• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Blanchette, Meehan, and other press on the WSU game

It's sure late, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a while after that thriller.

Anyway, some early press reports are out, including:

Photo of #4, Kevin Pangos, from the game (see album link below):

John Blanchette's column:
    Still, even the Bulldogs were so agog at the display of marksmanship and moxie staged by Pangos, their prized Canadian import, that they pretty much shut it down about five minutes early and had to sweat out an 89-81 victory over Washington State at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

It had no business being that close, really. But then, it probably had no business being a 21-point laugher with 12 minutes to play, either.

Yet this is what happens when starts stroking like, well, like no freshman ever really has around here.

Thirty-three points. No Zag in memory fresh out of high school – not a Morrison, not a McPhee, not a Stepp – has so exploded onto the scene this way. Matt Santangelo had a 28-point night as a freshman, but it was late in the season – not a national TV almost-debut.

Nine 3-pointers. That’s a school record, tying a couple of similar efforts by Dan Dickau, so now you’re moving into Gonzaga legend territory.
    “For you guys it might be surprising,” said Gonzaga forward Elias Harris, who along with center Robert Sacre came through with double-doubles that helped hold off the Cougars down the stretch, “but I see it every day.

“Kevin, Gary, Moenninghoff – our perimeter in general, they can really shoot, and it’s so helpful. It makes Rob’s life, Sam Dower’s life, (Ryan) Spangler’s life and my life so much easier. It’s incredible to have those cats on the team.

“Last year, that was lacking in our team, at least consistently. It’s not lacking anymore.”

And yet it wasn’t just the shooting. Pangos had six assists and only a couple of turnover hiccups. Bell, who looked rushed and frustrated in GU’s exhibition and opener, was far more assured against the Cougar traps.
    Jim Meehan:
    Freshman Pangos scores 33 to sparks Zags past Cougs

Kevin Pangos, the nation. The nation, Kevin Pangos.

Gonzaga’s freshman guard hit nine 3-pointers and scored 33 points, sparking the Bulldogs past rival Washington State 89-81 Monday night in front of 6,000 at the McCarthey Athletic Center and a nationwide audience on ESPN.

Pangos, making his first start, put on a show from the outset, burying two 3s in the first 95 seconds to give Gonzaga a lead it would never relinquish. He had six 3s in the first half and finished 9 of 13 from long distance, tying Dan Dickau’s school record.

“It was special,” said Pangos, who also handed out six assists and made 6 of 6 free throws. “It felt great, but it’s just nice to get the win. We’re 2-0 and we’re trying to get build a great season.”
    “That was one heck of a game,’ Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. “I thought we were really in attack mode from the jump. We weathered some really serious storms throughout and we kind of outlasted them. It was definitely a pretty high level performance offensively from both teams.”
    “We call him ‘The Machine’,” said Sacre, who finished with 15 points, 10 boards and three blocks, a couple key swats in the last few minutes. “He’s like a vending machine. You know what you’re getting when you put a coin in.”
    Spokesman-Review Photo Album for the Game

NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press
    SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Gonzaga freshman guard Kevin Pangos has met Bulldogs legend Dan Dickau several times this season.

Next time they meet they will have plenty to talk about.

Pangos tied Dickau's school record with nine 3-pointers and finished with 33 points as No. 22 Gonzaga beat Washington State 89-81 on Monday night.

"I was just feeling it and got some open looks," said Pangos, a native of Newmarket, Ontario. He was 9 of 13 from 3-point range to tie the record set by Dickau, who hit nine 3s twice.

"I didn't know Dan held it," Pangos said of the record.

Coach Mark Few said the coaching staff have been on Pangos to shoot more.

"That's not a fluke," Few said. "Anytime he shoots it, it's a pretty good thing for us. He's got to realize that's his role for us."
    • Sep 2010

Rivals stories

“I was just feeling it and got some open looks,” said Pangos, a native of Newmarket, Ontario. He was 9 of 13 from 3-point range to tie the record set by Dickau, who hit nine 3s twice.

“That’s not a fluke,” Few said. “Anytime he shoots it, it’s a pretty good thing for us. He’s got to realize that’s his role for us.”

