PDA

View Full Version : Board meltdown already?

JAGzag
11-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Holy crap, it's been one game - one game - and against EWU and this place is melting down already! So we didn't dominate by 30 and there were some interesting rotations. The sky is not falling, everybody step away from the ledge! We'll be fine.

DCZag
11-12-2011, 05:57 AM
All is right with the world - the sun came up this morning (in DC anyway) - no major injuries, we WON the game (Duke only beat Belmont by 1).

Yes I'm scratching my head about the rotation, our poor perimeter D, the way that EWU out hustled us (more blocks, steals and assists while committing less TOs). They did compenstae for their lack of athleticism by fouling a lot and we helped by missing early FTs - we made them at the end.

Jim Hayford coached teams are scrappy and bomb the 3, I guess none of you have ever seen Whitworth play like I have. I expected us to win by 25 - oh well. I tip my hat to EWU, chalk one up in the "W" column and prepare for WAZZU on national TV Mon night.

Take a deap breath, back away from the ledge, quit running with scissors....the ride begins!!!

dazags
11-12-2011, 06:09 AM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :rolleyes:

ZagMan in Philly
11-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Not a concern..just curious...

jazzdelmar
11-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Not a concern..just curious...

Phil, one more thing. Its becoming less and less frequent that the Zags have the best player on the court n games. Think about it.

bartruff1
11-12-2011, 06:44 AM
He is the only person who gets the wins and losses on his record. He is the only one that is held responsible by the administration. His is the only job that is dependent on the outcome of the games. It is his way or the highway, if the players don't think it is in their interest to play here, they should leave. For a guy who can't recruit, who can't teach, who can't motivate, who is a terrible game coach, he is doing ok... I think he is going to be here for some time, so get used to it...

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Where did I put the pitchfork & torch, honey ?

MickMick
11-12-2011, 07:04 AM
The game was difficult to watch because I couldn't gauge GU's offensive flow due to the defense EWU was playing. If you want to call that defense.

They hung on our players at every opportunity and were called for foul, after foul, after foul. I saw many more fouls that were not called. They were playing rugby, not basketball.

Really, the only thing I can be critical of on the offensive end is that GU should have made them pay more dearly at the free throw line. Especially in the first half.

I have to see GU play against a team that isn't willing to go into the double bonus early as a team strategy to get a better feel.

Watching a game being played almost entirely from the free throw line isn't a true indicator nor is it particularly fun to watch.

GU defense:

As usual, we saw another opponent launch prayers and have them answered.

Some shots were uncontested, but some were rather amazing. Contested, off balance shots, near the end of the shot clock. EWU is a jump shooting team that had a hot night. They have little structure on offense (except for perimeter swing passes) and virtually no inside game. They just chucked them up and hoped for the best. Their offensive "philosophy" came to roost down the stretch when it really mattered most.

We saw the best that EWU had to offer. They put in a heck of an effort. I think GU wins that match up 9 out of 10 times and would typically win by much more.

GBJ looks very raw.

JPtheBeasta
11-12-2011, 07:10 AM
The bright side:
-We won
-Few seems committed to having a more traditionally-sized player at the 3 this year (Hart's inexplicable minutes and his comments about needing Landry eligible).
-Pangos was a seemless substitution in the backcourt and did well down the stretch
-GBJ appears to be very talented
-Sacre appears to be more nimble and is still very strong
-Harris is back
-Carter was a steady presence in this game and we would be talking about a superb game for Carter if he hits a few more of those runners in the first half
-KO looks good in a shirt and tie :] (Wondering at this point if the conversation with Few went something like, "Kelly, two walk-ons are going to get a sh!t ton of minutes this year and there just won't be much PT to go around..."

We knew down low would be our strength this year, and it still is. The greatest unknown to me, the PG spot, looks to be in good shape. The 3 spot is the one that has me scratching my head the most at this point. The absence of Hoff, as many have mentioned already, has me confused. Carter was our only consistant back court scorer, but he isn't proficient at PG. So we have to have Pangos or Stocks in. If Hart eats all the minutes at the 3, this leaves very few minutes for Bell, which I am personally not a fan of.

titopoet
11-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Holy crap, it's been one game - one game - and against EWU and this place is melting down already! So we didn't dominate by 30 and there were some interesting rotations. The sky is not falling, everybody step away from the ledge! We'll be fine.

Amen, preach it, brother.
EWU is a good gritty team dominated by upperclassmen and our young guards are going to learn. Ask UCLA about this time of the year against teams like LMU and EWU (upperclass dominated team

cjm720
11-12-2011, 07:41 AM
If all games go like that it is going to be a looooong season.

bigblahla
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Just re-watched the game in it's entirety and it was even more enjoyable.

What a great game perfect to view tape and teach from.

EWU is a scrappy athletic team who played their game we are a bigger more physical team and we played our game.

They shot the 3 and we lived in the paint and we beat our bane by living in the paint and hitting free throws.

Stocks did what he was supposed to. Absolutely no problem with Hart. I was surprised by the absence of Spangler but EWU is athletic and quick and unless there is a health or injury situation I think his absence was a matchchup issue.

What a great game to get ready for WSU.

For all those that think this should have been a blowout, me included, EWU is a well coached team with skill that plays hard. Second viewing of the game confirms they will challenge for their conference title.

Big Rob and Elias will carry this team, Carter had a tough night hung in there and proved his mettle once more.

Coach and staff had a chance to see multiple rotations some obviously worked better than others.

What the second viewing showed is both teams stuck to their game plan and we wore them down.

EWU was in the game and as a team we needed this experience this was a good first game for us..

Congrats to both teams.

Damn I feel good, bring on the Pullman kitties.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Amen, preach it, brother.
EWU is a good gritty team dominated by upperclassmen and our young guards are going to learn. Ask UCLA about this time of the year against teams like LMU and EWU (upperclass dominated team

+1

Our guards are only going to get better and Carter shouldn't have too many more poor shooting games as he did last evening. Seems his bio-rhythms were off just a bit...

Our weakness is at the three only because Hart just isn't the worlds best scoring SF BUT he rebounds better than any player at that position in recent memory! Manny had that type of skill but he doesn't play for us anymore!

I have read comments about EH "being back" to his freshman form, well I think he was energized but maybe it was the EWU defense that held him in check as I didn't see any slashing moves to the basket. I'm hoping that aspect of his game returns against Wazzo.

IMO GU will only play as well as its guards do and it appears as though Coach Few has already indicated Pangos will be the starting PG as he was on the court during crunch time at the end of the game...just MHO.

Zag4Hire
11-12-2011, 08:21 AM

I had the roadie against the Illini as the board meltdown game. Not necessarily predicting a loss but the usual board hyperbole of Few must go, this team won't go deep in March, and blaming PG Du Jour (insert Pargo/Meech) for the offensive letdown.

Baldwinzag
11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Why is the board so upset?

We won.

We're lucky to be 1-0.

Celebrate.

The only people whom have the right to be upset and / or have a meltdown are as follows:

-- Mathis Monninghoff

-- Ryan Spangler

-- Sam Dower

-- Mathis Keita

They should be p!ssed.

As for the rest of you; accept your victory as a Zag fan and move on. ;)

75Zag
11-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I watched the UNC v. Michigan State game as a warm up to the GU game. Both UNC and Mich State showed some jitters and you could tell it was the first significant game of the season for both teams, but the raw talent and excellent coaching showed through the player mistakes and player inexperience.

I'm not quite sure what I saw in watching the GU v. Eastern game. I get it that it is early in the year and time for coaches to experiment with players and lineups. But after watching the GU game it is hard to believe that Few learned much about his players. I certainly didn't.

WSU was picked as the 10th best team in the Pac 12 by the sportswriters. It will be interesting to see how GU plays against the bottom of that league. Hopefully a heck of a lot better than against Eastern.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Bogozags
11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
The only people whom have the right to be upset and / or have a meltdown are as follows:

-- Mathis Monninghoff

-- Ryan Spangler

-- Sam Dower

-- Mathis Keita

They should be p!ssed.

