• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Setting the table

Props to the coaches for the way the schedule was set this year. It has fit this team beautifully. Playing solid -- but not overpowering -- teams mostly at home or friendly venues (Vancouver, Spokane Arena, Seattle), is giving the coaches and players time to figure out rotations on a deep team with lots of new players and no superstar. In particular, we are able to break in two new guards without having to limit their minutes or throw them into a sink-or-swim situation with a top 10 team or two on the road. The payoff for Coach Few's work in building the program to the level where GU can schedule numerous quality opponents at home couldn't have come at a better time. This team entered the season with lots of potential but no defined character and certainly no swagger; it needed time to build confidence and determine roles.

They have a great chance of going 5-0 this month and 5-3 (or better) in December. The way these games are spread-out and the gradual increase in degree of difficulty from game-to-game (culminating with Xavier on the road) seems to me to be as good as gets for bring this group along and setting the table for another WCC championship in what looks to be the toughest this conference has been in a decade.
  • bigblahla
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Agree on the schedule.

We have to continue to improve but the schedule sets up very well for the Zags.

Although we know our WCC brethren will show up for games against the Zags it looks like another conference wide let down in OOC play, other than against the seemingly dreadful Pac-12.

The WCC is ours to win or lose. I have watched the Gaels, Dons, Broncos and Cougars and we are a much deeper team than any of them. Of course that doesn't mean on any given night one of them can't beat us because they can and have but again the WCC is ours to win or lose.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Absolutely...Tip of the hat to Dr Krause et al

IMHO ...There are four season's....the scrimages...the non conference... the conference, including the tourney...and then whatever reward is available.... It would have made no sense to take the kids to Maui ....it appears the program is in a position to schedule not only for the team but for the local fans...with the addition of BYU it will be difficult (but not impossible) for anyone to whine about this schedule.....

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The Zags are undefeated by virtue of Big Rob's consistency, a stunning breakout performance by Kevin Pangos, and solid contributions at various times from others on the bench, including Stockton, who has become an undeserved lightning rod for the Chicken Little crowd on the main MBB.

They haven't hit their stride yet. The level of competition has been less than stellar yet the last time I checked, the scoreboard has shown Gonzaga to be the better team on each occasion.

Veterans like Harris, Dower, and Carter have been all over the map performance -wise. Mike Hart has been snakebit with his jump shots ( how many times have we seen them go halfway down ? ) yet he hustles, rebounds, plays defense, and makes the most of his minutes on the court.

Gary Bell appears to be a very special player, a diamond in the D-1 rough who has the size, skills, and defense to do great things as he matures this season and beyond. Keita & Monninghoff appear to be pine riders. . .Landry ? He is getting as much hype as Knight & Brown did when they first showed up on the GUB radar; I just hope he's learning Few's system and doesn't face a "quick hook" after he botches a missed assignment or two. . .

In spite of the perceived hits to the shine of some of the next six opponents ( Notre Dame's loss of Abromaitis, Butler's slow start, etc, ) these are quality programs with winning traditions. They "make the papers" on a regular basis and seeing our Zags face these guys is going to be thrilling.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bballbeachbum
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
          Props to the coaches for the way the schedule was set this year. It has fit this team beautifully. Playing solid -- but not overpowering -- teams mostly at home or friendly venues (Vancouver, Spokane Arena, Seattle), is giving the coaches and players time to figure out rotations on a deep team with lots of new players and no superstar. In particular, we are able to break in two new guards without having to limit their minutes or throw them into a sink-or-swim situation with a top 10 team or two on the road. The payoff for Coach Few's work in building the program to the level where GU can schedule numerous quality opponents at home couldn't have come at a better time. This team entered the season with lots of potential but no defined character and certainly no swagger; it needed time to build confidence and determine roles.

They have a great chance of going 5-0 this month and 5-3 (or better) in December. The way these games are spread-out and the gradual increase in degree of difficulty from game-to-game (culminating with Xavier on the road) seems to me to be as good as gets for bring this group along and setting the table for another WCC championship in what looks to be the toughest this conference has been in a decade.
          your points about the schedule make good sense to me about this team, although I'm sure alumni would love the Maui trip or something...me too but the good sense of it

hope it works!!!

Comment

Working...
          X