"I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• Baldwinzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thanks a bunch for the articles, ZN!

I'm dozing off myself...

Great game and an even better win; one we'll be talking about & referencing for a long time.

Props to the entire team as well as the breakout performances.

Good night & sleep well. Always sleep better following a win.

***Love this Sacre quote re: Pangos:

“We call him ‘The Machine’,” said Sacre, who finished with 15 points, 10 boards and three blocks, a couple key swats in the last few minutes. “He’s like a vending machine. You know what you’re getting when you put a coin in.”
      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Must .... post .... a .... little .... bit .... more:

KREM 2 highlight video

ESPN Highlight Video

Comment

• Nevtelen
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Sacre's quote really rings true for me. Pango just seems to be consistent. Burke pointed it out several times on the telecast, but for me even more than Pangos' shooting (which was amazing, but that very well might mark the last time he's that open that many times ever again ) what was impressive was his poise. That's what I saw in him when he played at the Nike Whatever-It-Was in Portland with the World Select Team. Sure, his team had very few plays worked out, weren't working together well, and his shot wasn't falling, but he never let it get to him. He did what he could with what he had and never let anything get him out of control or upset. Same vs WSU (and Eastern) - he just didn't let anything rattle him and always gave consistent, intelligent effort. That's the mark of a great PG in my book, even more than his shooting.

Comment

• Ekrub
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2009

The improvement at the PG position is refreshing. This team has a loooooong way to go, but I really enjoyed the game tonight.

Comment

• ZagNative
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

More video, this time from KXLY on espnnw.com.

You absolutely must be sure to check out Big Rob's interview! That guy is just priceless, at the top of his form in this one.

Newsguy: What was that like, watching that spectacle from three-pointland?

Rob: He's a machine! He came back, he's like John Conner. He just came back from the future and destroyed people's lives. That's what he's here for.

Newsguy asks what he thinks about the freshmen. Rob says, "Spangler ... Spangler is going to be the next Jared Allen. You're going to see a big block and he's going to do the hog tie, hopefully."

(I don't watch football, so I had to lookup a youtube video of Allen's hog tie celebration after a big sack.)
              Last edited by ZagNative; 11-15-2011, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                More video, this time from KXLY on espnnw.com.

You absolutely must be sure to check out Big Rob's interview! That guy is just priceless, at the top of his form in this one.

Newsguy: What was that like, watching that spectacle from three-pointland?

Rob: He's a machine! He came back, he's like John Conner. He just came back from the future and destroyed people's lives. That's what he's here for.

Newsguy asks what he thinks about the freshmen. Rob says, "Spangler ... Spangler is going to be the next Jared Allen. You're going to see a big block and he's going to do the hog tie, hopefully."

(I don't watch football, so I had to lookup a youtube video of Allen's hog tie celebration after a big sack.)

Hahaha, thanks for posting the link of Rob's interview. The best part of that video, is that two different times after Rob says something funny, you can see him and hear about 3 other players behind the camera's just start crackin up. You can really tell these guys enjoy eachother.
                Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• EuroZag2010
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2010

Damn gonna miss this guy after this year!! such a character and a great guy THE MACHINE is classic

ZN as always thank you for your great findings
                  Last edited by EuroZag2010; 11-15-2011, 06:58 AM. Reason: added extra
                  "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
                  -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Bump.

Comment

• NEC26
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Rob Sacre has got to give the best interviews of any Zag period. Gonna miss him when he is gone.

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Meehan's Day-After post.

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Not a press report, but here's a nice Youtube video that includes all of Kevin's three-pointers.

Comment

• cjm720
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

I only watched the Pangos and Sacre videos and I love how they're all about winning...that's the most important thing to these guys...great to hear. Thanks for posting, ZN.
                            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• gamagin
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

wonderful thread and work here, ZN

thanks !

On my way home from the k2 I heard Hudson interviewing KP on the radio and I remember this particular exchange in particular.

KP was asked how he felt about his great shooting and playing night and he said (paraphrasing) "I'm going to relish it tonight, but tomorrow we're going to get ready for the next game."
                              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Working...
                              X