• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russell Bevan
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

Thoughts on 2007, 08

Friends,

It seems like every year our team ends up having a different personality and I am always surprised at how they come together, with the possible exception of Blake's jr. and sr.years. That said this years team is more of a mystery then any since Dan Dickau's first season.

Going into 2007 here is what I think I know:

We will score points, lots and lots of points. I base this on:
    Micha's year end run.
    Bouldin's fr. to so. year bump, which should be huge (remember Adam's?).
    Josh being ready to go from day one, with the possibility of actually having his focus on hoops.
    Pargo being the man at the point from day one, he is our floor general. Last year there were times when he took over games and he has the ability to do so against elite talent.

Add in Austin, Stephen who are both natural scorers and we will be able to put up points.

We are SG and SF rich with Bouldin, Micha, Austin, Stephen, Ira (who could play the 4) and LG. We could very easily play a lot of small ball and in WCC play be able to run teams off of the floor.

Pendo and Pargo are great leaders and this team will have a little more fire then the last couple of teams and that is a good thing.

With all of our scorers Bouldin will take over games, but only the people who really know hoops will know it.

What we don't know:

Who is going to bang? Kuso is our only big man with any NCAA experience, who can move people in the paint. Sacre is a freshman, Theo and Will are thin, Ira and Pendo should be 3's not a 4 or 5 and Josh plays like a 3. Rebounding and toughness could be our biggest area of concern.

With Sacre and Theo ready to play and Pendo playing the 4 will Kuso and Will get many minutes?

Now that Billy is gone what will happen to our D? I believe there will be a big jump in efficiency.

With all of our long, quick wings and 4s we should play better perimeter D then we have in years.

The kids: Austin will get minutes, he is a player. Sacre will get minutes, but how many, do we need him this year? Same goes for Stephen, might one of them redshirt as Josh did as an elite prospect?

Larry G? Is he still part of the mix? We all love him and he has great physical skills, but does he have the feel for the game we need?

Who is the surprise, who steps up and makes us take notice? Will we be surprised if Austin puts up 12ppg in WCC play? If Theo averages a near double double? If Micha puts 20 ppg?

Isn't it time that Few and Co. bring in another impact foreign player? Somebody like Super Mario, J.P. or Ronny?

After the excitement and pain of last year I am ready for this coming season to arrive.

Russell Bevan
  • Hogan
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Great post.I would just add that along with interior toughness,another question I have is our outside shooting.Hopefully Boldin and Pargo make major strides in this area.

Comment

• MickMick
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

The Zags in a nutshell....well done.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Great thoughtful analysis, Russell.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• jpwils
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Another aspect

Improved free throw shooting-from the entire team.
          Raivio is gone-all others must step up

Comment

• drnoe
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Great job, Russell. Thanks, I needed that...118 days to go. The '07-'08 Zags definitely have the potential for a very special season that will likely make us all drool in anticipation for '08-'09. The upcoming season could very well solidify a long-term pipeline for recruiting and future success.

Comment

• tyra
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Superb Post

Superb work, Russell. TY.

Comment

• DenDiegoZag
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Wow...Great Post...With that kind of Analysis are we sure that it is only July? That type of detailed look at the personality of the team does not usually surface until about September...GO ZAGS!!!
                Rolling down the street...with my mind on my Foo and my Foo on my mind...

Comment

• MBZags
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

In regards to rebounding, I think Josh can provide the brunt of that. I remember that game before he got suspended where he was a force, grabbing 20+ rebounds.

Comment

• Zags-Bsee
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Jul 2007

Chrunch time

Chrunch time, 90 seconds to go...

Who is the go to scorer that has Tiger Woods stronger performance under pressure....

And can we play lock down team defense?

Better yet, can we do this for a full game and just be up by 20 points.
                    Zags - Best sports event ever
                    Character - Small Community - and Zags do BB right.

Comment

• Russell Bevan
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Zags-Bsee,

Points under pressure, give it to Pargo. I hate how he managed the clock in the closing seconds, but he can correct that. What he does do is close.

I think we will be able to get stops, this team will be able to play both long and quick. Pargo, LG, Josh, Micha and Will would be tough for anybody to score on.

