If Rob worked all summer on his hands and explosiveness ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

If Rob worked all summer on his hands and explosiveness ....

... it didn't show much on Friday against Eastern. I feel bad singling out the guy whose hustle and free throws helped keep GU in that game but I also don't get how a guy that big and strong can get stripped so often. The season is young and I have high hopes but this team will only go as far as its front line will take it and Rob has to be stronger with the ball and finish plays. A good time to start would be tomorrow against WSU.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • EuroZag2010
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2010

I agree, numerous times where the EWU defender slapped the ball away or he lost it do to not being strong with it. But I will say this he did have 4 guys hang on his arms like he was a tree a bunch of times.

I hope he can get better as the season progresses or as FuMan said the cougs game.
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• thickman1
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
      ... it didn't show much on Friday against Eastern. I feel bad singling out the guy whose hustle and free throws helped keep GU in that game but I also don't get how a guy that big and strong can get stripped so often. The season is young and I have high hopes but this team will only go as far as its front line will take it and Rob has to be stronger with the ball and finish plays. A good time to start would be tomorrow against WSU.
      +1

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

The Zags NEED to begin to find the Ninja 3 point shooter in themselves. We can not continue to make only 3 three-point shots and shoot 25% from the 3 pt line and win. I'm going to back off of Robert and give him some slack and begin to target the guards as a big part of his problem.

We have guys who can shoot the three and knock 'em down: Monninghoff, Pangos, Bell and Stocks to some extent. Our guards need to set the Ninja shooter inside themselves free. Loosen up guys. You know you can shoot. You could shoot it in high school and you can shoot it now too. The key to hitting the 3 pt shot is just to relax and remember that you have done this a thousand times. The Ninja shooters hit the open shots from the outside. The open shots are there now, just as they were back in high school. They are open shots. Remember what you did back then and do it now. Relax, pull the trigger, aim and fire. BANG.

Let's begin tonight to hit those outside shots, and keep those guards away from being able to sag off Robert. I think that then we will see the new Robert the MDABE talked about this summer.
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Baldwinzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

A serial one-star(er) on GUBoards?

Whichever poster is patrolling these boards & one starring threads is actually more ignorant and yellow-bellied than anything they believe to be guarding/discriminating against w/their own pointless "ranking".

Whomever you are, its time to become more benevolent and allow a message board to be what its meant to be: candid discourse of reasonable opinions & sharing. An accurate assessment -- or pointing out an area of improvement -- of said player is not a "personal attack" of malicious intent.

Now, are there certain posters whom should be banned or placed in a timeout on occasion? Absolutely. Some of you definitely need to step away from the keyboard for awhile; however, the constant one-starring of threads worthy of fair discussion has become frivolous at best and quite biased (toward certain forum members and/or any sort of constructive feedback).

Time to ZAG UP!
          “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Not me... But glad to see that the old standby of negativity is being held down by the man... When it is impossible to be positive on this board lest you be told you are keeping the negative Nancy's down.... Vicious cycle. I do love the irony of people being negative not liking the fact that someone is negative about their negativity.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• IrishZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Jul 2008

5 stars!

IZF
              Keep out of the Foo, unless you know what you are fooing.......

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Why should anyone care whether a thread is one or 5 stars ?
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• EngineerZag
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Feb 2007

There are two things that Rob could do to really improve his game:

1) Make his move a LOT quicker instead of waiting so long with the ball.

2) Pass more out of the double team instead of forcing up a shot.

IMO if he did these two things the improvement to the whole team would be huge.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I positively hate all the negativity about negative posts.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                      Why should anyone care whether a thread is one or 5 stars ?
                      +1

No one should really, yet when it becomes more & more obvious someone is targeting specific posters and topics, then it becomes a tiring/unfair trend, imo.
                      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

There are stars for the threads? Actually figured that out after 2 years. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, excepting threads like the 'El Voce' thread.

But I do like the cheers smilie! Reminds me, its time for another one! LOL
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bostonzagfan
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                          There are stars for the threads? Actually figured that out after 2 years. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, excepting threads like the 'El Voce' thread.

But I do like the cheers smilie! Reminds me, its time for another one! LOL
                          it kind of looks like two guys fist bumping, each with a giant ring on.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2009

Back to the original topic:

I have always been disappointed in the lack of explosiveness of Rob. He is just not that springy. Certainly not like E. He gets his dunks but it's usually when he has completely clear path to the hoop. But that's fine anymore - I have succumbed to the idea that getting him to the FT line might be as good, or better.

His hands though - I don't know, a lot of bigs seem to have that problem. Kuso was that way, remember being extremely frustrated watching him sometimes.

Batista was far and away our best 'hands' big. Guys like him and Kevin Love come along only once in a blue moon. Daye was excellent as well and Spangler* being a multi-sport athlete seems to have glue on his hands, excited to see more of him.

*play him Few!

Comment

• zagzilla
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Dickau made a comment about rebounding "out of your immediate area" or something like that. What he meant was the ability to get to rebounds that don't come right to you.

This is where I get frustrated with Rob. He seems to get far fewer than 50% of the "50/50 balls" that don't come right to him.

I do think Rob is a huge asset for us. We need to make it harder for opponents to double down off of the wing and he needs to make them pay with more "and ones" when they do. Getting to the line is terrific-3 point plays do real damage.

BTW-I can already tell that I am going to love having Dickau talk about the games this year. He has real talent as a broadcaster.

ZZ

Comment

Working...
                              X