PDA

View Full Version : When will we see Landry?

3zagda
11-15-2011, 07:42 PM
I have not followed this close enough.
Sounds like many feel Landry will replace Hart in the starting lineup when he can play. When will Landry be able to play?

MickMick
11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Because Guy is not a freshman, I use the word "newcomers" when describing the strength that comes from the infusion of new blood.

And yes, I think Guy will be a great player for us. The suspension is seriously harming the team right now. Guy needs to be on the court. He is a critical piece in my opinion. His experience would be helpful to stall future furious comebacks. I think he adds help in a crucial area....perimeter defense.

At least the conference opponents won't have much of a scouting report on him.

Fancygolfpants
11-15-2011, 07:48 PM
I have not followed this close enough.
Sounds like many feel Landry will replace Hart in the starting lineup when he can play. When will Landry be able to play?

Why is he suspended?

What's the dirt on Landry?

ID ZAGFAN
11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
If the decision stands, he will be able to play in the RMHC game December 17. That is our 9th game and he has to sit for 8, unless the apeal changes things.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Why is he suspended?

What's the dirt on Landry?He played three or four games for a pro team in France when he was 15 or 16. Suspension is dumb NCAA amateurism ruling.

RockandRollJames
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Not soon enough....

3zagda
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
So what I am getting from this thread is that Landry played some pro type games in France and has to sit out a few games now. When do we find out when he can play?
thanks,
3zagda

Baldwinzag
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
So what I am getting from this thread is that Landry played some pro type games in France and has to sit out a few games now. When do we find out when he can play?
thanks,
3zagda

8 game suspension.

Landry is eligible to return on Dec 17th vs Arizona.

I'd like to have him available vs Illinois & Mich St, whom both feature strong, athletic wing players, yet we'll just have to be patient...

He's been able to practice w/ the team and expected to add versatility, athleticism, defense, rebounding at the Wing.

CDC84
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
What's particularly infuriating about Guy's suspension is that his playing alongside pro players wouldn't matter if it had happened after August 1, 2010. The NCAA adopted a resolution on that date that allows foreign kids to play alongside pros so long as they do not accept unnecessary compensation (which Guy never did). However, any kid who did play alongside pros prior to that date is subject to the old rules. So in effect, the NCAA is punishing Guy for a rule that no longer exists. It's complete bull, but would you expect anything else from the NCAA?

EuroZag2010
11-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Here is a older video of Edi talking about a game and recruiting. Apparently he went off from 3 but it was a little to late for his team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4R2H3N0yQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NotoriousZ
11-17-2011, 04:57 AM
What's particularly infuriating about Guy's suspension is that his playing alongside pro players wouldn't matter if it had happened after August 1, 2010. The NCAA adopted a resolution on that date that allows foreign kids to play alongside pros so long as they do not accept unnecessary compensation (which Guy never did). However, any kid who did play alongside pros prior to that date is subject to the old rules. So in effect, the NCAA is punishing Guy for a rule that no longer exists. It's complete bull, but would you expect anything else from the NCAA?

Is that ex-UW guy that the NCAA hired a year or two ago anywhere near this ruling? I'm sorry I can't remember his name or his new job title. Just a theory.

Baldwinzag
11-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Here is a older video of Edi talking about a game and recruiting. Apparently he went off from 3 but it was a little to late for his team.

The somewhat surprising or overlooked aspect of Guy's game is his ability to hit the 3. When he takes the court with the Zags, he'll be a dynamic presence at the SF position -- blue-chip athleticism, on-the-ball defense, tough rebounder, and an underrated shooter (he was a solid 3pt shooter at Midland & for Ivory Coast Nat'l team).

Unfortunately, Guy was ineligible via H.S., hence his Juco route or he would have ended up at a typical BCS school.

During his days at Midland(missed 1/2 the season in his 2nd year), he had numerous schools recruiting him, yet Minnesota, Wichita St, Nebraska, & Gonzaga were the primary schools to offer Guy.

However, Michigan St, Missouri, & USC were all recruiting him HARD at one point or another and we now know why they slowly backed away -- NCAA suspensions.

Happy we took the risk b/c I believe its going to benefit us in a big way...this season & next.

Guy Landry is a very good player and has only improved since he stepped on campus -- Coaches and Players are extremely high on his potential here.

willandi
11-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I think that if I was on the staff at Gonzaga, I would be calling the NCAA every day to inquire about the status of the appeal. If I was informed that it had been turned down, I would re-submit it and be on the phone every day. I would have somebody digging into all the past suspensions for similar circumstances, appeals and results, and if it looked like Emmert was being a hard a$$ towards the Zags, I would broaden the scope of the appeal. I would not sit back and wait.
I assume that the Zags are being somewhat pro-active in this, but I would be relentless. I would insist on an immediate answer, and if it didn't conform to similar rulings made in the past, I would challenge the ruling, agressively and non-stop! I would point out Emmert's past adversarial relationship with the Zags and ask the he recuse himself from the determination, and anybody else that he has influenced, or may have influenced, or had the power to influence.
I would be that dog with a bone, and the bone was attached to a rib steak. Nobody gets it away without knowing they've been in a fight.

webspinnre
11-17-2011, 08:10 AM
I think this idea that Emmert is being hard on the Zags seems kind of conspiratorial. I think its far more likely that the NCAA is just being its normal bureaucratic self.

