PDA

View Full Version : 25%

jazzdelmar
11-12-2011, 05:29 AM
One fourth of last nights minutes went to non shooting walk ons. All the recruiting stars in the world mean nothing without confidence being instilled and allowing mistakes to be made. Maybe it was a one off, but if this is the game plan expect transfers, many and by multi star kids, at some point.

ZagMan in Philly
11-12-2011, 05:38 AM
One fourth of last nights minutes went to non shooting walk ons. All the recruiting stars in the world mean nothing without confidence being instilled and allowing mistakes to be made. Maybe it was a one off, but if this is the game plan expect transfers, many and by multi star kids, at some point.

Say it ain't so Jazz...where was the prized recruit Spangler??? It wasn't like we were playing the Dukies last night. I am puzzled.

Malastein
11-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Say it ain't so Jazz...where was the prized recruit Spangler??? It wasn't like we were playing the Dukies last night. I am puzzled.

Perhaps Few is keeping them in reserve for when they face real tough competition?

TacomaZAG
11-12-2011, 06:36 AM
and last night was the perfect time. Pangos, Bell (especially), and Spangler all need to play, a lot. Sure, there are going to be times where they play like Frosh (because they are), but the preseason is the time for them to grow and learn from their mistakes. We are going nowhere with Hart and Stocks on the floor together, and MC can't get untracked when he is on the perimeter with two guys who can't score.

Both Pangos and Bell need to start, to get some confidence if nothing else. Starting them shows them they are valued and the staff believes in them, and we'll just have to live through the growing pains, knowing where the growing maturity will lead.

Please, Please, Please don't turn GBJ into another PMAC or Larry G. Leave him out there and let him grow. He wasn't a Top 50 recruit in the nation for nothing.

Go ZAGS

JPtheBeasta
11-12-2011, 06:54 AM
My guesses are that Few didn't want to show WSU too much, wanted to experiment with some unorthodox lineups, and he thought this game would be a wider spread, thereby letting him play his young guys more. EWU's run at the end of the first half (and all of the turnovers) put an end to that. Sacre and Harris played a lot more minutes than I thought they would need to.

I was really hoping for a longer leash on GBJ to get his confidence up. I remember Carter saying that he was worried that he would be pulled with any mistake- and it took him half the year to feel comfortable. GBJ needs to get it going sooner than later, and he obviously isn't comfortable out there yet.

bigblahla
11-12-2011, 08:02 AM

How about "one fourth of last nights minutes went to non shooting walk ons who performed well did what was asked of them and helped us secure A WIN!!!

Ahhhhh the immediate need for gratification at the expense of ascension.

No one is going to transfer out on this game Jazz and you really aren't giving EWU credit where credit is due.

We played OUR GAME and beat the three ball. Last year we would most likely have lost this game.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

webspinnre
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
How about "one fourth of last nights minutes went to non shooting walk ons who performed well did what was asked of them and helped us secure A WIN!!!

A total of 4 points in 48 minutes is performing well?

sonuvazag
11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
The blame has to be on the scholarship players who weren't on the floor, too. They need to give up their sense of entitlement and earn it. Few was quoted saying he trusts Hart. If you are a scholarship player and not on the court last night, do whatever Hart does in practice. Earn that trust. Don't let a walk-on get your minutes.

Zag4Hire
11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
My guesses are that Few didn't want to show WSU too much, wanted to experiment with some unorthodox lineups, and he thought this game would be a wider spread, thereby letting him play his young guys more.

That was my thinking exactly.

Baseline
11-12-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure I buy the "Few was trying to not show WSU much". If that was the case though, he sure accomplished his goal. Last years team started much stronger.
I though we were supposed to have strong outside shooting this year. It looked like the same old Zags to me. No Hoff and Spangler was very bothersome to me.
I love Hard and his hustle, but I would not red shirted Drag and started him, just because of the shooting.
Bell isn't ready to play. Next game I would have Stockton, Pangos and Carter start as the 1, 2 & 3.

john montana
11-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Count me in the "if mike heart plays 29 minutes a night we have a problem" camp. That kid is a fantastic role player and should be in the game in spot defensive stand situations...but 29 minutes?