I have no idea if this will be the team that blows people out and plays with fire for a full game, I sure hope so.

Russell

Comment

• DavyZag
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Jul 2007

Pendo's Got It

Originally posted by Russell Bevan View Post

I have no idea if this will be the team that blows people out and plays with fire for a full game, I sure hope so.

Russell
                        You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that with my man Pendo as the captain/leader/heartandsoul of the team, that (playing with fire for a full game) won't be as much of a problem as it has been the past few years.

Two years ago, it was the Ammo show, and for better or worse the guys would sometimes just stand around and watch Ammo be his amazing self.

Last year, Raivio was the "leader", but, good of a player as he was, he just doesn't have that vocal, commanding presense or personality. I think he preferred to just do his role, and that lead to a bit of a vaccuum in leadership.

This year, though, I think Pendo will get the guys on the same page at the beginning of the season and really keep them in line. He'll almost be like a player-coach, I think... I mean, come on! Has there ever been a player you were more dure of one day (soon, I would guess) turning into an excellent coach than Pendo?

Comment

• sonuvazag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DavyZag View Post
                          I mean, come on! Has there ever been a player you were more dure of one day (soon, I would guess) turning into an excellent coach than Pendo?
                          Pendo for Mayor of Zagville.
                          Agent provocateur

Comment

• Zags-Bsee
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Jul 2007

Points under pressure, give it to Pargo.
                            If Pargo grows in this area as much as he grew last year, we should be in for a treat, especially with who he can pass too. I hope he develops a Stockton-Malone screen and drive ability with people like Josh-Pendo-Downs. Perfectiong that all year would be troublesome for other teams at tourney time with Pargo's explosive speed to the hoop.

I think we will be able to get stops, this team will be able to play both long and quick. Pargo, LG, Josh, Micha and Will would be tough for anybody to score on.
                            Remembering Josh's, Micha's and Kuso's great blocks does make for fun memories. If we can shut down the 3 as well, it will be less frustrating.

I hope that is the personality they develop as you reference in this thread. Great defense and some hot shooting might take us deep into the tourney.
                            In short, playing like we did against NC last year vs. finishing like we did against UCLA in the tourneyment.

Reading posts like yours and others at least lets us enjoy Zag basketball in our minds until it arrives.

If you were an opposing coach, which of our players would you least like to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line for the final shot?

I'm not sure we have a go to scorer, but maybe a balanced team pass to the open shooter type finishing team. I can live with that with who I think will be on the floor at the end of the game. I hope they all develop a Tiger Woods toughness.
                            Zags - Best sports event ever
                            Character - Small Community - and Zags do BB right.

Comment

• Hoopmeister
                              Redshirt
                              • Jul 2007

A good post by RB. I enjoyed reading it. My impressions of next years team are somewhat different. I don't quite see the mystery of '07-'08 being all that big. I think we have like six guys returning, and I think all six of them started at least one game last year. I also think that, considering all the disruptions last year, that this years team was pretty darn good. No. I see a very good Zag team returning for '07. I see a team that really does have something to prove, and so far (from what I'm reading) they seem to be working extrememly hard during the off season.

The biggest improvement on the team is going to be the bench. We really did not have a great bench last year. We were very, very thin in the post as well. I do see much improvement in the post positions as well.

Every year is a mystery, and that's what makes college basketball so much fun. Each year we have new players coming in, and they certainly are a mystery to some extent. There's been so much written about our new guys I almost feel like I know them better than the guys returning. The mystery remains, however, because I haven't seen them play.

What is NOT a mystery to me is: Pargo is going to awesome. Josh is going to be awesome. Matt is going to be much improved. Downs will thrill us with his 3 pt markesmanship. Pendo will be a great leader and lead this team back to the path of Zag teams in the past. Kuso will be improved, and will definately contribute next year. We loved him last year, and will again because this guy DOES have that Zag spirit we all love. He will be better next year. If LG is able to play, we know we have one tough cookie coming back.

What has caught my attention about the new guys is that Daye is a great offensive basketball player in the cut of Adam, that Ira Brown is a great athlete and tough as nails, that Sacre is going to be a beast in the post. This is all very good news.

The question now will be. How well do they play together? If there is a big mystery, that is it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X