PDA

View Full Version : Is this real life? (Long Post)

Therunner
11-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Never have I ever felt upset following a Zags' victory.

Well, maybe "upset" isn't the right word, rather "short-changed".

Yes, I feel our team was short-changed last night:

Is Mike Hart really more talented or well-rounded than either Mathis'? Couldn't we have used a 6'7" sharp-shooting perimeter player last night, even for 5 mins?

Was it necessary to play Pangos and Stockton together so often? Um, defense? Maybe some of those minutes could have gone to Gary Bell to gain experience and shake off nerves?

If we're going to play, even start, Hart so many mins b/c of defensive or rebounding woes, then where is the actual defense? Doesn't a recruited player such as Keita provide similar attributes, yet with better offense? Wasn't Mike Hart the perfect "role" player? Don't we need his defensive abilities in key moments rather than 30 mins of zero offense? A taller, stronger version of Meech? How many transition lay-ups and wide-open shots must he miss before things change?

Is Spangler not ready or good enough to play or log even a minute of PT vs a smaller Eastern Wash team?

Is Coach Few managing his talent appropriately or effectively? Any thoughts on our Head Coach pulling numerous players last night after making a shot or the right play, especially when they were few & far between? I recall four instances of said player making a big shot, only to have Mark pull them shortly thereafter. Gary Bell, Elias, Pangos, etc.

Just as many have already eluded to, our starting-5 have been a rather unimpressive unit since our first look during the 'Kraziness in the Kennel' scrimmage.

Our starting backcourt of Stockton, Marquise, & Hart lack any player capable of "pushing it", or establishing tempo and / or tone for the game. Of course Carter is solid, but his pace/game isn't suited for being thee PG(Richard Fox mentioned this during broadcast as well).

In every single opportunity thus far, our so-called 'starters' have been unable to pull away or even gain a lead vs their own back-ups, a NAIA team, and now EWU. In all cases, it wasn't until a Pangos, Dower, Spangler, or another sub came in to provide a spark and 'get things going' on offense.

I am frustrated as I'm unable to soundly answer the questions above or offer any explanation for Coach Few's game management of killing momentum, inexplicable lineups, zero mins for certain(proven) players, & highly questionable minute distribution.

It was ugly, folks. Eastern played a part in this, no doubt, but can anyone say they weren't scratching their heads or asking themselves similar questions??

I was pleased with the effort and hustle, yet was anyone comfortable with decisions this game, especially when so many were senseless?

I hope this isn't the way its going to be this season, as Coach Few said during post-game comments:

"Our entire schedule is going to be like this," Few said. "We cannot get caught up in the hype and the rankings." Few said.

"Hopefully we can step up in the last 5 minutes and win some games," Few said.

As long as our Coach continues to favor liabilities over assets, then the writing is on the wall, imho.

bartruff1
11-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Has anyone seen Few's birth certificate ? I have a birth certificate, where is his ? Did he actually go to school at Oregon , how come no one remembers him ? Why doesn't the press ask these questions ? A coincidence, I think not.

ZagMan in Philly
11-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Other than a rather strange rotation of players played last night, i was ok with the way we played our first game of the season. Coach Few gets pay big bucks to coach, so I hope he is smarter than most of us posters here. Nevertheless, we have the rights to rant as fans. I wish to have seen Keita, Hoff and Spangler last night for at least a few minutes. Hope to see them play against WSU.

Go Zags!!

ldszagfan
11-12-2011, 05:53 AM
I was quite mystified with the rotation myself, but last year Few did a few different starting rotations throughout the whole year. I wonder if he wanted to give these guys a real chance to see what they can do together as a group. Maybe will see something similar with some different guys thrown in on Monday? Idk, but I also hope we don't see Hart in the starting rotation against WSU... or ever again.

ExtremeJim
11-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Never...imho.

You would have seen exactly all the same things in the substitution patterns if some viral illness were working its way through the team, and the coach didn't care to give Ken Bone any more information to work with than was absolutely necessary.

spike_jr
11-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Well one thing he showed Ken Bone is that GU has absolutely no ability to defend the three point line.

Rbo
11-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Well one thing he showed Ken Bone is that GU has absolutely no ability to defend the three point line.

