PDA

View Full Version : tiny Bouldin mention by Mike DeCourcy

nonzagzag
07-04-2007, 08:31 AM
is he a point guard or another wing?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=232405

MBZags
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Matt doesn't have the shooting stroke yet to play wing. I think he'd be a much better option at PG.

applezag
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Do you have to be a great shooter to play the wing? Actually, GU has had as many great shooters at the point as they have had on the wing. Players can be effective wings/points in a variety of ways. It's definitely nice when they are great shooters, but that's not the only way.

As far as Bouldin't shot goes, without having any knowledge of his history or past training habits, he just strikes me as a guy who needs to lock himself in the gym and shoot forever. He has a nice shot, form-wise. He just needs to get reps to get consistent. He seems to me like a player who has played a ton of pick-up games in his life, but not spent a lot of time by himself just shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if that had been the case with Ammo as a younger player. It's actually a weakness in the American style of training basketball players these days. We have kids playing games upon games upon games, and spending little time working on shooting skills. When these guys realize what it takes to shoot consistently in college basketball, they put in the time and improve.

CDC84
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
As MD suggests, the way Bouldin is going to get major PT for the U19 team is through being its point guard. They really don't have a PG with D-1 college experience. It's a golden opportunity. I doubt that Wainwright would trust the team to Flynn. So if Matt wants PT, he's going to need to start canning shots at a frequency that at least defenses honest. This doesn't mean that he needs to score the same amount of points as the team's shooting guard and wing. But he needs to keep defenses honest. Otherwise Wainwright is going to do what Decourcy suggests.....play his best offensive guards who are not only sinking shots right now, but who have a proven track record at the D-1 level for being consistent scorers.

MickMick
07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
After the Pac-10 tourney championship game and now the U-19 game against China, I am starting to believe that Tajaun Porter is more than just a good player. He is starting to look like a bigtime star to me. Was reading similar comments on the Kansas board the other day. Just pass him the ball Matt.

applezag
07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a guy just flat out shoot it like Porter. He is incredible. You may be right, he might be a big-time player. He's just such a unique player that I think it's hard to figure out how much he can do and how high a level he will be able to play at. I agree, Bouldin will do well just to get the ball to Porter.