PDA

View Full Version : ZaGranny's Adventures in Vancouver

ID ZAGFAN
11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
We're on our way!

First excitement happened last night when we could not find the rabies certificates for 2 of the three dogs, which we need to take them into Canada. So I woke up before 5:00 AM (my usual wake-up time is 8:00.) thinking of some more places to look, to no avail. So in addition to Mr. ID having a eye appointment at 11:00 we had to stop at the vet'd office for copies of the certificates.

We left Sandpoint about 12:00 noon. Some time after we passed Moses Lake it started to snow. It wasn't too bad, and we reached the RV park in Ellensburg around 5:00 PM.

The guy who registered us was born in Spokane, but moved to Seattle as a kid, so he is mostly a Dub fan, but also follows the Zags pretty well.

So we had a spirited conversation about the merits of the two teams, coaches, and schools. I think I won that debate--he wasn't aware of Romar's infamous offer to play a three game series with GU at a neutral site--Key Arena. He said, "Wait---that's not a neutral site!" I said "Ya think?" He said well, UW had gone further in the tournament in the last two years, and I said, "Yeah, but how many conference championships have they won while Mark Few was winning his 13?" Anyway it was all in good fun,and he wished the Zags good luck in Vancouver.

The snow was mostly rain by the time we got here but 2 feet of snow was predicted for Snoqualmie Pass for tonight and tomorrow.

Having TV dinners at the campground so we can get up early and head for the pass.

ZaGranny

hondo
11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the report. Have fun in the beautiful city of Vancouver.

ZagMan in Philly
11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Have a safe trip, and enjoy the game. Looking forward to your post game report from Vancouver.

willandi
11-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Arf arf...woof!! My puppy wants yours to mark up there, for her. She's never been out of the country, only to Montana!

sittingon50
11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Actually, that counts willandi.

ID ZAGFAN
11-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Actually, our dogs have been to Canada so many times, they don't realize it is a different country. We have been to every province and territory, and the dogs have been to every province and territory except Nunavut. Zorro, the pom, has actually charmed customs agents across Canada--both US and Canadian.

ZaGranny

BobZag
11-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Enjoy the best city in the Great Northwest.

willandi
11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Enjoy the best city in the Great Northwest.

It's not Airway Heights? You know, the West Side?

cggonzaga
11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Actually, that counts willandi.

:lmao:

ID ZAGFAN
11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Vancouvertrip1.jpg

Here is what it looked like in Ellensburg when we left this morning. The drive over Snoqualmie Pass in the daylight was a non-event--thank goodness!

We made it to the RV park in Burnaby about 4. Traffic was hideous, so we are just going to settle in for the night and order some Chinese food delivered.

Weather here is rainy, but not as cold as it has been.

ZaGranny

MacZag
11-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I want to follow the team like you when I retire (a few years from now). Have a wonderful time! :)

ID ZAGFAN
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I want to follow the team like you when I retire (a few years from now). Have a wonderful time! :)

I'm a role model for retiree Zag fans! :D

ZaGranny

Lurknomore
11-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I want to do it too!

hondo
11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
She's the little ol lady from north Idahoooo
Go granny go granny go granny go

ID ZAGFAN
11-18-2011, 07:09 PM
We took the Sky train into downtown Vancouver and visited several great Inuit and First Nation galleries in the historic Gastown section of Vancouver. I saw some Kwakiutl dolls I would like, but a bit pricey. We walked to and from the Sky train station and around Gastown and it was really cold. I felt colder than I felt in Sandpoint Friday, due to its being such a damp cold.

We talked to several people about the game, but nobody had heard of it. Some had heard of Gonzaga though. They thought it a bit odd the game was being played here, until I told them about Rob Sacre.

It was a fun day.

Tomorrow we are going to meet a Haida artist friend at the UBC Museum of Anthropology--per Rob's advice (the going to the MOA part, not the meeting the friend part. We saw a couple of her pieces in one of the galleries.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
11-19-2011, 11:15 PM
We had more adventures than I would have liked. We got a late start to the museum, due to the showers being closed for cleaning. We drove the motor home because we did not want to leave the dogs alone for 10 hours. We met are Haida Artist friend and a friend of hers at the museum. I took some pics but will upload them tomorrow, since the camera's battery needs to be charged. The museum is fantastic--we need about three times as much time to see everything that I am interested in. One of the guards noticed Mr. ID's GU cap and jacketand started a conversation about the Zags. He was familiar with Rob, Kevin, and Kelly, Elias, and David. It was a fun conversation.

We left the museum at 4, thinking we had plenty of time to get back to the RV park and take mass transit in to the arena. We had been advised not to take our motor home into that area at night.

We would have had plenty of time, but we missed our exit and unded up going 20 miles out of our way. We got back to the RV park at 5:30, had to walk the dogs, so we got to the SKy Train at 6:00.

We were disappointed to miss the tip off and Rob's intro, which the guys behind us assured us was greeted enthusiastically. We missed about half of the first half. The guards were encouraging people to take seats in the lower section, even though their seats were in the upper bowl. So we had decent seats. They said there were 9000+ in attendance

The guys behind us were really familiar with the Zags--David, Pangos, Kelly and Sacre, of course. Sacre, Pangos, Bell, Elias, Carter, and Dower looked good in the part of the game that we were able to see.

The crowd was kind of quiet, but definitely pro-Zag. The cheerleaders, Spike and the dance team were all there. During half time I walked around and sat behind a three kids who had Hansford jerseys on. They were really excited and very familiar with Rob and the Zags.

After the game, they told us we could get autographs. I didn't need those, but wanted to say hi to the guys. I talked to Kelly, Kevin, and Sam. I saw Rob, but did not get a chance to talk to them. Mr. ID took a picture which I will post tomorrow. As we left I saw Tommy Lyons talking to a woman, and he said hi. The lady was Kevin's mom, and we had a nice conversation.

We left the game and went down to the Waterfront to have diner. (The guys behind us had advised that the arena food wasn't very good and the lines were horrendous. So we had a nice meal at the Lion's Pub.

We took the Sky Train back to the station near the RV park and walked the half mile back.

We are now unwinding and relaxing in the motor home.

It was a great day, aside from a few glitches!

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Museum of Antrhopology UBC

My main interest is dolls and I found plenty of them to look at. Here are a few:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Vancouver2.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Vancouver4.jpg

Haida Artists Carol Young and me in front of old totem:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Vancouver5.jpg

After the game. Mr. ID took this photo just as I finished talking to Kelly. Ypou can see the back of my head (and the famous red hoodie) , Kelly and rob to the left.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/lormwise/Vancouver6.jpg

A great time was had.

ZaGranny

hondo
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Go granny go granny go granny go!!

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ganny. I always enjoy these trip reports.

ID ZAGFAN
11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
We decided to do the trip from Burnaby to home all in one day if the roads were good. We did have a yikes moment as we were coming into Rathdrum. A pick-up was turning onto the road from a hilly side road or drive. As we got there, a 12 foot or so long object fell off the roof of the pick-up and skidded across the road into our lane. Mr. ID had to slam on the brakes so hard that the five-gallon water jug slid from the back of the motor home clear up to the front between the two seats. :eek: The object turned out to be a length of plastic pipe--the guy had several falling off the roof, but only one skidded across the road.

The roads were a non-issue, until we got north of Sandpoint. They had not plowed them very well. Another yikes moment came when a very young deer ran across the road, limping, slightly. He ran right in front of us, but fortunately made it to the other lane and down the side safely. :)

After that we were really glad to get home. Our neighbor had plowed our drive, but we had to walk to 12 inch drifts to get to the porch.

Ready to relax.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
11-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I should have mentioned how friendly everybody was when we were in Vancouver. People went out of their way to help us, even taking us where we had to go to get the right train, etc.

We mus have had this look--- :confused:

ZaGranny