PDA

View Full Version : Whats up Zags fans? Vol here

Volsmiller
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Whats up guys? I am a Vol fan, and came over here after hearing about our teams meeting next year. I am excited about this matchup, should be a great series that I hope continues for years to come.

I think both of our teams do a great job of trying to play as many of the best teams as we can. I am really impressed with your guys OOC schedules, and this year appears no different.

I love the Vols, but I have like Gonzaga as well for as long as I can remember. I always pull for you guys in the tourney, and found myself staying up to watch games that tip at midnight eastern time, just to watch you guys play.

Adam Morrison(as many of you probably feel the same) is one of my favorite players to watch ever.

Good luck this season, and looking forward to a great matchup...Oh yea, beat Memphis!!!

Zagdawg
07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the board--

I am also looking forward to the game this year-- It should be an outstanding game --

Once again...Welcome--

lawzag
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
hey Volsmiller,
we've been posting back & forth with several other Vols fans on another thread (Clockwork Orange & Orangeninja). Its great to have you guys be so "southern gentlemanly" rather than talking smack.

Your team is awesome & we are really excited to have our boys playing you this year. We enjoyed watching you last year & it looks like this years team is even better. What a great match-up for both schools! I bet you guys are really excited to have Lofton back, what a talent.

The Seattle venue is pretty big, so I hope you are able to send a good contingent of your fans & we will have a great crowd.

Good luck in the SEC - hope you win it all!:D

Rubbadub
07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Good luck in the SEC - hope you win it all!:D

I really think they will :)

Volsmiller
07-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, I really think we have a good shot of doing well this year. I am very very glad Lofton is back. Its a good thing he is not 6'6 or we would have lost him a long time ago, lol.

We usually do a good job of sending big crowds to away games...however mainly in football, but the past two years have been better for bball. The trip to Seattle is a long one though, so im not sure how many will be able to make it. However this is a big time match up, so hopefully we will send a good crowd.

I have always been really impressed with you guys' program. Mark Few seems to be a great man as well as coach. He would be way up at the top of a list of coaches(other than Pearl) that I would want coaching my team.

RandomZagFan
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Cool man. Bruce Pearl is one of my new heroes, since after his legendary body paint incident at a Lady Vols game.:)

Volsmiller
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Haha yea, you should see him ripping off his shirt like Hulk Hogan in the lockeroom after beating Kentucky...I will see if I can find it.

Oh yea, I also think its really cool that Few decided to stay at Gonzaga and turn it into one of the best jobs in the country, rather than leaving for a different school.

sonuvazag
07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Bruce Pearl knows how to have fun at his job.

Volsmiller
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is the "Hulk" video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5A-wloLNys

Here is a really short interview with Pearl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tumJ1emwvJI

ZagNative
07-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Volsmiller, that video is GREAT!! Thanks for sharing it with us during these dog days of summer. It's going to be fun keeping an eye on you guys this year.

MickMick
07-05-2007, 05:18 PM
From a Tennessee board:

BruceAlmighty19 wrote: Hey Mick, welcome.

Would you care to tell us a little about next year's Zags? Just glancing at the ESPN site it looks like your top scorer left, will there be anyone to fill his shoes?

Mick063 wrote: I did a lazy job last time around Bruce...sorry.

This link is probably more like it:

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3642

Got anything similar I can share in Zagland?

BDVol wrote: Well, let me see if I can give you something off the top of my head. Out starting 5 will probably look like this:

G Ramar Smith (6'2" Soph)- As a freshman last season, he struggled early on, but was forced into starter's role when Jordan Howell injured his hand in late December. Howell returned a few games later, but Smith never relinquished his starting spot. He improved all season, and by mid-February, was probably the best PG in the SEC. Lightning quick, good vision, gets his teammates involved, and can get to the rack and finish on just about anybody. If he only had a decent outside shot, he probably would've been a lottery pick last week.

G Chris Lofton (6'2" Senior)- Easy preseason pick for SEC player of the year, and will probably be duking it out with UNC's T. Hansbrough for the Wooden Award. He's known as a shooter, but last season added a driving ability to his repertoire. Great hesitation move allows him to create his own shot from anywhere on the court. Before he went down for four games with a high ankle sprain, he was playing at a level I had never seen of anyone at UT. When he returned, he never really got back to that level, but showed flashes of his old self late in the season. Guard him as soon as he gets off the bus. He has reliable range out to halfcourt, and that's no exaggeration. Was our only reliable option at the FT stripe last season.

G Jajuan Smith (6'2" Senior)- Former walkon blossomed into our second leading scorer last year, and our best perimeter defender. Very streaky shooter, but can rival Lofton from 3 point land when he's on. Good dribble-drive ability. But he can also be a bit of a loose cannon, and make the bonehead play at inopportune times. But when he plays within the system, he's a very dangerous player.

F Tyler Smith (6'7" Soph)- Transfer from Iowa, Freshman All Big 10 last season. I'll defer to those who have seen him play, but early reports indicate he'll be the most athletic player on our team.

F Wayne Chism (6'8" Soph)- Another of last year's freshman class who improved dramatically as the season wore on. Great hustle player, led all SEC freshmen in rebounding. Good inside scorer who will also step out and shoot the 3. Needs to get a little stronger to bang inside on defense. He and fellow freshman post Duke Crews got very little leeway from the refs last year- hopefully they'll be allowed to do more this season.

And our bench:

F Duke Crews (6'8" Soph)- opened last season as a starter, but seemed to wear down as the season wore on, and lost his starting spot to Chism in mid-season. Very athletic but raw, capable of highlight-reel dunks. Will score most of his points on dunks and putbacks. Offensive liability from outside 5 feet. Needs to get stronger and develop his touch. Can develop into a Rodman-type defender and rebounder, but will probably never be the scorer we thought he'd be coming out of HS.

F JP Prince (6'8" Soph)- another transfer, from Arizona. Played PG in high school, but has had a bit of a growth spurt since then and will probably play multiple positions for us. Again, I haven't seen him play, so I'll defer to those who have.

F Ryan Childress (6'9" Junior)- Not naturally gifted, but has developed into a very solid player for us. Will bang inside, make hustle plays, and hit the occasional 3. The former player I compare him to is Kentucky's Scott Padgett.

C Brian Williams (6'10" Freshman)- a project player, there's a lot of debate as to how much he'll play this season. Played at a whopping 350 lbs in HS, but has reportedly gotten down into the 265 range. It would seem unlikely for him to get many minutes in this rotation, although coaches insist he'll play 10+ mpg this year. Could be a big surprise- we'll see.

G Jordan Howell (6'3" Senior)- Solid, if unspectacular backup PG. Won't dazzle you with his athleticism, but won't do anything to lose the game, either. Probably our 2nd most reliable 3 point shooter.

G Josh Tabb (6'2" Soph)- In limited playing time as a freshman, he still showed great quickness and a good defensive presense. Not known as a scorer, but he picks his spots- made a LOT of clutch shots for us last season. Decent shooter, good on the drive, and probably the 2nd best perimeter defender on the team.

G Cameron Tatum (6'5 Freshman)- incoming player who will probably play multiple positions for us. Reportedly has good athletic ability and a good outside shot.

All of these guys (save perhaps for the two freshmen) will play extensively. I doubt any player will get more than 28 or so mpg. This will be the first year Bruce Pearl has had the depth to run like he wants to run, so we're all pretty curious to see how it comes together. If last year's team averaged 81 ppg, this team should average 90+. Defensively, look for a lot of trapping, and a lot of pressure on inbounds plays. Last year, we were susceptible to teams that slowed it down to a halfcourt game- but we have a lot more scoring options this year, so I think we'll be able to dictate tempo a little more. Our other big flaw was FT shooting- we literally gave away 5 games at the stripe last year, including the loss to OSU in the Sweet 16. Only offseason repitition can improve us there, so we'll have to wait and see if the players have worked at it this summer. I sure hope so.

MickMick
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
I love reading this:

If last year's team averaged 81 ppg, this team should average 90+. Defensively, look for a lot of trapping, and a lot of pressure on inbounds plays. Last year, we were susceptible to teams that slowed it down to a halfcourt game- but we have a lot more scoring options this year, so I think we'll be able to dictate tempo a little more

The Vols love the same "track meet" style game that the Zags do. Should make for awesome entertainment and a high scoring affair. A made for television matchup.

Volsmiller
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
That analysis of our team is pretty accurate. I really think(from what I have heard about the summer league, and what I saw last year at Iowa) that Tyler Smith is the real deal and could be a first team all SEC type player.

I also think that Chism, and Ramar Smith have a very good shot(along with Lofton and Tyler Smith of course) of playing in the NBA. My way too early predictions are that Lofton and T. Smith could be 1st team all conference, with Ramar Smith and Wayne Chism 2nd team...However, that will probably be difficult since the scoring should be spread out with all the scorers that we have. That is not even mentioning Jujuan Smith, who was our 2nd leading scorer last year. When he is hot, he is tough to stop.

I really think this will be a great matchup with the 2 fast paced styles. Should be fun to watch, and should get both schools a lot of headlines and publicity.

MickMick
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Bruce Pearl interview (http://www.utsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=16&url_article_id=10055&change_well_id=2)

RenoZag
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Note that Tenn. has their Summer Prospectus posted. . .