As for the rest of you; accept your victory as a Zag fan and move on. ;)

Baldwinzag am sure hoping you are wrong and that these four players are not "pissed" for not getting playing time! That could well indicate dissension on the bench and locker room.

We are not privy to the thought processes of the staff regarding playing time and because of this we speculate on reasons why certain players are not getting more playing time and this is frustrating for all of us...

Johnnygu
11-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Plus one absolutely.

If players/coaches were to read this board, they would just have to laugh and shake their heads haha.

GU69
11-12-2011, 11:20 AM
The game was difficult to watch because I couldn't gauge GU's offensive flow due to the defense EWU was playing. If you want to call that defense.

They hung on our players at every opportunity and were called for foul, after foul, after foul. I saw many more fouls that were not called. They were playing rugby, not basketball.

Really, the only thing I can be critical of on the offensive end is that GU should have made them pay more dearly at the free throw line. Especially in the first half.

I have to see GU play against a team that isn't willing to go into the double bonus early as a team strategy to get a better feel.

Watching a game being played almost entirely from the free throw line isn't a true indicator nor is it particularly fun to watch.

I think that this is a pretty good explanation of the game. It was pretty ugly, but I don't think that it was that much of an indicator of what this year's Zags are.

fedwayzag
11-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Most of the players will get their chances. I am not sure how any player can be pissed we won the game. When the players mentioned get their chance they will need to be ready. If they play well they will get more minutes. Minutes are earned not "just given" to players.

Kiddwell
11-12-2011, 11:59 AM
It's not necessarily a "meltdown" to ask (graciously, patiently, kindly), "Coach Few, with all due respect, Sir, um, WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU PLAY THE HOFFMEISTER AND THE 'STAR-SPANGLED' SPANGLER??!!...ahem, that is, well, um, some of us fan-mansters would just sorta like to know..." :D

:]

The509sfinest
11-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Everyone really should calm down, because the way Eastern was playing last night, 80-85% of the teams in the nation would have lost, maybe more than 85 imho

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Even Charlie Sheen thinks this board has lost its grip.

Terrifteacher
11-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Everyone really should calm down, because the way Eastern was playing last night, 80-85% of the teams in the nation would have lost, maybe more than 85 imho

EWU was the team with more experience on the court. While I don't like the foul foul foul approach, that has been their "thing" when they have played us the last several year. I guess they feel it gives them a shot. Wasted timeouts and guys fouling out worked against them in the long run, but they might be better than we thought prior to this game.

ZagsGoZags
11-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Hats off to Marquise Carter for realizing the key to game as 4th qtr began was challenging EWU in foul troubles. He drove in, angled in, rebounded in, and generally got beat up real good drawing those fouls. Nobody else was close in realizing what we needed to do against EWU's tactic.

primal23
11-12-2011, 08:38 PM

This is such a weak and false arguement, those teams wouldn't allow ewu to have the chances they did, smc will torch these guys by 20-30 points. Funny how it's always that teams that light up GU the next day are proclaimed to be the next NC. Few got out coached, GU didn't bother to start guarding the 3, which after how many years and blow out loses Few doesn't seem to change. But then again I'm sure I'm just a whiner and a band wagon fan since I wasn't wearing rose tinted glasses last night.

cggonzaga
11-12-2011, 08:53 PM
This is such a weak and false arguement, those teams wouldn't allow ewu to have the chances they did, smc will torch these guys by 20-30 points. Funny how it's always that teams that light up GU the next day are proclaimed to be the next NC. Few got out coached, GU didn't bother to start guarding the 3, which after how many years and blow out loses Few doesn't seem to change. But then again I'm sure I'm just a whiner and a band wagon fan since I wasn't wearing rose tinted glasses last night.

My favorite is that Eastern will win their league. No they won't. They will be better than last year though.