PDA

View Full Version : Starting Lineup

Angelo Roncalli
11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I should preface this by saying that I generally despise threads about who should start (they're almost as bad as threads about redshirts). A little too much vomica for me.

That said, the projected starting lineup for tomorrow, per the official presser, is:

David Stockton
Gary Bell, Jr.
Marquise Carter
Elias Harris
Robert Sacre

OK. Commence spewing.

75Zag
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Sounds ok to me. I suspect GU could beat Eastern by starting only 4 players, so I am not going to lose any sleep over this lineup of fine players.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but is there a rule about when and where redshirts are announced? Or do we automatically know at game time? I wish college BB had a rule like the NFL where player status, injuries, suspensions have to be announced at least 48 hours before the game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Nevtelen
11-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Sounds ok to me. I suspect GU could beat Eastern by starting only 4 players, so I am not going to lose any sleep over this lineup of fine players.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but is there a rule about when and where redshirts are announced? Or do we automatically know at game time? I wish college BB had a rule like the NFL where player status, injuries, suspensions have to be announced at least 48 hours before the game.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I'm pretty sure that redshirts don't EVER have to be announced, except to some person who reads all the paperwork for the NCAA. As far as fans go, I'd guess a player could redshirt a whole season and if no one thought to ask, the fact would never be revealed. So we can infer what we like from who dresses and who doesn't, but we'll have to wait until someone actually straight-out asks Few and Co about specific players.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 05:47 PM
If Derrick Rose were a Zag frosh this would be the lineup. Ok, obligations fulfilled. Just don't make a habit of his, Fewie. Play the five best. Whoever they are.

04ZagFan
11-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I really cringe at the fact that David Stockton is our starting PG, but oh well. I trust our staff.

DixieZag
11-10-2011, 06:21 PM
DS is our starting guard for our first game of the season, the first home game of the year and all that energy that goes with "firsts" - - I rather trust David and his 2 full years in the program to get the guys off to a "controlled" start in a frenetic time.

I also rather trust that as the newness of the season starts to wear off in a few games, we may well see a different PG start, and that is just fine also.

04ZagFan
11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
DS is our starting guard for our first game of the season, the first home game of the year and all that energy that goes with "firsts" - - I rather trust David and his 2 full years in the program to get the guys off to a "controlled" start in a frenetic time.

I also rather trust that as the newness of the season starts to wear off in a few games, we may well see a different PG start, and that is just fine also.

And I agree with you.. That's kind of my point. Scares me.

NEC26
11-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Exactly the lineup I figured would start and I agree with it as well. Down the road I would not be surprised to see Pangos starting though.

Therunner
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd say 95% of posters projected this lineup, including myself.

That said, I'd bet good $$$ our starting lineup is different by Christmas break.

Coach Few is one loyal fellow and I admire that...he sticks to his guns...just remember when Ammo was a Frosh...

If it were up to Coach Lloyd, this starting-5 might be different...

btzag
11-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Don't forget that DS beat out Meech last year and played really good ball in the second half of the year. The guy has fought, worked hard and earned his playing time...and then when he got that time he performed very well for a RS frosh. Not saying that Pangos will not outplay him this year but I don't understand why some are 'scared' that he is starting? Did you not watch the games last year?

This team needs a facilitator for Sacre, Harris, Carter and Dower and possibly Bell and Spangler. What they don't need is a dominating presence on the ball who looks for his own shot.

For what it's worth I'm not worried at all about either PG nor the other 'youth' we have in the back court.

Malastein
11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't think there's a marked drop off from our first team to our second, so it's probably more beneficial to have a few studs to bring off the bench and really create separation against an opponents' second team/winded starters. I gt the impression that there's not that much of a drop off to our second unit, and there may be a few improvements. Especially so as the season goes on.

Reborn
11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Sacre
Harris
Carter
Pangos
Bell

Therunner
11-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't think there's a marked drop off from our first team to our second, so it's probably more beneficial to have a few studs to bring off the bench and really create separation against an opponents' second team/winded starters. I gt the impression that there's not that much of a drop off to our second unit, and there may be a few improvements. Especially so as the season goes on.

+1

Very good point.

Its true. Marquise said himself, the pick-up games, scrimmages, and practices are very close b/w the two groups. The "Kraziness in the Kennel" showed us how close(and deep) our team really is...just look at our roster this season...not one player who couldn't play meaningful minutes. Dare I say the 'deepest' team we've ever had? Even our walk-ons are real players this year.

