PDA

View Full Version : Stockton and Hart

U Zig, I Zag
12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Probably doesn't need another thread for this :horse: but I just wanted to commit, in writing, my application to the bandwagon.

Both these kids deserve to play and have proved it, especially the last couple games. There will be games where they are not needed or don't match up well to the opposing teams, but those games will be less and less as conference play starts.

Sneaky, scrappy, pestering (on D), just flat-out hustle and good Bball IQ.

I will probably complain here now and again about some aspect of their game (this board can be cathartic for me) but I am done questioning why Hart might start or why DS came in to the game so early, etc. They get it done out there and that's good enough for me.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Last night was the most confident I've seen Stockton on offense. I really liked that floating bank shot from the left side. Very smooth.

zag67
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
+1. I agree. The hustle all over the court is really fun to watch. Both give their all when they are on the court and on the bench. Go Zags.

gamagin
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
last night that DS & KP are getting better daily in practice, too, challenging each other relentlessly & daily. He added it's a tossup who has the upper hand day to day.

Win-win. DS has definitely stepped up his game in the last two. It's a fast track for everyone willing to stay on it and perform.

Hart earns his keep. He, too, is mentoring in the process. It can only make the team better and his understudies accelerate their games, too.

Ezag
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Stockton has been "money" lately. Kid's got a swagger about him of confidence. I think he is the type that thrives on competition. His defense has improved, his shot is much better, got a great handle and he is deceptively quick.

Stocks and Pangos at the same time is definitely a two-headed dragon.

Hart just puts in 110% every possession. He has earned his keep.

04ZagFan
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Was there any question with Stockton? He's playing quite a bit better than Pangos right now.

BULLDOG#1
12-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Gotta agree with the comments about Stockton. He's been much better than I thought. Completely confident. It's almost like he's better coming off the bench because he doesn't have the pressure of being the starter.

Playing him and Pangos together really helps the flow of the offense. I cannot believe that opponents haven't exploited that when we're on defense...

Often times last year I would cringe when DS launched a 3. This year he seems to be money. It's probably Pango's influence that stockton is looking to shoot more, too. This is important for the zags, as it opens up the offense.

Two scoring point guards, scoring 2 guards in Bell or Carter, and a low post presense like Harris and Sacre create makes for a pretty balanced offense. Hart is great on defense and I like his activity on the glass -- but just think of what Edi could bring.

This team is not there yet, but it's putting it all together.

Say what you will about the Irish this year, but that's still a 20 point win over a big east school. It's important because the frosh class can gain some experience against a big time program. If the zags can keep the momentum and get a huge win against the illini, then I see them beating down sparty too.

Maybe it's the coolaid this morning, but win or lose against the illini, there seems to be some great momentum building with this team...

U Zig, I Zag
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Was there any question with Stockton? He's playing quite a bit better than Pangos right now.

I think so. Against 'elite' athletes anyway. That's always been my dig against him, but it's purely size/speed. He makes up for it though with savvy on the D side. On the games I have rewatched, and paying attention to Stockton in particular, he is ALWAYS getting a jump on the ball on D. Always looking to steal the pass. He actually gives his man a little room and is waiting for that jump on the ball.

zagzilla
12-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I particularly loved Stockton's shake and bake dribble drive that froze their hotshot guard #22 in his tracks. Pretty nifty for a supposedly un-athletic kid. Keep up the great work!

ZZ

john montana
12-01-2011, 08:29 AM
love stockton's game lately. keep it up DS!

As for hart, I'm a big fan when he isn't out there for nearly 30 minutes a game. 13 minutes is perfect and he can wreak havoc in that amount of time...

we played pretty well last night!

04ZagFan
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I think so. Against 'elite' athletes anyway. That's always been my dig against him, but it's purely size/speed. He makes up for it though with savvy on the D side. On the games I have rewatched, and paying attention to Stockton in particular, he is ALWAYS getting a jump on the ball on D. Always looking to steal the pass. He actually gives his man a little room and is waiting for that jump on the ball.

Well, yes, that's 100% true but we are gonna struggle against elite athletes whether it's Pangos or Stockton out there. These are the games that we're going to see if Gary Bell Jr can play point guard.

gozagswoohoo
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I've been so impressed with Stocks this season. He is probably my favorite player at the moement.

Random side note....was I the only person that felt REALLY bad for Stockton when he got PLOWED over after a FT last night??? He turned his head, and I think it was Cooley that ran into him, and Stockton just went flying.

I felt bad for him, sprawled out on the floor....what can you do though??? (He DID get up, and continue to destroy ND. So I guess that makes up for it!)

Zag79
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I love what Stockton has done the last couple games, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Pangos is averaging 15 ppg and almost 3 assists. David is at 6 ppg and 1 assist, hardly "quite a bit better" than pangos. Since Kevin went off against wsu he has been guarded much closer, and it seems to be working to Davids advantage. Not only that, I think its pretty obvious that David makes a better backup than he does a starter. Kevin will be the pg no matter who we play, I highly doubt we'll see GBJ run point at all.

Baldwinzag
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Stock has been the 'Big Man on Campus' the last two games.

Everyone on the team is stepping up at the right time every night out.

Pangos & Stocks play really well together. They find a way to beat everyone down the court by passing to one another. Its not about Pangos vs Stocks, rather Pangos AND Stocks. Who would have imagined that before the season?

Our two PG's combined for 27 points last night & played very, very well.

Props to David.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Remember all the rants last year at this time about our PG play? What a difference a year makes!!

Baldwinzag
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Remember all the rants last year at this time about our PG play? What a difference a year makes!!

Amen Brother.

Our PG play = :clap: