PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry! But that was UGLY!

Reborn
11-12-2011, 08:34 AM
This was NOT the Zag team I thought I would see, based a lot on MDABE'S reporting this summer. I never saw the "new" Robert Sacre we were supposed to see. I saw the same guy who can not jump, can not pass, can not defend the basket. Yes he is a good free throw shooter, but he always has been. He got a lot of his boards on the offensive end because he couldn't finish easy shots inside.

The Zags looked totally unprepared for the type of Game that EWU gave them. Kudos to EWU and their coach for getting ready to give it 100% the entire game. They were ready. They Zags were not. There was no intensity from the Zags until the 2nd half of the second half. Most surprising is I did not see any leadership from anyone, and especially from Robert.

YOu can't tell me that Marquis played a good game, or is a leader. He missed way to many free throws in the first half, loafed after a loose ball then a diving EWU player got while he stood and watched (shocked Few didn't bench him). Marquis shot 2-11. Do you call that good? Do you call that leadership or being ready to play? And he had 5 turnover, and many of them were the kind of passes I'd expect to see from Freshmen.

Elias Harris was THE bright spot last night, and should have been getting the ball a whole lot more. He had that LOOK in his eyes last night. More of Elias and less of Robert, imo. Great game Elias. He's one guy who CAN jump. Harris was one of of two players that I thought played with intensity the whole time. And I sure felt he had more rebounds that Robert.

Pangos played a very good game for a Freshman, and he is going to be great. I think he should have shot more last night. He only had one turnover. He was 2-4 from the field and 6-6 from the free throw line. The kid can penetrate and draw fouls.

I do not like Sam Dower at the 4 and I never have. He has never played that well when he is in with Robert. They do not go well together, He should be playing as Robert's back up. Where was Spangler? I was so shocked that he didn't play. Is he in Few's doghouse already?

That was the worst coaching job I have ever seen by the Gonzaga coaching staff, and especially by Mark Few. This Zag team last night did not seem ready to play, and that is totally on the coach. Has Few been fishing a lot? Does he really believe that Mike Hart is a starter and can play 30 minutes? Defense? His man got 27. He looked slow, got knocked off of screens time after time, and was just too slow to guard a 3. He did do a great job on the boards (9 rebounds). But my God, the kid has NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO offense. Monninghoff definitely deserved a chance to show what he can do. A team who is only willing to play with all-out intensity the last 5 minutes of a game is not going very far, folks.

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
This was NOT the Zag team I thought I would see, based a lot on MDABE'S reporting this summer

That was your first mistake. . .

Pargo the Destroyer
11-12-2011, 08:57 AM
That was your first mistake. . .

Reno...Wait..... Are you saying we were not supposed to base our expectations on what the team did against themselves in ratball sessions and or against high school players? Oh man! Some people have and I think that might have been a not so good idea. WEIRD. :fingergun:

NEC26
11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Sacres' lack of progress is disappointing. I'm not saying he isn't valuable because he is but man after 5 years you would think his hands would improve and he would be able to finish a play or two. He loses the ball so easily and has absolutely no lift(Keep in mind he is a favorite player of mine).
Hart playing more than 10 15 minutes is a quandary to me also. I asked this in the game thread and I am still mystified why Monninghoff never even saw the floor. Couldn't we at least do a little offense defense switch?
The only thing I can imagine is that Few and the staff are trying to get something through to them and refuse to put them(Monninghoff/Spangler) out there till they do. Or there is some kind of discipline going on that they aren't talking about (possible with how tight lipped this staff is).
Its now quite apparent we will be needing Guy to step in and fill the three spot for us if Carter is not going to be playing there. At this point I question why KD was redshirted if Hart is truly all Few trusts.

sonuvazag
11-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Sacres' lack of progress is disappointing. I'm not saying he isn't valuable because he is but man after 5 years you would think his hands would improve and he would be able to finish a play or two. He loses the ball so easily and has absolutely no lift(Keep in mind he is a favorite player of mine).
Hart playing more than 10 15 minutes is a quandary to me also. I asked this in the game thread and I am still mystified why Monninghoff never even saw the floor. Couldn't we at least do a little offense defense switch?
The only thing I can imagine is that Few and the staff are trying to get something through to them and refuse to put them(Monninghoff/Spangler) out there till they do. Or there is some kind of discipline going on that they aren't talking about (possible with how tight lipped this staff is).
Its now quite apparent we will be needing Guy to step in and fill the three spot for us if Carter is not going to be playing there. At this point I question why KD was redshirted if Hart is truly all Few trusts.
These are many thoughts I share, especially the explanation that Few is trying to get through to the players on the bench in some manner.

Ezag
11-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I thought Carter played a good game. He had a hard time finishing but was relentless on the drives and drew many fouls.

Hart does play with Heart but unless he can score more, 30 min is too much of little offense. With him and Stockton out there at the same time, its 3 on 5.

Harris looked great and does need the ball more.

Sacre did look the same and he couldn't stop a number of drives by EWU right down the lane. I was told he developed a good mid range jumper. I saw him hesitate at least a 1/2 dozen times at that range. There was also a handful of times he was point blank and should have packed the ball, instead got fouled. Good thing he can shoot free throws. This is the best he's going to be on this team under Few.

Pangos played well. Once he settled in, he did great for his 1st game ever as a Zag. Gary Bell was lost but looked good at times- understandable for a freshman. At least he wasn't afraid to shoot or drive. Dower looked completely lost. Stocks, not good and gave his spot up to Pangos.

zagco
11-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Zagco expected it. Our opponents' penchant for having mind-boggling, record-breaking, cosmic nights from the three-point line against us has been going on for several years now. Over the years, Zagco has learned to manage the anxiety, but he still feels it.

HillBillyZag
11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
If you know anything about basketball at all?, which many of you do not, it was obvious that EWU played just as their coaches wanted them to, they UGLYED up the game and attempted to allow G.U. little chance to run much of their offense, and it damned near worked for them too. A WIN under these circumstances is to be applauded and appreciated. The tough and gutty Eagles proved an opponent worthy of our steel and deserving of our respect, plus it was a great learning experience for the Zags. Quit whining and enjoy a good win to open the season.

75Zag
11-12-2011, 09:30 AM
You are not allowed to use the term "UGLY" when referring to the performance of the GU basketball team. Would you visit the maternity ward and tell your sister that your newborn niece or nephew with the pug nose and protruding ears is ugly? No, you would say he or she is "unique" or "special" or "full of potential" or "just getting started". If you can lie to your sister, surely you can lie here.

I would call GU's performance last night unique and special. After all, they are full of potential, and just getting started.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

bostonzagfan
11-12-2011, 09:31 AM
reborn, we are on the same wavelength... EH best game, sacre and pangos decent, everyone else has to improve!

I go into more detail here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/937269-gonzagas-win-over-eastern-washington-by-the-numbers

spike_jr
11-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I can not question the rotation in last nights game. I do not agree with it, but the rotation did not bother me as much as the game preparation and in-game adjustments. The bottom line is that Few and Co. were severely outcoached. The inability to gaurd the three point line, once again, is totally inexcusable. EWU had no inside threat and there were only 2 guys that were going to shoot it. Credit to Eastern and their staff for being ready to play hard for 40 minutes.

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, that Few sure sucks. . .he clearly cost us the game. . .etc.

:fingergun:

spike_jr
11-12-2011, 09:51 AM
well they have not been able to guard the three point line for years and the only thing that is consistent over that much time is the coaching.... take it for what it is.....

cjm720
11-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Sooo many problems IMO w that game but it's probably all the kool aid more than anything else.

I expect 3 transfers before wcc play

zagray
11-12-2011, 09:56 AM
is GBell and Carter had 5 turnovers apiece! Hart started because Bell is just not ready yet and Hart played more minutes then even Few anticipated but Bell was not getting it done. Why no Hoff or Spangler is a head scratcher for me! Eastern's Hack a Shaq game plan was affective, it disrupted the Zags offensive flow and made the game look UGLY. I'll take the win, thats for sure, but my expectations have been tempered.

If some improvments are not seen and some loses result from it, I would not be surprised to see KO's TIE COME OFF!!!