PDA

View Full Version : Wulff out as WSU football coach

IrishZagFan
11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Wulff out WSU Football Coach (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/29/wulff-out-wsu-football-coach/)

PULLMAN – Paul Wulff was fired as Washington State’s football coach Tuesday morning after meeting with athletic director Bill Moos.

Wulff was just 9-40 in his four years at Washington State, 4-32 in Pac-12 Conference play. In the end, that was not good enough.

“Paul and I met at length Sunday, and then spoke again this morning, after which I determined the best path for Cougar football moving forward is to have a change of leadership,” said Moos in a prepared statement. “I appreciate all that Paul has done for Washington State football. He was hired with the objective of rebuilding this program and establishing a solid foundation. For that I thank him.”

Sorry to see Paul let go, I thought he had turned the corner.......

gamagin
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
but WSU now has a clean slate going forward. allegedly.

Tons of money will pour in from the new PAC 12 football contract, they have plans for an $80M new stadium, complete with suites (talk about a McMansion in the middle of sh!ts creek) and all kinds of big, big dreams for the future.

Wulff was brought in to clean up the complete mess made by many of the folks still operating behind the scenes who allowed Bill Doba to destroy what was left of the program.

Whether WSU owed Wulff more time or not, I don't know. I do know the "fans" stayed away in droves after Doba and left Wulff to do his work as if he had caused the problems.

Whatever he did well, it wasn't public relations. And PR is important in a tiny town that doubles its population when the Cougars play football and everyone shows up.

Whatever else Wulff was doing right, he wasn't solving the Cougar dilemma fast enough to meet or even stay up with, the big plans.

I don't feel too sorry for Wulff. He made great money and he walks with an estimated $600,000 buyout. We should all be so lucky after a few years of apparently unsatisfactory work.

But what's going to be really interesting is whether all this new money will buy WSU a big time program and coach to go with that shiny, new stadium.

I hope it does. Go Cougs.

04ZagFan
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Hard to argue with the wins and losses.. Unprecedented, really. 4 years and they went from absolutely terrible, to pretty darn bad. Blame Doba all you want, Wulff was clearly not going to build a winner.

I feel somewhat bad for Doba, because I think people are throwing him under the bus far too much, simply because WSU fans love that Wulff played at WSU.. It was the perfect situation... Unfortunately, the guy lost nearly 90% of the games he coached in. WOW.

Rumors swirling about Leach and even Belotti.. Seems there is more weight to the Leach rumors. I don't know how, as a WSU fan, you could be disappointed in trading Wulff for Leach... If of course that happens. Leach is a winner. A big name. A PROVEN commodity. That would be a can't miss hire, IMO. I understand it's tough to get big names to go to WSU and coach, but Wulff wasn't a good hire... More of an emotional hire than a business decision. Always better to go after successful assistant coaches or guys like Leach, who have been successful in the past, but out of work. We'll see what happens, but I question the fan who is disappointed about the Wulff firing, and the potential hire of Leach... Would create some serious positive BUZZ.

Angelo Roncalli
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I feel somewhat bad for Doba, because I think people are throwing him under the bus far too much, simply because WSU fans love that Wulff played at WSU.. It was the perfect situation... Unfortunately, the guy lost nearly 90% of the games he coached in. WOW.

There is good reason to feel sorry for Doba, his personal situation was tragic. But he did leave a mess of gargantuan dimensions. He didn't recruit a lick and didn't have an eye on what his players were(n't) doing in the classroom. It was a perfect storm.

NEC26
11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I believe Wulf should have been able to complete his contract and no doubt he has left them in a far better state than when he came. WSU better hit a home run with there next hire.

Birddog
11-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Just a few thoughts.
Leach was forced out of lubbock, one of the real armpits of N America and now resides in Fla (Key West I think) while he sorts out his legal problems. Many think he is basically unhireable until they are resolved. Can you really picture Leach leaving Key West for Pullman?

