PDA

View Full Version : Controversy: New Wazzu beat writer

Zag 77
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
The S-R's Wazzu football beat writer, Vince Grippi, is retiring and his replacement will be a new hire, Christian Caple. Grippi recommended him. The controvery arises because as an 18 year old sportswriter at the UW Daily, he wrote a scathing piece about Pullman and WSU:

Pullman sucks.

#With all the cows and inbred, knowledge-deprived wheat farmers, one would not be incorrect in classifying it as a grade-A craphole. Quite possibly the worst city in America.

#But it wouldn't be the worst city in America if it wasn't home to the worst college in America — Washington State University.

#You've all heard the jokes. What do a UW student and a WSU student have in common? They both applied to UW. And so on.

http://dailyuw.com/news/2006/nov/17/counterpoint-does-pullman-bring-down-washington/

Now, depending on your point of view, this is either Pulitzer Prize material or grounds for a lynching. It will be interesting to see if Wazzu partisans will cut him some slack. It is interesting how karma works out.

a13coach
11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds like he is perfect fit for some certain newspapers but also certain media outlets as well. Hey let's not write objectively, let's write what my non-thinking for themselves audience want to hear/read.

Zag 77
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
For what it is worth, he was 18 when he wrote that and has gone on to work as a professional sportswriter since then, and has covered some Wazzu sports for another paper.

webspinnre
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
For what it is worth, he was 18 when he wrote that and has gone on to work as a professional sportswriter since then, and has covered some Wazzu sports for another paper.

And presumably has grown up and gained a significant amount of maturity. I'm sure we've all said stupid stuff at that age that we regret.

RenoZag
11-16-2011, 02:45 PM
At the time, he was writing for a UW target audience. . .etc.

It probably won't get him any favors from the WSU Sports Information Dept.

Skeletons in the closet are easier to find thanks to the WWW, etc.

When Seth Davis was a Dookie undergrad, do you think he had some impolite things to write / say about UNC ?

sittingon50
11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Vince isn't really retiring. Being shown the door, like a # of other sportswriter's at the Review.

It's a bad deal.

Zag 77
11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
It might not be that bad. I think it is like John Blanchette's situation. At first I was shocked that he was being fired, but these guys are cashing in on their retirement and then will continue on a contract basis. At least I hope so.