PDA

View Full Version : S-R EWU Game Story

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Meehan's EWU Game Story (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/11/gonzaga-holds-scrappy-eastern-opener/)

It’s the first night out. We played a veteran team and we played a bunch of young guys, even some guys that had to play different roles,” Few said. “Our entire schedule is going to be like this. I wouldn’t get caught up in the rankings or the hype and all that. Literally our entire schedule is going to be full of games very much like this. Hopefully we can step up to the task like we did in the last five minutes.”

roxdoc
11-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Last 5 minutes most of their starters fouled out.

ZagNative
11-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Meehan's Day-After post (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blog/2011/nov/12/day-after-ewu/).
—Little known fact. The folks at CBS contacted Gonzaga a few years ago about playing in the Carrier Classic. The Bulldogs said they’d love to be involved, but apparently the network decided the Veterans Day game didn’t mesh with its Friday fall programming schedule.

ESPN took the reigns and opted for traditional powers North Carolina and Michigan State. The Bulldogs are hoping for a future invite.
—Back to the game. It goes without saying that Gonzaga was out of sync offensively and defensively for large portions of the game. The Bulldogs had a handful of dunks and scored some buckets in transition after EWU turnovers, but points rarely came easily. The half-court offense didn’t regularly produce field goals, but the Zags did get to the free-throw line a stunning 51 times, thanks in part to a size differential that lead to 22 offensive rebounds and 25 second-chance points.

As Marquise Carter tweeted after the game: “Tough game but good win.”

Gonzaga made just 19 of 51 shots (37.3 percent) and 3 of 13 3-pointers (23.1 percent). GU didn’t take full advantage of its free throws until the latter stages. The Zags were 12 of 19 in the first half before finishing 24 of 32 in the second half.

“Not unusual for November and not unusual when you’re playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores out on the perimeter against a team that’s pressuring you and up into you,” coach Mark Few said. “We also shot 51 free throws so that’s not going to be a pretty game in terms of flow. They were trying to play us physical on the ball and in the post, and it was a tough game to get much flow in.”

Defensively, GU lost track of shooters in man, zone and on a couple of perimeter traps. EWU, particularly Collin Chiverton, Cliff Colimon and Jeffrey Forbes, knocked down 13 3s. The Eagles missed a number of 3s late to finish at 44.8 percent, but they were still getting pretty good looks. Fatigue appeared to be a factor, especially for Chiverton, who logged 38 minutes and misfired on 10 of his last 11 shots.Lots more in Jim's post here (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blog/2011/nov/12/day-after-ewu/).

WallaWallaZag
11-13-2011, 06:42 AM
It’s the first night out. We played a veteran team and we played a bunch of young guys, even some guys that had to play different roles,” Few said. “Our entire schedule is going to be like this. I wouldn’t get caught up in the rankings or the hype and all that. Literally our entire schedule is going to be full of games very much like this. Hopefully we can step up to the task like we did in the last five minutes.”

this sounds a little too much like coach few already coming up with excuses ahead of time...too much for my liking anyways. and the zags really are not that young or inexperienced really, starting 2 seniors 2 juniors and 1 redshirt soph who got plenty of time as a freshman. that's a lot more experience in the starting lineup than a lot of top 25 teams.

and while eastern might be a more veteran team, it's also a team that only won 10 games last year and also lost its best player to transfer.

bballbeachbum
11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
it's great to read Meehan, and Blanchette. thanks for posting the links

from Meehan

I watched a replay in the wee hours this morning and it confirmed what I witnessed live. Most of EWU’s 3s were quality looks. GU went zone fairly early in the first half and EWU swung the ball to Chiverton, who was open as Gonzaga tried to cover three Eagles with two guys out front. On another, Chiverton got away from Gary Bell Jr. Colimon hit a pull-up 3 over Stockton. The Eagles beat the trap at least twice and knocked down 3s. Chiverton nailed another when he was open after a teammate’s drive and dish. Colimon created space for a 3 with a pump-fake on Stockton.

Chiverton’s only FG in the final 11 minutes was a 3 with Hart draped on him 22 feet from the hoop. Forbes hit two 3s from the corner, one created by a drive and dish and one when the zone was slow to rotate.

"(Hart’s) a smart guy and gives you a heck of a defender – both on the ball and off the ball. He might be more valuable off the ball.”--Few

looking forward to WSU

GO ZAGS!!!

willandi
11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I wonder if we (the Zags) shouldn't ask the Refs to wear blinders or blindfolds. I don't know how many more of these 'tainted' wins we can bear!

It's a joke, son!