• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

"And I don't believe what I just saw!"

52.6% shooting.

But can the boys keep it going against the more legit teams that await from here on?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Gonna be tough to play Stocks and Pangos at the same time vs a Mich St & Illinois...actually, impossible. Coach Few is going to have to make a decision at PG vs certain teams...will be fine vs mid-major or WCC play.

I thought Stocks played a terrific 1st half. Knocked down WIDE open shots(hounded Pangos), made solid entry passes, and got his hands on some passes.

Pangos made the more aggressive, assertive plays down the stretch. Learned from his mistakes and played much better once he sat on the bench...Pangos was pushing through traps, making no-look passes to Dower/Sacre/Harris, and seemed to draw fouls at the right time.

I think we see more mins by Gary Bell vs BCS teams, which is needed, imho.

I firmly believe Gary Bell is a better on-ball defender than even Steven Gray was. He's been amazing and think he'll hold up vs the best of the best. He deserves more than 15 mins on the court. More GBJ!

Marquise is a good defender, yet he looks out of place on offense and running the transition. Makes the wrong play more than the right one on offense right now. Thank goodness for his passing defense and ability to get the foul called on occasion.

The rest(Sacre, Elias, Dower, Hart) are as advertised.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

And 43% from the 3 pt line. I felt it was a good game for the Zags. The only statistic I didn't like was the foul shooting, 57%. I think they need to improve at the line.

What really impressed me also was the turnover to assists. Only 9 turnovers and 18 assists, a 2-1 ratio. Zags also forced WM into 22 turnover which is very good.

I really thought it was the Zags' best game so far, and in particular Dower and Rob. Our front court was really solid, with Elias coming through for 10 points also. The bench played great today. Not only Sam but David too, and Bell continues to be solid imo. Gary and David, between them had 0 turnovers. Pretty darn good for guys coming off the bench. For the Zags to only commit 9 turnovers at this time of year is fantastic. The team is really getting the ball inside to Rob and Dower much better now, and the guards continue to attack the basketbet, especially Carter.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

One thing: Sam Dower. The most skilled and offensively efficient player in the program came ready to play today. When he's on, GU's shooting percentage goes up.

Comment

• Section 116
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Poor free throw shooting today, maybe it had to do with playing in the Arena?

Comment

• hooter73
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

show me Landry

Comment

• Goshzagit
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
              show me Landry
              Dec 18th vs 'Zona is the return.

We need his presence in a big way. Defense, rebounding, athleticism, shot making ability, etc.

Firmly believe this will help clear up some rather interesting rotational decisions this year...

The good news: 4 wins 0 losses.

Comment

• Pargo the Destroyer
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2008

Ironic, best game so far against the worst team...so far. Anything less than a 20 point win is concerning.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2008

Gonzaga got 25 points off 22 Western Michigan turnovers, which coach Steve Hawkins said was the reason for his team's defeat, per espn's recap. That'll help the FG% too

Expert recap and game analysis of the Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. Western Michigan Broncos NCAAM game from November 26, 2011 on ESPN.

Comment

• bostonzagfan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    One thing: Sam Dower. The most skilled and offensively efficient player in the program came ready to play today. When he's on, GU's shooting percentage goes up.
                    Harris is the most efficient player, not Dower.

Harris -10 pts on 7 shots. Dower- 14 pts on 13 shots (1 free throw).

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

That's one game. My observation is over the course of their careers. Elias Harris has a fraction of the offensive skill set that Sam Dower has. Sam led all rotation players last season in field goal percentage. And what's important is that most of his points come from jumpers and offensive moves in the low blocks. Most of Harris' scoring comes from offensive rebounds, fast break dunks, 3 point shots and the occasional drive into the lane where he doesn't travel or slam into somebody.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Harris has efficient offensive stats partly because he doesn't look for assists.

One assist in the last three games.
                        One thing I like about Marquise is how he is always looking for the assist, maybe too much sometimes.

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          That's one game. My observation is over the course of their careers. Elias Harris has a fraction of the offensive skill set that Sam Dower has. Sam led all rotation players last season in field goal percentage. And what's important is that most of his points come from jumpers and offensive moves in the low blocks. Most of Harris' scoring comes from offensive rebounds, fast break dunks, 3 point shots and the occasional drive into the lane where he doesn't travel or slam into somebody.
                          If BYU's Davies plays like he did against Wisconsin's front line, Sacre and Dower are going to eat him for breakfast.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• DrDrivel
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            If BYU's Davies plays like he did against Wisconsin's front line, Sacre and Dower are going to eat him for breakfast.
                            They should still try to eat before the game. Just in case.

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                              Harris has efficient offensive stats partly because he doesn't look for assists.

One assist in the last three games.
                              One thing I like about Marquise is how he is always looking for the assist, maybe too much sometimes.
                              Harris is passing a little better. Not much better, but a little better.

Harris doesn't look for assists? The last thing Few wants is Harris looking for assists.
                              Harris is, by design, the recipient of assists instead.

By the way, Keita made one heck of an assist to Dower in the very limited time he played. Outstanding pass with zip. Just the way I like em.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X