PDA

View Full Version : - - - GUnit of the Game - - - (EWU)

gozagswoohoo
11-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow....ummm, that wasn't what I was expecting. There were a few bright spots....but not many.

We got the dub. That's the important thing.

EWU deserves some props. They came in and played their butts off.

ZagLawGrad
11-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Rob, no debate

DixieZag
11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I can debate it some, I think Carter led by example, he was rebounding HARD when the game came down to the last 5 minutes.

Worthington
11-11-2011, 09:20 PM
The only thing I enjoyed about this game was seeing Elias shake the backboard a couple times so I'll give it to him.

awberke
11-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I can debate it some, I think Carter led by example, he was rebounding HARD when the game came down to the last 5 minutes.

Quise went 2-11 and had 5 turnovers. I'll credit him with making his free throws *at the end.*

I thought E had a great game. He played with good intensity.

I also thought Pangos played well, he didn't make mistakes, he just didn't have the opportunity to score a lot.

I don't care what anyone says, Mike Hart should play 8-10 minutes a game. Not 29.

And does Sacre know how to jump, i'm dead serious. That game was agonizing.

hooter73
11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
And does Sacre know how to jump, i'm dead serious.

the password is: anchor.

Reborn
11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
This one was easy. Elias Harris. To those who vote Sacre, didn't watch the same game that I saw. And if this was the Sacre that MDABE told us about, we are in deep trouble. This was, to me, one of the worse games Ive seen out of a GU center.

Psychozag
11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm going with the refs....

ZagLawGrad
11-11-2011, 09:28 PM
This one was easy. Elias Harris. To those who vote Sacre, didn't watch the same game that I saw. And if this was the Sacre that MDABE told us about, we are in deep trouble. This was, to me, one of the worse games Ive seen out of a GU center.

But for Sacre, this was a big "L" tonite.

EH not too impressive for an EWU game.

Therunner
11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Quietly, Pangos.

His 1st official game - ever:

11 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist(could have been many more to Hart/others in transition, but they missed)

6-6 from FT(100%) as a Frosh. HUGE.

1 TO. HUGE.

27 mins as a Freshman GU PG. HUGE.

Baseline
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Sacre, his FT shooting made the difference.

The Zags looked pretty ragged on the 3 point defense!

hooter73
11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
The Zags looked pretty ragged.

fixed it.

Bogozags
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Rob was consistent throughout the game...he played well defensively and got to the line, which is what he must do each game.

We didn't play well and EWU had a big part in that...

Still not defending the three ball like we should and hopefully, we will do a better job each game. WSU Tuesday night and we should play better.

This was a "W" and we will improve...

kitzbuel
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Guess I'll go with Harris 'cause of his Oops, too. Good on Carter for the feeds.

Outside of the dunks I guess the offensive highlight was getting the Eags in foul trouble. There wasn't much in the defensive highlight department.

hooter73
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
We've got to improve because at this point its the exact same scouting report from last year.

Maybe I just believed too much summer hype on the Rob and Elias improvements and E looks better than last year (not saying much) but for this great front court that we are supposed to have... I am not seeing it. I expected the guards to take some time and they are all showing good things but the bigs were supposed to be on from minute one. Maybe we are back to just scrapping out wins by will and hustle and smarts alone.

Just_An_Old_Zag
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
an inauspicious beginning to say the least

have to play much better monday or the cougars will feast on bulldogs in the kennel...a horrible thought

Zag-Coug
11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Sacre wasn't great, but was solid. Drew a lot of fouls, which was really important because this was how we ended up scoring a lot of our points. Defended the interior without fouling and most importantly, this guy continues to hit his freethrows.

willandi
11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Bogozags;694951] WSU Tuesday night and we should play better.

=QUOTE]

Isn't the game Monday?

Baseline
11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I liked Harts hustle and was glad to see Few give him a start.

Pangos was quite solid for a Freshman.

I'm concerned with Bell. This is 3 games now he hasn't showed up. The points on a graph makes a trend line. Hope I'm being overly critical and he starts showing up. Hope we didn't red shirt the wrong guys!

HillBillyZag
11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Wonder what the story is on zero minutes for Spangler ? He is supposedly the kind of battler who would shine in a a game like tonights turned out to be. He must either be hurt or his stock has dropped ?

bartruff1
11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Quietly, Pangos.

His 1st official game - ever:

11 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist(could have been many more to Hart/others in transition, but they missed)

6-6 from FT(100%) as a Frosh. HUGE.

1 TO. HUGE.

27 mins as a Freshman GU PG. HUGE. But this kid should start and play 25+ minutes...IMHO

gamagin
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
double double. I think 22 pts & 10 boards. But his f.t.'s & MC's, plus a few key ones from Pangos, put this game away.

hooter73
11-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Like against Carroll, Sacre should have scored and rebounded twice the numbers he did against this small of lineups. He is definitely not worried about a post college career like he says in his interviews thats for sure.

FGZagDad
11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I too wonder where spangler was tonight? Pangos was a bright spot, good court sense, few errors and put the ball in the hole when given the chance.

zag buddy
11-11-2011, 09:59 PM
EWUs game plan was to hang all over Sacre everytime he got the ball-couldn't you all see that. You can't play with people grabbing your arms or slamming you head and shoulders. Great game for Rob. Harris did well Pangos not bad, the rest still need work.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
another vote could have gone to Hayford. Kept his team believing and working hard until about the 38 minute mark. Really nice effort; gonna look forward to rooting for EWU this year. I usually root for WSU as my consolation favorite team, but I think EWU has become my second other favorite team.

Zags looked awful, really--no flow, rhythm. I think we will be fine. EWU might be very good, already picked to win conference.

U Zig, I Zag
11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Someone else = refs. That's where my vote went.

TwoCatsOne
11-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I gave it to Rob. I should have voted for myself for not once missing the bucket I kept vomiting in.

Mantua
11-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Sacre for endurance and free throws.

The perimeter d is going to improve, right?

Lordy!

Kiddwell
11-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Harris...by a mile.

:]

2wiceright
11-12-2011, 12:04 AM
The 3 veterans did what we expected against a good EWU team. Tonight I voted Pangos as he quietly scored in double figures, handled the ball well, went 6-6 from the line (the last couple were clutch), grabbed 4 rebounds and only had 1 turnover in his first ''real" game as a freshman. He looked totally comfortable at the helm and can play D too! I think the point guard debate is close to being resolved (although David will still get his minutes his battle with Kevin only make them both better)...

john montana
11-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Carter was at times awful, and at times solid. But there is no way I could ever vote for a guy for player of the game after he makes a half hearted jog to get a loose ball.

MickMick
11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Carter was at times awful, and at times solid. But there is no way I could ever vote for a guy for player of the game after he makes a half hearted jog to get a loose ball.

This. I grew accustomed to Meech's effort. He wasn't the most skilled player, but you could always count on his effort.

My vote was for Harris.

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Opted for Harris. Thought he was the most impactful, least error prone guy on the court last night. . .

Hart ? 9 Boards was his reward for hustle. He missed his open shot opportunities though.

bostonzagfan
11-12-2011, 09:27 AM
i voted EH.

analysis of each player and the game here (written by me, not some 17 yr old kid from NY!)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/937269-gonzagas-win-over-eastern-washington-by-the-numbers

rijman
11-12-2011, 09:40 AM
22 points, 10 boards and 1 PF in 33 minutes is one of the WORST games you've seen from a GU center??? I've seen a lot worse and not many in recent years that were better.

RenoZag
11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Of course it was one the worst coaching performances ever, according to Reborn. . .

Scoreboard.

primal23
11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Ewu

MDABE80
11-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Good players beat you in many ways. If Rob gets ten rebounds and puts up 22 pts every game, He'll be an AA. Rob was beatenup by 3 players all night long. He didn't show his hops like he could and he didn't show his 12-15 ft jumper but he had a great game. Rob, if you go see the films, was everywhere. I suppose he could have gotten 30 without the beating but he did fine by me for the first game of his last season. He can repeat this performance all day long and in every game.

Did he perform like this last year? Nope...not often. So, as I said above, he did very well. When's the last time someone did 22-10.?
Monumental task considering.....

kramzag
11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
The ref's whistle.

fedwayzag
11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Great post Abe. I cannot believe people are questioning Rob after this game. It was easy to see EWU plan. Foul anytime the ball got inside. Hope we miss some free throws and them to shot 3's. They hoped and actually succeeded in their game plan. Just was not quite enough.

maynard g krebs
11-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Double digit boards for Rob against a team whose only chance was to play tackle basketball. Rebounding has been Rob's biggest weakness. If he does this every night it'll be a huge improvement for him.

Agree with Abe.

As to those who are saying the refs- the way Eastern was playing (and kudos to them- that and the 3 ball were their chance to win) the refs could easily have called another 10 or 20 fouls on them.

zagzilla
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Harris played the better than Sacre. Still he loafed sometimes on defense. EWU was going at him to get open looks

ZZ

UberZagFan
11-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Sacre. The word has been spoken. Woohoo may now tally the votes. Oh wait, he uses this poll now. Ok, whatever.