PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Brown in play

810Suited
11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Send Donny Daniels right now! Would be a huge coup talent wise, attitude wise who knows?

MDABE80
11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
If he can't get along with Dana Altman he won't get along here.
Besides.... look at his performance before he jumped ship!

810Suited
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Dont care about it. The talent is there, I think he could fit in

HillBillyZag
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
As Tim Tebow says : "Hard Work beats talent when Talent does'nt work hard ".

Zagdawg
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I thought he wanted to head home---rumor has it San Diego State is a possibility.

CDC84
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Jabari is a Bay Area kid. Don't know if he has extended family in SD.

I always thought his choice of Oregon was odd.

04ZagFan
11-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Chances of us actually landing him? Close to zero..

But why wouldn't we want a stud like that? Rated higher than any recruit we've ever gotten. 6 foot 4 inch guard? Yes please.

23dpg
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Interesting post on the SSF about Brown.

I don't think he will want to come here and I don't think I want him either. But if he does come here I will give him a fair shot.

OregonZag5
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
MDABE80 is correct- have heard a lot about him- lack of work ethic etc. We do not want him.

maynard g krebs
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
MDABE80 is correct- have heard a lot about him- lack of work ethic etc. We do not want him.

Altman publicly stated after his departure that the door was open and he wanted him to come back. Said something like (paraphrasing) "he's going to be a very good player for someone and I hope it's us."

Micah Downs is a comparison to consider before making assumptions.

MDABE80
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
The problem is that he wasn't working hard at Oregon. His performance showed it. If he changes his ways, I'm sure he can be a high end player. Sometimes though, things just don't work out. I wonder if Cal's in the mix. He sews the seeds and a kid becomes unhappy...and of course Cal's there with open arms.
Frankly I was shocked when Dana signed him. Dana a meat and taters type of guy..not flashy at all. He's one of US. Solid, disciplined and he expect his kids to work their tails off. Maybe that's the problem. He doesn't like slackers who ride their HS laurels...<--conjecture on my part.

BobZag
11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd take him.

U Zig, I Zag
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
If he is willing to learn the system and be a team player than I would say welcome aboard.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
You don't win championships by passing on players like Jabari. Is he a a knucklehead? I doubt if anyone here is in a good position to answer that.

Baldwinzag
11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
I dunno...this kid has some serious growing up to do. Maybe he has?

I'm all about 2nd chances if someone is willing to learn, grow, and change.

He was thrown outta 3 games in HS for fighting/brawling...a serious risk, yet his raw talent could be worth it. He also quits if a team or player plays hard-nosed defense or shuts him down. He's been known to blame his poor performances on his teammates as well.

Andy Katz seems to suggest JB gives zero effort in practice or for Oregon:

By Andy Katz

Oregon plans on replacing Jabari Brown, who quit on the team after two games, with Minnesota transfer Devoe Joseph, who becomes eligible on Dec. 10. The swap sounds good, given Joseph's experience over the freshman Brown. But remember, Joseph quit on Minnesota last season, sending the Gophers into a tail spin once Al Nolen was injured and they didn’t have a backup point guard. The Oregon staff isn’t weeping for Brown and there are no plans to beg him to return. The staff is pleased with Joseph’s effort, something that was a concern with Brown. Still, there has to be some pause since they are replacing Brown with a player who quit on his previous team.

Here is a video clip of Jabari trying to fight another player who was playing sticky defense in a pick-up scrimmage, he couldn't handle being guarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6dUaTULys

Either way, this kid needs a discipline focused Coach with patience as Jabari's reputation precedes him. I believe he can change and open to maturing into a team player, which he clearly was not at Oregon. He forced everything & averaged 5.5 Turnovers per game for the Ducks.

Here is his game log after just two games and unexpectedly quitting the team w/o prior notice:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56698/jabari-brown

sittingon50
11-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Eric Brady, Jeff Brown, Carl Crider, Dan Dickau, Nathan Doudney, Micah Downs, Richard Fox, Quentin Hall, Erroll Knight, Mike Leasure, Jeremy Pargo, Lorenzo Rollins.

Somethin' raised question marks on all of these kids before they showed up at GU.

IMO that's a pretty impressive list of humanity.

cjm720
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Brown blew up last summer, but his ego has been big for awhile I'm sure. Yea a great 2, but not happening from both sides. Story over.

BobZag
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Joe Harris.

kreese555
11-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Mike Leasure left his original school because of a head coaching change, not any character issue.

sittingon50
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I understand that 555. I said "Somethin'" & "question marks", not character. The point being is that the Zags were not the 1st choice.

Mike was a great Zag, though robbed by injury. I understand that he's a policeman on the coast. Definitely a great addition to humanity.

WyoZag
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Here is a video clip of Jabari trying to fight another player who was playing sticky defense in a pick-up scrimmage, he couldn't handle being guarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6dUaTULys

Either way, this kid needs a discipline focused Coach with patience as Jabari's reputation precedes him. I believe he can change and open to maturing into a team player, which he clearly was not at Oregon. He forced everything & averaged 5.5 Turnovers per game for the Ducks.

I can't claim that I know a thing about this kid, but I see nothing wrong with him having something to say after taking a cheap shot like that from Demar Derozan in a pick up game. Go watch that clip again and tell me what Derozan did was "guarding" someone. Looked like headhunting to me.

From what I saw, that's basically the same type of toughness that Meech used to show on the court and this board loved it. Given that Derozan is a pro, I'm actually impressed that the kid had the stones to stand up for himself.

I'm doubt he's interested in GU, but I wouldn't mind a big guard like that with an edge to him.

MDABE80
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, we have had some "iffy" or "troubled " kids join us before and things worked out well. I suppose it might work...but I think the staff would have its work cut out for them. Tempermental , lazy types usually grow up with proper leadership.

NEC26
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
No thanks.

Ezag
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
nope

Baldwinzag
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
While we're on the subject of transfers and potential landing spots...

Did you know: San Diego St starts FOUR transfers.

Interesting.

UNLV starts a couple as well and have a couple more sitting out this season...

I'd say Brown ends up at UNLV or SDSU.