PDA

View Full Version : If Rob worked all summer on his hands and explosiveness ....

FuManShoes
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
... it didn't show much on Friday against Eastern. I feel bad singling out the guy whose hustle and free throws helped keep GU in that game but I also don't get how a guy that big and strong can get stripped so often. The season is young and I have high hopes but this team will only go as far as its front line will take it and Rob has to be stronger with the ball and finish plays. A good time to start would be tomorrow against WSU.

EuroZag2010
11-14-2011, 12:27 AM
I agree, numerous times where the EWU defender slapped the ball away or he lost it do to not being strong with it. But I will say this he did have 4 guys hang on his arms like he was a tree a bunch of times.

I hope he can get better as the season progresses or as FuMan said the cougs game.

thickman1
11-14-2011, 05:10 AM
... it didn't show much on Friday against Eastern. I feel bad singling out the guy whose hustle and free throws helped keep GU in that game but I also don't get how a guy that big and strong can get stripped so often. The season is young and I have high hopes but this team will only go as far as its front line will take it and Rob has to be stronger with the ball and finish plays. A good time to start would be tomorrow against WSU.

+1

Reborn
11-14-2011, 05:24 AM
The Zags NEED to begin to find the Ninja 3 point shooter in themselves. We can not continue to make only 3 three-point shots and shoot 25% from the 3 pt line and win. I'm going to back off of Robert and give him some slack and begin to target the guards as a big part of his problem.

We have guys who can shoot the three and knock 'em down: Monninghoff, Pangos, Bell and Stocks to some extent. Our guards need to set the Ninja shooter inside themselves free. Loosen up guys. You know you can shoot. You could shoot it in high school and you can shoot it now too. The key to hitting the 3 pt shot is just to relax and remember that you have done this a thousand times. The Ninja shooters hit the open shots from the outside. The open shots are there now, just as they were back in high school. They are open shots. Remember what you did back then and do it now. Relax, pull the trigger, aim and fire. BANG.

Let's begin tonight to hit those outside shots, and keep those guards away from being able to sag off Robert. I think that then we will see the new Robert the MDABE talked about this summer.

Baldwinzag
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Whichever poster is patrolling these boards & one starring threads is actually more ignorant and yellow-bellied than anything they believe to be guarding/discriminating against w/their own pointless "ranking".

Whomever you are, its time to become more benevolent and allow a message board to be what its meant to be: candid discourse of reasonable opinions & sharing. An accurate assessment -- or pointing out an area of improvement -- of said player is not a "personal attack" of malicious intent.

Now, are there certain posters whom should be banned or placed in a timeout on occasion? Absolutely. Some of you definitely need to step away from the keyboard for awhile; however, the constant one-starring of threads worthy of fair discussion has become frivolous at best and quite biased (toward certain forum members and/or any sort of constructive feedback).

Time to ZAG UP!

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Not me... But glad to see that the old standby of negativity is being held down by the man... When it is impossible to be positive on this board lest you be told you are keeping the negative Nancy's down.... Vicious cycle. I do love the irony of people being negative not liking the fact that someone is negative about their negativity.

IrishZagFan
11-14-2011, 07:37 AM
5 stars!

;)

RenoZag
11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Why should anyone care whether a thread is one or 5 stars ?

EngineerZag
11-14-2011, 07:43 AM
There are two things that Rob could do to really improve his game:

1) Make his move a LOT quicker instead of waiting so long with the ball.

2) Pass more out of the double team instead of forcing up a shot.

IMO if he did these two things the improvement to the whole team would be huge.

zaguarxj
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
I positively hate all the negativity about negative posts. :)

Baldwinzag
11-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Why should anyone care whether a thread is one or 5 stars ?

+1

No one should really, yet when it becomes more & more obvious someone is targeting specific posters and topics, then it becomes a tiring/unfair trend, imo.

willandi
11-14-2011, 07:56 AM
There are stars for the threads? Actually figured that out after 2 years. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, excepting threads like the 'El Voce' thread.
:cheers:
But I do like the cheers smilie! Reminds me, its time for another one! LOL

bostonzagfan
11-14-2011, 07:59 AM
There are stars for the threads? Actually figured that out after 2 years. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, excepting threads like the 'El Voce' thread.
But I do like the cheers smilie! Reminds me, its time for another one! LOL

it kind of looks like two guys fist bumping, each with a giant ring on.

U Zig, I Zag
11-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Back to the original topic:

I have always been disappointed in the lack of explosiveness of Rob. He is just not that springy. Certainly not like E. He gets his dunks but it's usually when he has completely clear path to the hoop. But that's fine anymore - I have succumbed to the idea that getting him to the FT line might be as good, or better.

His hands though - I don't know, a lot of bigs seem to have that problem. Kuso was that way, remember being extremely frustrated watching him sometimes.

Batista was far and away our best 'hands' big. Guys like him and Kevin Love come along only once in a blue moon. Daye was excellent as well and Spangler* being a multi-sport athlete seems to have glue on his hands, excited to see more of him.

*play him Few!

zagzilla
11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Dickau made a comment about rebounding "out of your immediate area" or something like that. What he meant was the ability to get to rebounds that don't come right to you.

This is where I get frustrated with Rob. He seems to get far fewer than 50% of the "50/50 balls" that don't come right to him.

I do think Rob is a huge asset for us. We need to make it harder for opponents to double down off of the wing and he needs to make them pay with more "and ones" when they do. Getting to the line is terrific-3 point plays do real damage.

BTW-I can already tell that I am going to love having Dickau talk about the games this year. He has real talent as a broadcaster.

ZZ

Baldwinzag
11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
His hands though - I don't know, a lot of bigs seem to have that problem. Kuso was that way, remember being extremely frustrated watching him sometimes.

Batista was far and away our best 'hands' big. Guys like him and Kevin Love come along only once in a blue moon. Daye was excellent as well and Spangler* being a multi-sport athlete seems to have glue on his hands, excited to see more of him.

*play him Few!

Agreed.

In the limited times I've seen him as a Zag and in the Oklahoma news recaps, I couldn't help but notice his ability to secure the ball -- from a rebound, an inlet pass, and/or defensive pressure(swats). His hands are like a magnet on the ball. However, this remains to be seen at the D1 level, but you know it when you see it...

Baldwinzag
11-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Perhaps one of the posters that are disapointed in RS could point me to another 7 ft, 265 lb college center that is quicker and averages at least .488 and .823 from the FT line? Didn't he have 20 points and 10 boards?

Coach Lloyd believes Rob's "hands" have improved:

“He’s come a long way,” Lloyd said. “He has a lot of natural gifts with size, mobility, but he wasn’t blessed with the greatest hands. For a guy to overcome that deficiency, it’s very, very rare. You don’t see many guys make that progress. All credit to Rob, he’s worked hard year round.”

Rest of the Sacre's story HERE (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/10/center-of-attention/).

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
11-14-2011, 09:22 AM
zagzilla sez:

"This is where I get frustrated with Rob. He seems to get far fewer than 50% of the "50/50 balls" that don't come right to him.

I do think Rob is a huge asset for us. We need to make it harder for opponents to double down off of the wing and he needs to make them pay with more "and ones" when they do. Getting to the line is terrific-3 point plays do real damage.

BTW-I can already tell that I am going to love having Dickau talk about the games this year. He has real talent as a broadcaster."

Agreement on both. I have finally come to grips with the fact that Rob is who he is and is not a future NBA-er. Just a good solid top thirty college center.

I am more worried though about our back court. I can live with the idea that we don't have a natural three, but our back court is the real key to this team and to date I am not sold on them as quarterbacks--as athletes, yes, but not yet as people who run the plays.

kitzbuel
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
EWU's game plan was to try shutting down the middle, even if that meant fouling Rob and they did that in spades. The defense was hanging on him and he shot 18FTs (more that EWU shot as a team).

It appeared to me that Few's game plan was to keep punching the ball inside and let foul attrition catch up with EWU. It worked, not pretty, but it worked. EWU just did not have enough depth to carry their game plan through to the end.

That game plan may not work with deeper teams, so I hope (and assume) there are different game plans in the works for other teams.

CDC84
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
The biggest issue with Rob continues to be rebounding out of his area. Even Fox and Dickau mentioned it during the broadcast. It's something that he really needs to focus on.