U Zig, I Zag
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I expect to see some Landry hanging from the rafters at K2 this season.

*cuz he can jump and Landry/laundry. Get it? :(

75Zag
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I think this idea that Emmert is being hard on the Zags seems kind of conspiratorial. I think its far more likely that the NCAA is just being its normal bureaucratic self.

Some times a cigar is just a cigar, but rarely on this forum.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

zagitup
11-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Is that ex-UW guy that the NCAA hired a year or two ago anywhere near this ruling? I'm sorry I can't remember his name or his new job title. Just a theory.

A few months back Bob Zag hinted in a thread that Mark Emmert (former UW president, now NCAA president) could use the huge hammer he now wields to rain blows on the Zag BB program:

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=32100&highlight=Emmert

I'm not much of a "conspiracy" guy, but this dude has power beyond belief now. It's not beyond the scope of imagination that Emmert is enjoying this flexing of his muscles at Few, especially given the history of animosity there. Last I heard, the NCAA hasn't even scheduled a date to review Gonzaga's appeal in the Landry suspension. Very curious....

FuManShoes
11-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I think that if I was on the staff at Gonzaga, I would be calling the NCAA every day to inquire about the status of the appeal. If I was informed that it had been turned down, I would re-submit it and be on the phone every day. I would have somebody digging into all the past suspensions for similar circumstances, appeals and results, and if it looked like Emmert was being a hard a$$ towards the Zags, I would broaden the scope of the appeal. I would not sit back and wait.
I assume that the Zags are being somewhat pro-active in this, but I would be relentless. I would insist on an immediate answer, and if it didn't conform to similar rulings made in the past, I would challenge the ruling, agressively and non-stop! I would point out Emmert's past adversarial relationship with the Zags and ask the he recuse himself from the determination, and anybody else that he has influenced, or may have influenced, or had the power to influence.
I would be that dog with a bone, and the bone was attached to a rib steak. Nobody gets it away without knowing they've been in a fight.

And I would ask that you and the NCAA spend half that much energy on things that matter more than whether a transfer gets to play in game 1 or game 8.

willandi
11-17-2011, 09:37 AM
And I would ask that you and the NCAA spend half that much energy on things that matter more than whether a transfer gets to play in game 1 or game 8.

I assure you that, as a small business owner, I spend well more than half that energy on minor things. The number of phone calls that have to be made to clear up someone elses mess is staggering, and that is primarily what I am talking about. To start, a phone call, or two, each day, to get the ball rolling. Doesn't have to be Few or the staff, it could be the compliance officer...it seems kind of like his job.
The other side though is, are you willing to have the Zags lose a game at some point because Landry isn't available, or lacks game experience? When the cost is having someone make the calls, I'm not!

Section 116
11-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Just a minor correction on IDZAGFAN, game #9 is the Battle in Seattle vs. Arizona, not the RMHC vs. Western Michigan on Nov. 26 which is game #4.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Ryan Boatright (UConn) gets six games for "improper benefits." Guy's "violation" is no more culpable, but he gets get eight games... ? Where's the equity in that?

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs/dog-house/uconn-boatright-suspension-huskies-ncaa-134160138.html

bigblahla
11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
For those interested in the process.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/about+the+ncaa/how+we+work/student+athlete+reinstatement

Doesn't sound complicated but then you have the people factor of someone wanting to take responsibility.

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
For those interested in the process.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/about+the+ncaa/how+we+work/student+athlete+reinstatement

Doesn't sound complicated but then you have the people factor of someone wanting to take responsibility.

Go!! Zags!!!

"What is student-athlete reinstatement?
It is the process schools must use to restore the lost eligibility of student-athletes involved in NCAA rules violations. On average, the NCAA receives more than 1,000 reinstatement requests annually, and nearly 99 percent of these requests result in the student-athlete being reinstated."

Hey, we (NCAA) screw up 99% of the time so simply follow these instructions and we'll get you reinstated after it really matters!

bigblahla
11-21-2011, 11:22 AM
The decision makers?

Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement

Kenneth White, Utah State (chair)

Cynthia Rail, Denver

David K. Wells, Mississippi

Tony Hernandez, Miami (Florida)

Megan P. McHugo, The Ivy League

If I read correctly this group has the power to lesson the number of games Landry has to sit out if they desire to do so.

Go!! Zags!!!

Baldwinzag
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
5 games...and counting.

Angelo Roncalli
11-21-2011, 11:34 AM
The decision makers?

Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement

Kenneth White, Utah State (chair)

Cynthia Rail, Denver

David K. Wells, Mississippi

Tony Hernandez, Miami (Florida)

Megan P. McHugo, The Ivy League

If I read correctly this group has the power to lesson the number of games Landry has to sit out if they desire to do so.

Go!! Zags!!!

Gonzaga has appealed and done everything possible to seek a reduction in the suspension and a quick resolution of the appeal.

Sending e-mails to those on the committee, if anyone harbors such an idea, will not help the situation. It may do the opposite.

Colbyspapa
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Guy is a great athlete and will bring some strength to our team, but I think it is more likely Gary Bell Jr. ends up taking Mike Hart's starting spot. From game one to game three, there was no bigger improvement on our squad than GBjr.

Baldwinzag
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Guy is a great athlete and will bring some strength to our team, but I think it is more likely Gary Bell Jr. ends up taking Mike Hart's starting spot. From game one to game three, there was no bigger improvement on our squad than GBjr.

Depends on the match-up of course, yet GBJ certainly has the defensive skill/on-the-ball tenacity to guard players taller(bigger) than him. He proved as much vs WSU and especially Hawaii -- guarding 6'6" Johnson.

Although, I prefer him in the 2 spot i.e. slashing to the top of the perimeter for an open 3 or taking it to the hoop off the swing, and stopping opposing guards at the point of attack, etc.

oh btw, Marquise suffered a mild left knee sprain vs Hawaii. It didn't effect him during the game, yet became a bit sore on the way home. Icing, stretching, and some wrap compression will do wonders this week, but don't be surprised to see his knee wrapped in our next game; however, he should be good to go by Saturday vs WMU.

bigblahla
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Gonzaga has appealed and done everything possible to seek a reduction in the suspension and a quick resolution of the appeal.

Sending e-mails to those on the committee, if anyone harbors such an idea, will not help the situation. It may do the opposite.

Angelo,

I personally have no intention of doing so and was just making the information available as it doesn't seem that Mr. Emmert has anything to do with this as hinted to in previous posts in this thread.

As far as doing the opposite the committee for reinstatement cannot increase any penalty already imposed. So if you are intimating that is the case it is not.

I agree this is a place where we as fans should not tread but it's extremely doubtful that any well written plea from any fan for what would seem a fair decision to this situation would be taken seriously or have the ability to influence the committee in one way or another as the folks who sit on it have to understand that fans are just that and nothing more.

Go!! Zags!!!

Section 116
11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not surprised Marquise suffered a sprained knee. I'm grateful that was the extent of the injury. That awkward landing he took looked like it could have been much worse.

Salsageek
11-21-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah I remember him falling and GBJ landed kinda hard right behind him. Had me worried when both were slow to get up.

I'm not surprised Marquise suffered a sprained knee. I'm grateful that was the extent of the injury. That awkward landing he took looked like it could have been much worse.

willandi
11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
If Landrys serves all eight games of his suspension, but after the last game, his suspension is reduced to 4 games, how many games was he actually suspended for?
That is why, earlier, I felt that somebody on the University staff should be calling the individuals on a near daily basis. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, and if later the people on the committee let out that they delayed response because of those calls, that would establish grounds for some sort of action against the committee, at the very least, being removed, with cause.

75Zag
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
If Landrys serves all eight games of his suspension, but after the last game, his suspension is reduced to 4 games, how many games was he actually suspended for?
That is why, earlier, I felt that somebody on the University staff should be calling the individuals on a near daily basis. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, and if later the people on the committee let out that they delayed response because of those calls, that would establish grounds for some sort of action against the committee, at the very least, being removed, with cause.

I recommend chaining yourself to the front door of the NCAA headquarters until your demands are addressed. Before you do so, you may want to check out the articles on the effect of being pepper sprayed. I understand covering your face with vasolene is somewhat helpful. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Zag 77
11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Calling every day and asking them to hurry up reminds me of the following analogy. Lawyers who have cases up on appeal often get frustrated at the length of time it takes to get a decision by an appellate court. However, as soon as you call the Supreme Court to ask when your decision is due, you get the decision go against you in fairly short order. A counterpoint to the "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" adage is: "Nobody likes to get nagged."

willandi
11-21-2011, 03:44 PM
You guys are right! Sorry. Now about the question part. If he sits out all eight games, then the suspension is reduced to four games, how many games was he suspended.
Don't know about pepper spray, I did get tear gassed in Chicago in '68 for the Dem Nat Convention. Wasn't personal though, they were tear gassing indiscriminately. They didn't know I was in the Navy, and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, probably doing the wrong thing.
Nobody likes to be nagged! Absolutely. But nobody likes to get excessive punishment because of a molasses like bureaucratic organization that may or may not have orders from the top to delay as long as possible.
Surely there is somebody there (NCAA) that knows something about what is going on, and somebody at Gonzaga knows that somebody. Actually, I think I answered my own question. Nobody at the NCAA knows what is going on.
Sorry to have wasted all the time of you smart folks.