Didn't Wulf play for and maybe win a D2 championship while at Eastern? I'd call that some success. Also, didn't he have some rather severe scholarship limits at Wazzu?

This is not a good time for Wazzu to go coach shopping. There are some good names out there, but look at the openings, does Pullman have a chance?

Arizona hired Rodriguez, Arizona St is open, UCLA is open, Ohio St hires Meyer, Penn St is in the market, Mississippi is looking, Missouri is shopping, Kansas and Illinois are looking, New Mexico really screwed the pooch and hired Bob Davie after 9 years as a color guy, a bad one at that. At least they got him off the air.

Hot names are Sumlin @ Houston, the afforementioned Leach, Larry Fedora @ S Miss. Moncken,the Ok St Off Coord has already been given permission to interview somewhere too. Too many good jobs open and not enough quality candidates IMO. Art Briles might want to get out of Waco, but I doubt it would be for Pullman. Another good assistant would be Malzahn at Auburn.

04ZagFan
11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Actually, the knock on Doba the recruiter aren't nearly as warranted as some think... Scout.com has alllll of that information if you guys want to check it out. I have, and was surprised at the amount of talent Doba recruited. He had a lot a solid players, just wasn't able to win much with them.

Wulff went 9-40... I believe one has to be VERY ignorant to blame those 4 years all on someone else. The fact is, that it's unprecedented. Unless Doba was the worst thing to happen to a school of all time, Wulff supporters need to swallow their WSU pride, and accept the fact that he didn't get the job done.

gu03alum
11-30-2011, 05:26 AM
I would take Leach in a heartbeat if I were a WSU fan. He got fired because Craig James and his kid were unhappy about playing time and made up a story. Leach is a good coach and would be the kind of coach that could really turn that program around.

Birddog
11-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Leach's last deal at TT was 12.7 mill for 5 years. Does Wazzu have that kind of $$ laying around? I think yer dreaming. Between the $$ and the location, I think the chances are slim, very slim.

mtzaga
11-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Just a few thoughts.
Leach was forced out of lubbock, one of the real armpits of N America and now resides in Fla (Key West I think) while he sorts out his legal problems. Many think he is basically unhireable until they are resolved. Can you really picture Leach leaving Key West for Pullman?

Didn't Wulf play for and maybe win a D2 championship while at Eastern? I'd call that some success. Also, didn't he have some rather severe scholarship limits at Wazzu?

This is not a good time for Wazzu to go coach shopping. There are some good names out there, but look at the openings, does Pullman have a chance?

Arizona hired Rodriguez, Arizona St is open, UCLA is open, Ohio St hires Meyer, Penn St is in the market, Mississippi is looking, Missouri is shopping, Kansas and Illinois are looking, New Mexico really screwed the pooch and hired Bob Davie after 9 years as a color guy, a bad one at that. At least they got him off the air.

Hot names are Sumlin @ Houston, the afforementioned Leach, Larry Fedora @ S Miss. Moncken,the Ok St Off Coord has already been given permission to interview somewhere too. Too many good jobs open and not enough quality candidates IMO. Art Briles might want to get out of Waco, but I doubt it would be for Pullman. Another good assistant would be Malzahn at Auburn.

Wulff coached EWU for 8 years. His overall record was 53-40; his Big Sky record was 32-24. His teams tied for the conference title twice. They made the FCS, formerly 1-AA, playoffs three times, but never made it past the quarterfinals. Wulff was hired because he was a former Coug player and less expensive than other candidates.

Alabama OC Jim McElwain could be a candidate for the job. He's from Misssoula and an EWU grad.

Zagpower
11-30-2011, 07:20 AM
I would take Leach in a heartbeat if I were a WSU fan. He got fired because Craig James and his kid were unhappy about playing time and made up a story. Leach is a good coach and would be the kind of coach that could really turn that program around.

Not me. Guy is a major A-hole. Not the representative you want for a University in a small town. Keep looking.

