PDA

View Full Version : Coach K fired?

Zig-Zag
11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Rumor has it the Fan Board at Duke has fired Coach K after his inexplicible one point win over lowly Belmont. Fans believe he has lost it and season is gone. This comes following similar firing of Ben Holland of UCLA after thier inexcusable loss to LMU. Further rumor has it Coach K is in talks with Gonzaga understanding that thier fans are so much more understanding.:lmao:

04ZagFan
11-12-2011, 05:38 PM
This would be funny if GU and Coach Few had the resume` Duke and coach K has...

Unfortunately that's not the case, and we have been terrible against the 3 for a long, long time.

Zig-Zag
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry for your lack of humor but embarassed for your ignorance of what these coaches have done for this University. 14 yrs ago no one knew the name 'Gonzoga' let alone 'Spokiain'. You remind me of Mariner fans when they had 116 season wins "Lou' couldn't win the big one get rid of him!:explode:

Oregonzagnut
11-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Most teams must go through jitters and overly high expectations in the first couple games. Mark Few experiments with lineups for about 20 games anyways so, we should understand not blowing out teams when the lineups keep changing, but most importantly....

EWU plays us every year. EWU prepares for Gonzaga more than we do for them. EWU also knows that if they can beat Gonzaga ANY year, it would be a huge feather in their cap and hopefully not even the best win for their NCAA resume.

EWU is a local team, we are ranked, we are rivals and they know they had to run, gun and hit the 3 ball to make it close. They did all 3. EWU, WSU and even Idaho are not pushovers anymore and we need to understand that these teams will give us their absolute all 110% for 40 minutes.

The local teams want to beat us more than the rest. And that is true with any local rivalry.

04ZagFan
11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry for your lack of humor but embarassed for your ignorance of what these coaches have done for this University. 14 yrs ago no one knew the name 'Gonzoga' let alone 'Spokiain'. You remind me of Mariner fans when they had 116 season wins "Lou' couldn't win the big one get rid of him!:explode:

Give me a damn break. I'm "ignorant" eh?

Do a little research, PLEASE. The other day I posted a couple of messages in threads about this program... Where Mark Few and co. took this tiny little program in Spokane is unprecedented.. Never been anything like it. The way in which we have dominated the WCC is also remarkable. I wouldn't trade Few for the world.......

But we aren't perfect. We have the talent and ability to be better. Why can't we discuss these things? For you to use the argument you chose as to why we can't seem to guard the 3 ball? Why Mike Hart is in the game? Completely irrelevant arguments.... Nobody is saying the coaches are inept, or the program sucks.

CDC84
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Belmont is probably going to win 28-30 games this year. They are one of the best teams from a non-BCS league. That win is going to look very good on Duke's resume come March.

cggonzaga
11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
EWU prepares for Gonzaga more than we do for them.

No. There is a reason Gonzaga has been as good as they have for the past 13 years. The staff doesn't look past anyone. The amount of work coaching staffs put into film study is ridiculous these days.

EngineerZag
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
The reality is, guys, we didn't look very good in that game, and there is plenty of cause for concern. We don't seem to learn from year to year on how to get better guarding the 3, and it's a big issue that is holding us back. If we would have held them to even 35% shooting from 3 the game would not have been close.

willandi
11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Nobody is saying the coaches are inept, or the program sucks.

Actually, a lot of people on this board are saying that Few is inept. One, in paticular, screamed it over and over in the game thread. He refused to answer my simple question, so I pose it all of you critics of the coach this game:"which school are you coaching at, or have you coached at, as the head coach, for a minimum of 10 years of D1 ball, and been perennially ranked in the top 25"?
Answer that, and I will have a reason to listen to your critique of Mark Few. I understand that this is a fan forum, but a lot of people have been questioning and criticizing Few's decisions, What are your credentials, other than being fans?
I think it was a good win. I expect to win Monday, and maybe use a different cast of players, but if we win, as a fan, that is what matters. Not whether the coach made the same choices that you would have, if you were a coach.

Demetri Awesome
11-12-2011, 10:13 PM
wow another great thread.

primal23
11-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Actually, a lot of people on this board are saying that Few is inept. One, in paticular, screamed it over and over in the game thread. He refused to answer my simple question, so I pose it all of you critics of the coach this game:"which school are you coaching at, or have you coached at, as the head coach, for a minimum of 10 years of D1 ball, and been perennially ranked in the top 25"?
Answer that, and I will have a reason to listen to your critique of Mark Few. I understand that this is a fan forum, but a lot of people have been questioning and criticizing Few's decisions, What are your credentials, other than being fans?
I think it was a good win. I expect to win Monday, and maybe use a different cast of players, but if we win, as a fan, that is what matters. Not whether the coach made the same choices that you would have, if you were a coach.
I didn't read any of the game thread so I don't know the basis, so please do not take this as an attack or a snide comment because that it truly not the intent, but just a question, is questioning the coach or decisions made by the coach only be valid if one is/was a coach for many years?

