committee.

We need to keep racking up every win we can get in the OOC schedule, Saturday being the first "big" test, b/c the conference is going to be a dog fight this year.

NotoriousZ
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
"What do Villanova, UCLA, Saint Louis, New Mexico, Arizona State & UNI have in common?" Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo tweeted earlier this week. "They've all lost to WCC teams besides Gonzaga or BYU."

This could really help out SMC. If the WCC has 4-5 "quality" teams this year, the Gaels will have some help with their otherwise *mostly* pathetic schedule.

jimmy b
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM

This could really help out SMC. If the WCC has 4-5 "quality" teams this year, the Gaels will have some help with their otherwise *mostly* pathetic schedule.

its a long season. If they can beat Baylor, they should be looking good with 2nd place WCC finish (not that this is a given).

Rob Jones has had a double double in all games thus far.

btzag
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I would be shocked if they beat Baylor. Hope they do...but seriously doubt it. Really tough for a good mid-major to beat a top-level D1 school that has tons of NBA athleticism, think Memphis from the Calipari era.

Oregonzagnut
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
While any single teams RPI at this point in the season is skeptical, the conference RPI is more valid IMO.

WCC now has its highest conference RPI it has ever had!!! #7

At #7 as of Dec 1 2011, the Pac-12, Horizon and Conference USA are below us!!

I exaggerate my excitement only mildly since BYU only slightly helped us and SMC's skewed ranking has put us into the #7 spot.

But with LMU and Pepp winning big games and pretty much 5 of the 9 teams with winning percentages, the WCC rocks!!!

The WCC, IMO is the West Coast Ivy League of Basketball!!!

We are the elite mid-major basketball conference. And I do not think BYU (RPI #218!! BTW) will leave because they have successfully split conferences for FB (independant) and BKbll (WCC).

Sports is big business and this year could be a payday if we keep the faith and the focus.

And by payday I mean the cure for the mid-major little man syndrome. And by "we" I mean the WCC.

Birddog
12-02-2011, 03:29 AM
I would be shocked if they beat Baylor
Remember, Baylor is coached by Scott Drew, he has an extensive history of effing up. Great athletes @ baylor, coaching?

MickMick
12-02-2011, 04:23 AM
I would be shocked if they beat Baylor. Hope they do...but seriously doubt it. Really tough for a good mid-major to beat a top-level D1 school that has tons of NBA athleticism, think Memphis from the Calipari era.

I couldn't disagree more.

The NBA athleticism thing is over the top. There are not that many players that have it. Baylor might have one. Last year, VCU didn't have any.

I would be shocked if SMC beats Baylor, but not for the reason you give.

zagzilla
12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
As of yesterday the WCC also had the team with the #1 RPI. That means you could make the argument that the Gaels are the best team in the country right?

ZZ

WanderingZag
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I couldn't disagree more.

The NBA athleticism thing is over the top. There are not that many players that have it. Baylor might have one. Last year, VCU didn't have any.

I would be shocked if SMC beats Baylor, but not for the reason you give.

Baylor has more than one player with NBA athleticism.

I don't see that theory being over the top at all, as long as the team is well coached. Which they usually are if they're attracting that type of talent and athleticism. A fair few of Calipari's teams for instance.

TexasZagFan
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
As of yesterday the WCC also had the team with the #1 RPI. That means you could make the argument that the Gaels are the best team in the country right?

ZZ

You can, I won't. :lmao:

primal23
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

All teams that SMC wont play because they can't get home and homes starting in their dump...err gym.

zagzilla
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
You can, I won't. :lmao:

Alamedafan will though :fingergun: