PDA

View Full Version : Missing the "Voice of Reason"

Section 116
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
We're one game into the season and I am going to go ahead and say we already miss the "Voice of Reason." There is no need to rehash any of the negative threads posted. While I have not read each thread in its entirety, I don't believe this has been mentioned, and because I was at the game I don't know if this was mentioned during the broadcast. Just prior to the tipoff last evening there was a moment of silence for two men who were public address voices of the Zags in the past, both of whom passed away this year. Our own "Voice of Reason" Dick Schomburg, and Harv Clark who spent years as the voice of the Zags, were honored with a pregame tribute and both mens pictures were shown on the video boards as each end of the arena. Dick's son, Neil. flew up from Portland OR, to attend last evening's game and sat with his mother. Neil said it was only his second game ever in the MAC. I am sure there were members of Harv Clarks family somewhere in the arena but I don't know any of them. It was a nice tribute. Dick was always a calming voice here when things went into meltdown status. He is already missed here, as I knew he would be!

gozagswoohoo
11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Awesome. Nobody deserves that honor more than Dick. Wish I could have seen/heard it.

He is definitley missed.

GU69
11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
we already miss the "Voice of Reason."

I agree. I was thinking about Dick earlier when I was reading some of the threads.

Rangerzag
11-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I agree. I was thinking about Dick earlier when I was reading some of the threads.

When I read the following post (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=695267&postcount=5) it left me thinking of Dick and figuring he would have liked it if he had not posted something similar.

This board's "meltdown" is similar in nature to the Washington Husky football board(s) after their opening season 30 to 27 victory over Eastern Washington at Husky Stadium.

What was missed by venting Husky football fans in early September was the fact that Washington played close to the vest -- not really showing anything in their game plan (i.e. UW didn't throw downfield -- they ran between the tackles -- they didn't blitz, etc). After all, they were playing Eastern -- and as tough as it was to watch -- they DID win.

Although last night's GU game wasn't fun to watch (i.e. GU didn't display 10 percent of the arsenal) -- it DID end up in a "W".

11 and 13 are still alive. How could those streaks possibly exist given that the team is in Coach Few's inept hands -- and not in the hands of the multitude of smarter, more basketball savvy folks that bestow their expertise on this board? Seems impossible to me.

Somehow -- I think the Zags will be okay -- despite the nonstop rumbling from the masses.

So -- the one thing I have to say?

Beat WSU.

gamagin
11-12-2011, 09:54 PM
smiling face on the big screen. Glad his wife and son got to see it, too.

RIP.

Zag79
11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Our seats are right by Dick and Beth, it was pretty emotional for the people and friends around. We'll miss el voce this year, and this is the perfect time now. These young zags are 2-0, and have just beaten both our rivals. Its obvious we have found a hidden gem in Pangos. The front court is one of the best in the nation. This is going to be a great season! Go zags! Rip Dick...