PDA

View Full Version : Settle Down

Bouldin4Prez
11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I think the stat that has been looked at the least after the EWU game is that we had only 11 assists to 17 turnovers. I attribute that to first game jitters, let's work out some kinks, slow down a little bit and play some good basketball. People are looking at this win way too critically. Let's not write off the season because we beat an inferior opponent by only 8 points. Crazier things happen in basketball, like we could have lost that game but we didn't. All in all we are still undefeated and moving on to play WSU on Monday.

Go zags!

HOOTER
11-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I personally like the way the EWU game went. This team needed to be tested early. I think if they had whooped the Eags like many expected the potential for a letdown against the Cougs would be much higher. The weaknesses were exposed. Now let's see if they can make the necessary corrections.

Baldwinzag
11-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I personally like the way the EWU game went. This team needed to be tested early. I think if they had whooped the Eags like many expected the potential for a letdown against the Cougs would be much higher. The weaknesses were exposed. Now let's see if they can make the necessary corrections.

+1

Let's hope.

'Weaknesses' were more than obvious, yet there are reasons to be excited as well.

As Coach Few said, "this team pick up on things quickly". Maybe they can make the necessary corrections by Monday night.

Personally, I'd like to see us utilize our offensive weapons a bit more, especially our shooters(Carter, Pangos, Hoff, & Bell Jr)...an iso-play and/or a few more ball-screens wouldn't hurt here either.

We have the talent, let's get 'em OPEN!

kclubfounder
11-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I haven't been on the board too much lately, but I read a comment prior to the Eastern game that warned everyone that Eastern would be TOUGH. It was primarily about the coach, but some of the players were also referenced. Turns out that comment was dead on.

As I watched the game, I kept wishing Gonzaga would play better and put them away. But I also had to acknowledge how fantastic Eastern was playing. Many on this board do not have the ability to take into account how an opponent is playing (whether it is a highly rated opponent playing poorly or a lightly rated opponent playing well), and that is easy to understand because it is human nature.

I'm of the opinion that any unbiased viewer would have totally impressed with Eastern - and then given Kudos to the Zags for wearing them out and ultimately winning by 8.

bigblahla
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I haven't been on the board too much lately, but I read a comment prior to the Eastern game that warned everyone that Eastern would be TOUGH. It was primarily about the coach, but some of the players were also referenced. Turns out that comment was dead on.

As I watched the game, I kept wishing Gonzaga would play better and put them away. But I also had to acknowledge how fantastic Eastern was playing. Many on this board do not have the ability to take into account how an opponent is playing (whether it is a highly rated opponent playing poorly or a lightly rated opponent playing well), and that is easy to understand because it is human nature.

I'm of the opinion that any unbiased viewer would have totally impressed with Eastern - and then given Kudos to the Zags for wearing them out and ultimately winning by 8.

Agree, the game in a nutshell.

Go!! Zags!!!

HOOTER
11-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Agreed. I'm not sure the Zags played a bad game as much as Eastern played a very good game. Let's give EWU some credit for giving their all, and props to the Zags for withstanding the pressure and pulling out the win. It was a good game all around.

zag67
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Kclub, well stated. They had a game plan, followed it and worked hard. We had a game plan and they did all they could to not allow us points in the paint. We wore them down and won.

maynard g krebs
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
The 11 assists/17 to's needs to be taken in context in this game. Eastern was hacking like crazy. If you pass to a shooter who is fouled and misses the fg but goes to the line, it doesn't count as an assist. And when a team is fouling that much, the refs can't or won't call them all, which can result in a few more to's.

Mantua
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I worry through games like this one that someone is going to be injured. I understand that physicality is a big part of the game, but I wish EWU hadn't fouled quite so much. We didn't really get a chance to get into an offensive rhythm. The stratagem came awfully close to working out for EWU. I don't know what lessons we learned except to be tough. I can't see a highly ranked team duplicating EWU's defense. It's risky and desperate. On the other hand, their offense provided a very clear picture of our weaknesses, which I agree is great in the sense that there is a valuable lesson for us. We just have to wait until tomorrow night to see if the turnovers, poor free throw shooting and poor perimeter defense continue to be big problems. The energy needs to be notched up a bit but that's hard to do when the team is still so disorganized. Last year at this time I found myself wishing things would gel more quickly.