PDA

View Full Version : Maybe exactly what we needed?

DixieZag
11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Anyone else think that after all the dust settles this was probably exactly what this team needed. They needed to see that good effort can overcome a lot of talent and a lot of size. A lot of young guys got to see just the kind of effort it takes at the D-1 level - I suspect that the practices will be a little bit harder.

It definitely shows what this team has to work on - they have no offensive flow, Dower wasn't given enough looks - he is just too big a man, too good a scorer to not have him a bigger part of the game. I wonder where our good three point shooters were?

Therunner
11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Mike Hart was given 30 mins.

Sam Dower was given 15 mins.

Go get 'em Coach Few! Top-25 teams are shivering in their boots with that scoreless starting-5!

ZagLawGrad
11-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Some good lessons fom this game. I wonder about the strength of personnel with GBJ looking to be an early project to get up to projections.

kitzbuel
11-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank goodness the Zags weren't playing Belmont tonight. They might have lost.

GrizZAG
11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
LMU made a mark for the WCC tonight. Great game. They are fast and control the ball well.

Zags need to take the three when open. EWU certainly got open a LOT! Ouch

Bombs over Zaghdad
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I think you are right. But the "we" is us on this board who hype the crap out of anything zaga! I will be the first to say that I drank the juice on Pangos, Bell, stockton, carter, ..... And I still will, but now I have some perspective. I think we will be good eventually, but the speculation gets so out of hand based on practices and former high school performances that we forget reality. We forget that other teams have talent and good coaching too.

So yes, this is just what we, the guboards posters/readers, needed. Perspective.

It will be a fun year to watch this team and young players mature like they always do. But let's give them time, not just hype.

btzag
11-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone else think that after all the dust settles this was probably exactly what this team needed. They needed to see that good effort can overcome a lot of talent and a lot of size. A lot of young guys got to see just the kind of effort it takes at the D-1 level - I suspect that the practices will be a little bit harder.

It definitely shows what this team has to work on - they have no offensive flow, Dower wasn't given enough looks - he is just too big a man, too good a scorer to not have him a bigger part of the game. I wonder where our good three point shooters were?

Well one option would be to play Harris at the 3 and Dower at the 4 but after watching Carter try to distribute the ball tonight and the struggles of Stocks I don't think they can do that.

The other option is to develop Bell and Pangos so that Hart is more of a role player at the 3 and I think Few will try that. Dower will probably average around 20 min a game and the Zags will have incredible depth in the frontcourt. You can see why KO is redshirting...no minutes available this year.

Personally, while the freshman guards struggled and Stockton also, the biggest surprise was Carter's subpar overall play. 5 TO's is inexcusable from a senior guard/wing against EWU and he has to step up. I think he will and same with Pangos and Bell.

SWZag
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I think this is good for GU. It's exactly the type of game I was hoping for. There are a lot of things our young guys have to learn and you learn them faster in a game like this than in a blow out, in my opinion. This team will come around. WAZZU will be another good tests and I expect growth each night out.

Good win. If Eastern plays like this season like they did tonight, even with foul trouble, they'll be dancing in March.

SWZag

zag944
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Teams on our schedule are going to be better equipped to contain our big men. Hopefully by then our shooters have been given a chance to get a rhythm to keep them honest.

Bulldog
11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Mike Hart was given 30 mins.

Sam Dower was given 15 mins.

Go get 'em Coach Few! Top-25 teams are shivering in their boots with that scoreless starting-5!

No ####. What the hell was that all about?

ZagMan in Philly
11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Where was Hoff? We could use him for at least 10mins in the game.

RenoZag
11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
the biggest surprise was Carter's subpar overall play.

17 pts, 5 Reb, 4 Asst, 5 Steals, 5 TO

:confused:

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
But this is not what we needed in more ways. IMO, It was more of a confidence killer than a confidence booster.

It really only tells me 2 things. EWU is better than what I expected, and Gonzaga is not better than I expected. But overall we were better than last year to start the season and we needed to show chemistry and unity. We did that and I think all the guys worked very well together. I think we showed some of the same bad habits (hesitation and passivity) but better to start this year in overall fewer mistakes and blown coverages.

We needed to blow them out though. Or at least be more in control the entire game.

Some freshman mistakes and some senior bad habits are going to have to end in order for us to win the next 5-6 games.

MDABE80
11-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I thought Pangos did fine. Quietly accumulated 11 pts 6-6 at the line and 2-4 in Fg's. Not much in assists but there weren't man across the board.
Maturity looked good. Not hurried, no panic. Lots of touches but the bigs held sway.

Those guys need work. Elias was just ok. Rob got his double double. Made some mistakes and looked like he did last year except he isn't lowering the ball where people can get it. Didn't look as dominant as Summer though. Fought hard for the ball.

