PDA

View Full Version : Klinsmann Era thus far

BobZag
11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Not very impressed. USA can't score vs good competition but plays decent defense, then scores against lesser competition but plays poor defense. It is early in Klinsmann's reign but thus far I think USA looked a bit better under Bob Bradley.

USA beats Slovenia 3-2 today to end the 2011 campaign.

Zag 77
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Keep in mind that many of the front line US players like Dempsey and Donovan have been busy with MLS and European leagues. Klinsmann is trying out a lot of new guys, especially Germans who have dual nationality. In soccer, this time period is occupied by friendly matches that are about as important as an NFL preseason game. Everybody wants to win, but this is the time to sort out who is going to be in the 2014 pool for the World Cup team.

Update: Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore were in the lineup for this game, which is a big reason they scored 3 goals (after 230 some scoreless minutes going in).

Second update: whoops, I meant Michael Bradley, not Donovan.

asoc
11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Not Donovan. He stayed in LA in prep for MLS Cup.

BobZag
11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm just going by the ol' Eye Test. I know friendlies don't matter and are merely auditions. The best thing is that USA is only losing 1-0, not being throttled.