Yikes. Even without Clay, WSU has some outside firepower.

sittingon50
11-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Of the THOUSANDS posted since yesterday afternoon, yours was #1.

:lmao:

Birddog
11-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Of the THOUSANDS posted since yesterday afternoon, yours was #1.

Gotta agree with that one!

On the game thread last night, the OP displayed an amazing ability to type, then again, typing the same thing over and over again may not be that difficult.

primal23
11-12-2011, 12:34 PM

If I were Ken Bone, I would tell all the players, just shoot 3pt shots, GU wont/cant guard them.

ZagHouse
11-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm fine with a team hucking up 3's--but I don't like how our bigs rotate out to pick up a guard, or how easily opposing guards can dribble penetrate and then kick out, or how defensively we seem confused about our responsibilities and then can't pick up the open man, or how we passively fight through screens.

bigblueandzags
11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
last night showed signs of the byu game from the dance last year where we would collapse on the guard driving into the paint, then he would kick it out and leave 2-3 wide open shooters.

i threw my socks several times at the wall.

asoc
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Man, all the whiners coming out of the woodwork are actually making these forums not very fun to read:-/ And all this after a WIN...

I don't recall it ever being this bad, even after some losses?

jim77
11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
My take on things...I'm kinda surprised at the level of negativity here since we did post a "W". Yeah, it didn't go as I thought either...never does. To the game....

Positives: When was the last time you've seen a D1 team foul out 5 players? How many did we foul out? ZERO...and none were even close. That says alot about our physical presence/depth...and I thought Eastern had pretty good athletes and played darn hard. Eastern is better than advertised..kudos to them and their coaches..GREAT EFFORT. I liked GBJ's agressiveness...at times he reminded of Pargo. He'll get better. Once MC figured his shot and our guards weren't on he got aggressive to the hole which was the right thing considering the circumstances. I thought "E" brought good energy...it was a good start for him. When you consider that we gave up 13 3's shot a low FG% and a low 3% and weren't terriffic from the line..we were fortunate to have the game end with a "W".

Negatives/observations: I was hoping to see Spangler but, I trust the coach has his reasons. The guards have a ways to go to iron out the execution on offense....this may stay ugly for awhile but, in the mean time FEW has to play these guys to get them experience....get used to it. I also didn't see our guys panic when they got behind in the 2nd half...in fact we dominated every square inch of the court from 15 feet in....the area beyond 3...not so good. Folks, when a teams offense has been regulated to bombing 3's to win, it says alot about our inside presence...we simply outsized them.

Thoughts: Coming in coach FEW was gonna use this game as a good training for his guards....Eastern didn't cooperate. It forced him to do things to preserve the win. I would not look for a total transformation by Monday but, I thing it was a GOOD learning experience for all involved..us fans too.....GO ZAGS...BEAT WSU!

bballbeachbum
11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Has anyone seen Few's birth certificate ? I have a birth certificate, where is his ? Did he actually go to school at Oregon , how come no one remembers him ? Why doesn't the press ask these questions ? A coincidence, I think not.

:lmao:

on the rest, interesting it was to see Hart play that many minutes, tho I thought he added plenty most of the time when he was on the floor, not all of the time of course...no one did that nor does that.

he's not a scorer but he did add other aspects of the game to the team pretty well I thought last night.

why did these minutes go like this? I don't know. I know Hart got after it hard, as hard as possible, and kept defending relentlessly hard even after some crazy bombs went in over him after EWU players had got loose from the genie bottle when others were guarding them

Zag79
11-15-2011, 01:49 AM
why did these minutes go like this? I don't know. I know Hart got after it hard, as hard as possible, and kept defending relentlessly hard even after some crazy bombs went in over him after EWU players had got loose from the genie bottle when others were guarding them

He led the team with 9 rebounds, and played serious defense. Both times he sat is when ewu made big runs... Coincidence? No. My concern is why David played so much and only managed 2 assists. A few games will show us who should play what, and why. Tonight against the cougs we saw who should be playing, and why. Loved the starting line up, going to be a good season.

Areyoukiddingme
11-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I just remembered my password for this site!! 20 hours of basketball on my Friday while drinking a Abyss.