As for Stockton...love him. Last year I was a huge fan and I continue to be a huge fan but pangos is better. Right now, I think KP is only marginally better, but by the end of the season I expect he will be markedly better. KP got minutes last night though.

Dower and Bell need to play. Period. Shuffle things around any way you want to but dower and bell need to play. We need these guys to see major minutes.

Sacre
Harris
Carter
Dower
Pangos
Bell

Add in stocks, Spangler, and either hart or MM.

I just didn't understand last night at all.

bigblahla
11-12-2011, 08:16 AM
A total of 4 points in 48 minutes is performing well?

They weren't ask to score. There is only one ball and we had more qualified shooters and a game plan to go inside.

Stocks was on to facilitate and be disruptive on "D".

Hart was there to be Hart, disruptive, hustle and board.

It's a team game where someone has to be a roll player.

Saw the game twice. It was lot easier to watch and get into the nuances when your not on the edge of your seat and already know the outcome.

Also for those that think we will have a problem with this going forward the only we you speak of is you and the guy or gal you see in the mirror each morning. Collectively it sounds like there's a whole lot of you that feel that way this morning which is a shame after a hard fought victory in our first game of the year. The team knows who has earned the right to be on the floor. The Coaches and team are the ones who study tape and scouting reports and have a handle on the match-ups.

Stand by what I said.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag4Hire
11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Does the lineup including Dower, Harris, and Sacre not work? Does this leave GU to weak at the #3 defensively? I really like it and I think it presents a lot of matchup issues for the other squad hypothetically and makes rebounding paramount.

Zag4Hire
11-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Kicking the tires on a few cars on the lot and see what you really have in a game atmosphere? I can see this as the exception and not the norm. However, if this gameplan continues against WSU, I am at a loss for words.

Baldwinzag
11-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Perhaps Few is keeping them in reserve for when they face real tough competition?

Since ya'll are getting to share a disappointment, I'll get the only one off my chest:

This team has "weapons". No doubt about it. Weapons that work.

Where did they go?

Rundown:

Weapon #1: An elite 6'7" sharp-shooter (Monninghoff).

Weapon #2: An elite 6'8", 235lb rebounding monster (Spangler).

Weapon #3: An elite 6'5" athletic, long on-ball defender w/a solid shot (Keita).

When you have weapons that are more than proven, effective, & can help you win vs great teams, why not use them, especially vs lessor teams?

This made zero sense, in my humble opinion.

CDC84
11-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Again, what I couldn't understand about Hart being on the floor so much was that he was getting slaughtered defensively. That's supposed to be his strength, but it wasn't on display last night.

sonuvazag
11-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Again, what I couldn't understand about Hart being on the floor so much was that he was getting slaughtered defensively. That's supposed to be his strength, but it wasn't on display last night.
Agreed. He even fouled a three point shooter which is a big no-no.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
My guesses are that Few didn't want to show WSU too much, wanted to experiment with some unorthodox lineups, and he thought this game would be a wider spread, thereby letting him play his young guys more.

Then he shouldn't be a D1 coach. This game counted and should have been treated like it.

ZagsGoZags
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
IMHO

Hoff and Keita are not elite weapons
they are barely weapons at all,
esp Hoff who does basketball weakly except for one thing, like Kong,
shoot 3's ONLY when he is open
he can't create his shot or pass inside for a darn

I do agree Spangler is a weapon
Kyle D. would have been also

EngineerZag
11-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Few's in-game decision making has grown more and more puzzling to me, and to a lot of other people as well. I know it's easy to be an armchair coach but really I am truly confused.

madness
11-12-2011, 08:18 PM

This is exactly my point, Dickau and Fox commented on it as well. He was borderline inept on D all night.

cggonzaga
11-12-2011, 08:25 PM
This is exactly my point, Dickau and Fox commented on it as well. He was borderline inept on D all night.

We must have been listening to different games. I heard nothing but raves about Hart last night from those two. It was borderline over the top like they had to convince the viewers Hart was in there for a reason.