WanderingZag
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM

God forbid we ever question Few.

Zag-Coug
11-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Under your criteria, most likely nobody on this board has the valid credentials to be critical. Thus, we'd all be relegated to posting only positive viewpoints. In that case we could probably just pack this whole thing up and call it a day.

Look, I get that several people around here have gone off of the deep end after just one game that was, in fact, a win. A lot of the so called "badness" from this first game is stuff that I would expect to see early on in the year (IE disjointed play, weak chemistry, line up experimentation, etc.).

That being said, I think the concerns about perimeter defense are well placed and address a real issue. Granted I don't have 10+ years of successful D-1 coaching experience. But you don't have to be a dairy farmer to recognize sour milk either :).

willandi
11-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Of course we are allowed to question, and of course we need to worry and fret, but in the game thread, at least one individual repeatedly stated that this was the worst, well I'll paste a few. It just bothers me.

"welp, Coach Few's infamous "loyalty" shining through tonight.

"This lineup has ZERO offense in the backcourt. OK on defense.

Is this a Top-25 lineup right now? You tell me.

Its not, imho.

Play your BEST OVERALL players -- in all phases.

Has Mike Hart ever scored a point, ever?

What a joke Coach."

"Pangos scores 4 straight points and Few pulls him?!

Go Figure.

did he mistake him for Stockton on the court, maybe?

What the hell? "

"Coach Few has been a complete JOKE this game.

Let it be heard.

Dare I say the worst I've ever seen him?

EVERY SINGLE player who has gained momentum or made the bucket, he has pulled and single-handedly taken them outta the game.

Is he not paying attention?!

Pangos scored 4 straight = pulled.

Elias scored 6-7 pts & hit a shot = pulled

The list goes on...

He's been a coaching disaster this game.

We can't make a shot, no Monninghoff? Huh?

Its on him. "

"
Over 5 mins into the 2nd half...No Dower, No Pangos, No Gary Bell, No Hoff...

Few is on a roll tonight..."

"
Our starting lineup SUCKS.

Sam Dower should play WAY more.

Marquise Carter is WAY over his head.

3 names have been consistent: Pangos, Dower, and Elias have been the best tonight.

Coach Few is struggling tonight."

No names, just questioning. If you're that much better than Few, what are your credentials? And you're right about them being too hard, how about "Which College team have you been on the coaching staff for a single season?"
We are allowed to question, comment and opine, but there should be some substance behind it. Like the folks discounting Hart. He isn't a great scorer but he did a lot of intangibles during the game. I think that Few, whether he tells us or not, has reasons for who he starts and who he plays. He also has a pretty good record of success, so before throwing the horse under the cart, make sure you have a horse and own a cart. That's all.

04ZagFan
11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Coach Few isn't the only one coaching the basketball team, and that has been the case for his entire tenure.

The ignore the glaring weaknesses that have surfaced over the last few years is ignorant. You can't blindly trust a guy just because he has the resume he does. He's far from perfect. Our defensive schemes are terrible. This isn't the type of defense I remember building this program.

kclubfounder
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Coach Few isn't the only one coaching the basketball team, and that has been the case for his entire tenure.

The ignore the glaring weaknesses that have surfaced over the last few years is ignorant. You can't blindly trust a guy just because he has the resume he does. He's far from perfect. Our defensive schemes are terrible. This isn't the type of defense I remember building this program.

I'm sorry. I can't ignore the glaring weaknesses in your ability to discuss issues that have surfaced over the past few days. I can't blindly trust a guy just because he logs in and spews his opinions whether they are obnoxious, thought out, or not. You are far from perfect. Your arguments are terrible. These aren't the types of comments I remember building this website into the awesome website that it is today. You really need to sit down and shut your pie hole. Either that or you need to make more reasonable and thoughtful comments.

Bogozags
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Belmont is probably going to win 28-30 games this year. They are one of the best teams from a non-BCS league. That win is going to look very good on Duke's resume come March.

AND that will be a GREAT loss come March too for Belmont! They are a team I do not want to play in a 10 vs 7 match-up!

04ZagFan
11-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry. I can't ignore the glaring weaknesses in your ability to discuss issues that have surfaced over the past few days. I can't blindly trust a guy just because he logs in and spews his opinions whether they are obnoxious, thought out, or not. You are far from perfect. Your arguments are terrible. These aren't the types of comments I remember building this website into the awesome website that it is today. You really need to sit down and shut your pie hole. Either that or you need to make more reasonable and thoughtful comments.

LOL are you serious!!?!?

You've called me a jackass, and spewed this sarcastic copy cat response..

When are you going to actually debate my opinions with legitimate opinions of your own!? How immature are you? If you're going to insult me, and be a jerk, at least throw in some actual on topic responses? Given your SN, and inability to refute others' opinions, I think you should stick to debating cheer leading and wild out fits.