Birddog
11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the info mtzaga. I didn't follow his career to closely.

Zagpower, I wonder how they're likin' Tuberville down in lubbock these days?

Leach is a quirky guy, he became a bit of a jerk when TT changed AD's and they started to jerk him around. Despite his winning, he became a polarizing problem. There were Pro Leach and Anti Leach groups. He did win a lot of games though, and TT was in the news a bunch for their football teams efforts.

Zagpower
11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Zagpower, I wonder how they're likin' Tuberville down in lubbock these days?

Sorry BD. Son of a college professor. It's never only about the W-L for me. Lots of great coaches out there. I don't think WSU (and Pullman particularly) is a good fit for Super-ego coaches like Leach, Knight, Calhoun etc.

Birddog
11-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Super-ego coaches like Leach, Knight, Calhoun etc.

No way leach belongs in that group. He's a lotta things, but super-ego isn't one of them. Agree that he's not a fit though.

Zagpower
11-30-2011, 08:17 AM
No way leach belongs in that group. He's a lotta things, but super-ego isn't one of them. Agree that he's not a fit though.

It sounds like you follow Leach much more closely than I and I certainly trust your opinion. My exposure has been to his many media events that a ESPN covers. I agree it's not a balanced view of anyone so I stand corrected if he's not as I thought.

Birddog
11-30-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't follow Leach, esp on ESPN, but I do live in the midddle of Big12 country and he was the Off Coor for OU for 1 year before going to TT. He is very quirky, pretty funny and mostly candid in interviews. That didn't always sell in Lubbock though, nor did his style of football. They liked the wins, but didn't nec like the style. He's also very bright, has a law degree from.......

are you sitting down.......

BYU

I should mention too, that he likes to drink beer and the scribes all loved him for his off the record stuff while sipping brewskis.

Zagpower
11-30-2011, 08:47 AM
I should mention too, that he likes to drink beer and the scribes all loved him for his off the record stuff while sipping brewskis.

That for sure will not go down in Pullman where everyone knows what cars the coaches and players drive.....small town. Unless of course they are drinking at Leach's house and all have DD's.:)

PS. If I was a WSU coach, first thing I would do is make a heck of a donation to the local PD. Kidding.

gu03alum
11-30-2011, 09:05 AM
It sounds like you follow Leach much more closely than I and I certainly trust your opinion. My exposure has been to his many media events that a ESPN covers. I agree it's not a balanced view of anyone so I stand corrected if he's not as I thought.

Craig James and ESPN ran a smear campaign against Leach. They then fired the one person on their staff who stood up to them (Bruce Feldman).

NEC26
11-30-2011, 10:03 AM
If WSU gets Leach then it absolutely was the right move. He is a very very good coach and did not deserve what happened to him. I hope ESPN gets raked over the coals in court by him.

mtzaga
11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/30/2597071/mike-leach-hired-washington-state-football-coach

NEC26
11-30-2011, 12:37 PM
This could be the best hire WSU has ever gotten. Its absolutely perfect for them and kinda follows in the WSU tradition of high powered offenses.

04ZagFan
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
This could be the best hire WSU has ever gotten. Its absolutely perfect for them and kinda follows in the WSU tradition of high powered offenses.

I've been telling everybody the same thing. Best hire for WSU ever. I used to be a big WSU football fan in my youth, which really fizzled out when the GU-WSU basketball rivalry heated up. (Hard to root for the Cougs in any sport, when you have such a heated basketball rivalry) but this gets me a little fired up.. A big name, getting paid a big salary, with a great, great track record, to WSU!!!!?!? Wow, Somebody give Bill Moos a raise. GREAT hire for WSU.

gamagin
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
heard on t.v. he's going to sign a 5 year deal at $2.25M per. Wulff made $600k.

Excellent W-L and bowl appearances in 9 out of 10 years, I believe I heard.

It looks at first sniff like the Cougars made an excellent choice in Leach.

Time will tell.