Our so-called "back-ups" are Kevin Pangos, Guy Landry, Ryan Spangler, Sam Dower, Mike Hart, Kelly Olynyk, Mathis Monninghoff, et al...are you kidding me?

No one, besides Elias, should have to log more than 30 mins per game this year...keep everyone fresh and go all out every game.

As Coach Few has said many times this pre-season, "not one of my most talented teams, yet this may be the best chemistry and deepest teams we've had..."

That is what I like to hear...chemistry w/a little talent can trump prima-donna 'tudes any day of the week..

Therunner
11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Sacre
Harris
Carter
Pangos
Bell

Born again -- is that your 'projected' lineup then?

Any thoughts on the current starting lineup?

bigblahla
11-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Right on Mal. We really should be able to wear down our opponents.

If the 3 ball doesn't get us a special year it will be.

Tomorrow night Zaggies, FINALLY! :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Baseline
11-10-2011, 09:57 PM
If they start Bell, he needs to step it up. Few doesn't start freshmen that easily, so if he starts I expect to be impressed. Hope he shows well!

kitzbuel
11-11-2011, 02:58 AM
If it were up to Coach Lloyd, this starting-5 might be different...

I actually suspect not.

jbslicer
11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Ditto on what jazz said. Play the best five. I don't get it when folks say that Few's system is tough for a frosh to learn. Or that freshman have to learn the "speed of the game." What the hell does that mean?
Just play the best five.

Birddog
11-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Does it really matter who starts? Do you really think the staff is not starting the best 5? IMO, minutes played will be a bigger indicator of what's up, unless it's a blowout.

jazzdelmar
11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
The lineup smacks of Few obligations. To Stocks family of course and to Quise for what some here say was Dwayne Wade like play for a few games last year. As for Bell, he reportedly promised he would handle the ball. Unable to deliver on that, see #1, he's offering next best. Plus if Few ever hopes to mine Seattle he needs to give Bell a long leash. Yes, as we have sadly learned, college sports can be political. Whatever, Pangs, Drangs and Spangs are a phone call away.

zagfan24
11-11-2011, 07:03 AM
The lineup smacks of Few obligations. To Stocks family of course...

Everything I have heard and read about the John Stockton, David Stockton, and the Stockton family makes me 99.9999% certain that they would never want a starting position for DS if it wasn't deserved.

Pangos will get plenty of minutes, especially if he is as good as everybody is proclaiming him to be (and he appears to be). I don't understand the fury on this board over David starting. He has 2 years of experience and clearly has a knack for running the offense effectively.

Further, playing the "best 5" is simplistic and ignores the team element of basketball. The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Maybe KP brings something to the second unit that DS can't, and vice versa.

cjm720
11-11-2011, 07:06 AM
David Stockton
Gary Bell, Jr.
Marquise Carter
Elias Harris
Robert Sacre

Pangs and Dower first off the bench. Stomp the Eagles!!!

NotoriousZ
11-11-2011, 07:09 AM
OK. Commence spewing.

I really cringe at the fact that David Stockton is our starting PG, but oh well. I trust our staff.

Pangos will start when the time comes, no need to bash Stockton. David will do very well against Eastern, and he will be an excellent backup to KP in the future.

jazzdelmar
11-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Everything I have heard and read about the John Stockton, David Stockton, and the Stockton family makes me 99.9999% certain that they would never want a starting position for DS if it wasn't deserved.

Pangos will get plenty of minutes, especially if he is as good as everybody is proclaiming him to be (and he appears to be). I don't understand the fury on this board over David starting. He has 2 years of experience and clearly has a knack for running the offense effectively.

Further, playing the "best 5" is simplistic and ignores the team element of basketball. The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Maybe KP brings something to the second unit that DS can't, and vice versa.

Not suggesting the family made demands. Noat at all. But I'm sure they feel that D does deserve to start. It's not like he's as awful as Meech. And he did look pretty good by comparison. Time will tell. But my concern is that as with others in the past, Few will stubbornly stick with a starting five that isn't his best and doesn't give him the best chance to get of the mark well.

buenaparkzag
11-11-2011, 07:17 AM
For our starting guard has to be David for now. I agree with btzag and Zagfan74. Few will start best 5, won't he?