Thank Gawd for free throws though. Just not good FG shooting. First game jitters and clumbsiness. Surprised Spangler and MM didn't get minutes..well..pretty disappointed too.

EWU looked much better than they have in years. Might be one of the reasons GU didn't stand out. I'd give this team tonight a B minus for their first game against a much improved opponent with a very thoughtful coach.

gamagin
11-11-2011, 10:05 PM

I think those crafty EWU coaches, including Ehlo, decided to try and be more physical than we were and force us to beat them at the line.

It cost them five guys fouling out or it might have worked. They burned a lot of fouls in the first half -- many of them going into intermission with three. Hats off to the Eagles. They worked their tails off. Great coaching against us, too.

Our guys, led by Rob and MC, killed them on the boards & at the line while EH and Rob and SD, too, at times, battered bodies underneath. F.T.'s were about the only thing they gave us uncontested most of the second half.

Pangos made key, clutch, points and f.t.'s in his important role, too. EH took charge at key moments and, as far as I'm concerned, showed the best leadership and take charge attitude of the night.

Hart got, i think, 10 or so important boards, most of them in the second half.

Monday night it's the Cougars. I think we're in for a barn burner. And we're going to need EH and RS & MC to again dominate their spaces and lead the charge, if we're going to win it.

U Zig, I Zag
11-11-2011, 10:07 PM
17 pts, 5 Reb, 4 Asst, 5 Steals, 5 TO

:confused:

Yup. Carter balled. Sacre and E did his thing. No surprise, the upperclassmen getting it done.

U Zig, I Zag
11-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I thought Pangos did fine. Quietly accumulated 11 pts 6-6 at the line and 2-4 in Fg's. Not much in assists but there weren't man across the board.
Maturity looked good. Not hurried, no panic. Lots of touches but the bigs held sway.

Those guys need work. Elias was just ok. Rob got his double double. Made some mistakes and looked like he did last year except he isn't lowering the ball where people can get it. Didn't look as dominant as Summer though. Fought hard for the ball.

Thank Gawd for free throws though. Just not good FG shooting. First game jitters and clumbsiness. Surprised Spangler and MM didn't get minutes..well..pretty disappointed too.

EWU looked much better than they have in years. Might be one of the reasons GU didn't stand out. I'd give this team tonight a B minus for their first game against a much improved opponent with a very thoughtful coach.

Pangos, minus a few missteps had spectacular handling skills. Zero rattling.

VinnyZag
11-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Marquise Carter (2-11 FGs) has played a lot better, against far superior teams. I think he'll bounce back.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember him tweeting about being sick earlier this week. That might've had something to do with it.

Therunner
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
This back-court desperately needs a scoring punch -- maybe Hoff could help?

This back-court desperately needs a steady presence to establish tempo & identity -- maybe Dranginis could help? Or just Pangos starting the game? Or Gary Bell settles way down?

xjzico
11-11-2011, 10:38 PM
The lessons are the same ones from years prior. Absolutely nothing has changed except our personnel at the guard positions got younger.

2wiceright
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I know I'll get killed by saying this as I was a big Meech fan-- but with all the pros Mike Hart adds to the team in hustle and defense doesn't he create the same 4 on 5 problem on offense? I would much prefer him as a spot player with a more balanced player getting his 20+ minutes (i.e. Laundry or Hoff- I know Laundry won't be eligible for another month or so)....Maybe use him against the few 'Jimmers' we play against. He by all accounts can score like crazy in practice but is timid to take an open shot and often misses bunnies in games (which drives me nuts!!!).

Also, strange to me to see possibly our best scorer (per minute) with very few minutes (Dower)? I hope he hasn't fallen out of favor with Coach Few.

One minor bright spot was Pangos playing like he's not a freshman. Eastern got in his face and tried to rattle him but he played smooth and quietly scored in double figures and handled the ball well, making 6-6 free throws down the stretch (only 1 turnover too :) )

Kiddwell
11-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Two hopes about this game:

(1) EWU wins its conference, has a monster regular season, easily makes the NCAAs

(2) Coach Few, by not playing Hoff and Spangler, is sandbagging WSU.

:[

<sandbagging = not tipping GU's hand against Monday's tougher, better opponent>

Worthington
11-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I miss Landry, and he hasn't even played a game. Few needs to experiment with Hoff out there, same with Spangler IMO.

xjzico
11-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I miss Landry, and he hasn't even played a game. Few needs to experiment with Hoff out there, same with Spangler IMO.
Hoff is done as a significant contributor to the team. If Landry is the guy for that spot, and Hart played in Landry's place, how in the world is Hoff going to see significant time?

GUnawinit
11-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Coach Hayford has a very good team...and

GU just beat a very talented team...

We all see, when EWU ends up in the tournament..

xjzico
11-12-2011, 12:52 AM
C'mon EWU is a mediocre Big Sky team.