Birddog
11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
WOW
as you can probably tell from my previous posts, I never would have figured he'd do this. The local talking heads, one of which has a pretty good relationship with Leach said in so many words, that he was getting desperate. When he didn't get the Maryland job last year, it became clear to him that his legal problems were the reason. It's not insignificant that he has sued ESPN and Craig James. Many schools are scared of that.

A couple of friends of mine have thought that 1st New Mexico, and then Arizona really missed the boat by not hiring him. He would have been perfect for both. There were rumors that UNM and Leach were talking, if that's the case I'm sure it came down to $$, and UNM doesn't have any.

You Wazzu fans are gonna love him. He'll have the Cougs in a bowl game in 2 years or less. They won't play a lick of "D", but there'll be plenty of offense to make up for it.

CDC84
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
A couple of friends of mine have thought that 1st New Mexico, and then Arizona really missed the boat by not hiring him. He would have been perfect for both. There were rumors that UNM and Leach were talking, if that's the case I'm sure it came down to $$, and UNM doesn't have any.

UNM had to buy out Mike Locksley's contract, and it wasn't cheap. He should've been fired last offseason, but they couldn't do it because the buy out was too expensive. They finally had to cave in and buy him out because of all the controversy surrounding the program. He was too much of a PR disaster. It was embarrassing the university. The fact that he couldn't coach or win a game to save his life was secondary. UNM is still dealing with a few big lawsuits from a former coach and secretary in the athletic dept. who were assaulted and harassed by Locksley. They can't afford to pay a coach big money to begin with, and they really can't do so now. The AD at that university, Paul Krebs, is one of the worst AD's in all of college athletics. The guy should be fired just for hiring Locksley.

Birddog
12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Cdc, could you tell us how you really feel? Couldn't agree more about locksley!

Birddog
12-02-2011, 03:32 AM
Thread hijack here, So CDC, what does your pop think of the UNM hire? Has Davie found a good hairstylist in Albq yet? I guess he'll be doing a lot of recruiting out on University South, right? Thanks again Lobos, for getting him off the air.

And now Sherman out at A&M! I wonder what those aggies are thinking heading into the SEC without a coach? It'll take take them 10 years to figure out what they've done. Same for Mizzou.

CDC84
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
He doesn't like the hire, but anyone is better than Locksley. He thinks Davie is a legend in his own mind, and that he'll bail in Erickson-like fashion if a lower tier BCS school comes calling. At least Davie won't punch assistant coaches and local bartenders and allow his players to take recruits to strip clubs on recruiting visits.

Davie has got some work to do as far as repairing ties to local high schools. Actually, a lot of the better in state football players these days come from down south as opposed to ABQ. They need to rely on Texas a lot as well. One of the many problems with Locksley was that he had zero ties to the region. He kept bringing in guys from New Jersey or whatever. That combined with being a jerk really set UNM back locally.

UNM is also cash strapped because the recent renovations to the Pit haven't paid off yet, and Krebs is having to pay Steve Alford and his assistants more and more money to keep him them in Lobo Land. UNM is always going to side with basketball if given the choice. And then there is the state's budget mess. I'll spare you the details.....

Kiddwell
12-02-2011, 11:41 PM
This fan will miss Paul Wulff. Thought he was a decent person who really loved WSU. Wish QB Tuel hadn't been hurt this year.

The Leach hire is eye-opening. As someone who really likes WSU football, this fan hopes Leach works miracles & behaves himself, the Cougs become major cats in D1 football, Leach stays w/the Cougs every bit as long as Mark Few stays with the Zags (yes, yes, different sport), Wulff bounces back to a nice job elsewhere and, last but not least, WSU beats up on uw in the Apple Cup annually for the next two centuries...or, alternately, the next 200 years...or, alternately, till Jesus comes back and downgrades uw's status in the world of academia to that of a well-regarded Juco with intramural flag football, 3-on-3 basketball, and coed figure-shaking/curling. :D

:]