Rob is just never going to have great hands. You either have 'em or you don't. He's never going to be JP Batista. I can live with that. Nor is he ever going to be able to take off like a rocket. I can live with that as well.

zag944
11-14-2011, 09:52 AM
The guy was getting abused the whole game and he turned the ball over only twice while getting 18 free throws. Sure hes losing a couple touches he has a chance at, but the work he put in was the obvious difference in the game.

Baldwinzag
11-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Rob is just never going to have great hands. You either have 'em or you don't. He's never going to be JP Batista. I can live with that. Nor is he ever going to be able to take off like a rocket. I can live with that as well.

, yet we can live with having a 7-foot, 265lb Center manning the middle for us, especially since 95% of D1 teams don't have this luxury...

:)

zagzilla
11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
This team will go as far as Big Rob and Elias carry us (on their broad shoulders). Rob will go down as one of my all time favorite Zags for sure.

ZZ

CDC84
11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
This is old news, but I still don't blame JP Batista for that play against UCLA for three reasons: a) the ball should have never been passed to him at the place on the floor to begin with b) he was fouled c) Derek Raivio, as the team's primary ballhandler and best foul shooter, wasn't aggressive enough in making his presence known to JP. He should've been demanding the ball.

I agree, most teams would give anything to have Rob on their team as their center. It's just that you have to live with the things he can't change. As I said, I can live with his poor hands and his lack of jumping ability. What I have trouble with is how inattentive he can be when it comes to rebounding out of his area.

scott257
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
He was mugged every time he had the ball, but....I actually believe there was improvement and remember commenting at one point that he finally had developed a better grip on the ball. Maybe I just wanted to see improvement, but there was one specific time that he took the ball up and dunked even though the defense had gotten a hand on the ball. Last year I believe he would have lost it.

gamagin
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
The biggest issue with Rob continues to be rebounding out of his area. Even Fox and Dickau mentioned it during the broadcast. It's something that he really needs to focus on.

I think it's called soft hands. He doesn't have them. Used to be a Zag by the name of Oscar Maguire who would actually lose the ball while attempting to stuff it or just make a lay in. Hands like ping pong paddles.

Kuso had that kind of trouble, too. He seems to have gotten better.

I noticed rob catching more passes than usual recently, even though he should catch them all. Thus I agree he has improved. But it's an ongoing problem.

I think this problem, which has always been there, has frustrated many efforts to get the ball inside, triple teaming aside. I don't think he looks the ball into his hands enough, either.

That plus the hand thing make for a difficult turn and shoot situation at times. He has to stop, lower his arms and the ball, and think for a split second. But by then he is tied up. The mechanics remain a work in process.

scott257
11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
He has to stop, lower his arms and the ball, and think for a split second. But by then he is tied up. The mechanics remain a work in process.

Agree completely. I believe he held on better than before, but he still has to improve on this.

MDABE80
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Rob's much better than last year. EWU clogged the key and hung all over Rob...thus the fouls called. Spangler would add much when Rob is being mugged. Sam is just not the type of player who will be in the scrum. Seems like he doesn't have a taste for it. Thus he sat against EWU. Spanger loves the scrum...and he's big enough to pull off major rebounding and scoring during some football type play.

Key is rebounding and defense. We killed EWU on the boards . Elias and Rob hit the boards but Hart's play (contrary to what many think) was magnificent on the boards and chasing down errant balls.

Guards won't be up to speed untill December. Pangos did well but the off guard play was weak with Carter and Bell. If it was me, I'd get Bell's nose in it until he turns this around. I'd lose the girlfriend too. He needs to focus..ALL frosh do. It's that shooting guard spot than absolutely MUST improve...no more 4 on 5 on offense. 37% shooting will improve...It has to.

bostonzagfan
11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
This team will go as far as Big Rob and Elias carry us (on their broad shoulders). Rob will go down as one of my all time favorite Zags for sure.

ZZ

how far he takes us this year will determine where he goes down on my list.

i have only been a fan for a few years, but my faves are 1 ammo, 2 ravio, 3 pargo, 4 bouldin, 5 harris.