Zagpower
11-11-2011, 07:41 AM
If they continue to show the improvement they did last year from the start to the end of the season, we'll be just fine with Stocks and MQ. They both showed as much growth during a single season as any Zags in recent memory.

gozagswoohoo
11-11-2011, 07:46 AM
If they continue to show the improvement they did last year from the start to the end of the season, we'll be just fine with Stocks and MQ. They both showed as much growth during a single season as any Zags in recent memory.

this

sonuvazag
11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
The politics of rewarding seniority and loyalty is essential to encouraging it.

The guys out front are perfectly capable. Those waiting in the wings will have their day.

Malastein
11-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Greg Popovich brings Manu Ginobili off the bench. Not every coach starts his five best players.

sonuvazag
11-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Greg Popovich brings Manu Ginobili off the bench. Not every coach starts his five best players.Great point. Perhaps it is the board that is overly political.

proudzagparent
11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Quite respectfully, the board has devolved into a forum for alot of dumbasses to spew. How much have you seen of Bell and Pangos? Yet declaring they are better than DS, so he's starting because of John/Nada's influence with the program. Anyone remotely close knows that John and Nada are so far away from attempting to influence Few et al that the suggestion is absolutely ridiculous. Answermethis, those who have that theory: How heck did David not get a scholarship offer from the staff out of G-Prep? You're saying John/Nada have enough influence now to assure David is starting, but did not have enough to get him a schollie? Dumbasses who know nothing of the realities of GU ball. Ignore them. How did Lindsay, now more accomplished than David was at this point in his prep career, just now sign with Montana State because GU did not offer her? Y'think if John had the ability to dictate that his son son would start over superior players, he might have gotten his daughter an offer from Graves?

David has earned his starting spot because he is the best PG we have at this point for this team. Imploring, ignore the dumbasses and celebrate the fact that John S. and his wife have been absolutely hands off and respectful. Believe me, they would much rather have their son either earn it or not get it at all. Dumbasses.

GUZag08
11-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Quite respectfully, the board has devolved into a forum for alot of dumbasses to spew. How much have you seen of Bell and Pangos? Yet declaring they are better than DS, so he's starting because of John/Nada's influence with the program. Anyone remotely close knows that John and Nada are so far away from attempting to influence Few et al that the suggestion is absolutely ridiculous. Answermethis, those who have that theory: How heck did David not get a scholarship offer from the staff out of G-Prep? You're saying John/Nada have enough influence now to assure David is starting, but did not have enough to get him a schollie? Dumbasses who know nothing of the realities of GU ball. Ignore them. How did Lindsay, now more accomplished than David was at this point in his prep career, just now sign with Montana State because GU did not offer her? Y'think if John had the ability to dictate that his son son would start over superior players, he might have gotten his daughter an offer from Graves?

David has earned his starting spot because he is the best PG we have at this point for this team. Imploring, ignore the dumbasses and celebrate the fact that John S. and his wife have been absolutely hands off and respectful. Believe me, they would much rather have their son either earn it or not get it at all. Dumbasses.

are you implying that some of the posters on here are dumbasses?

NEC26
11-11-2011, 08:48 AM

I'm not sure maybe I should reread it again just to be sure.:D
I honestly don't think 98% of the board actually believes that DS is starting because of his dad at all but I also don't think its a stretch to think that Pangos may take that starting spot down the road. Regardless they both will get plenty of playing time this year.

hooter73
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Ditto on what jazz said. Play the best five. I don't get it when folks say that Few's system is tough for a frosh to learn. Or that freshman have to learn the "speed of the game." What the hell does that mean?
Just play the best five.

Dude read some of the interviews from Bell. He has stated flat out that adjusting to the speed of the game is a challenge for him.

The lineup smacks of Few obligations.

And this is just bull$#!t.

Starters are rewarded for their hard work. When Sacre was working his butt off his first year or two he got the start over Josh H. Sacre came out and Josh went in at the first opportunity but he was rewarded for his hard work. Downs and Gray were interchanged as the 6th man plenty of times (reportedly) based on who was playing better coming off the bench. There is a lot more that goes into it than "play the best five"

jazzdelmar
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure maybe I should reread it again just to be sure.:D
I honestly don't think 98% of the board actually believes that DS is starting because of his dad at all but I also don't think its a stretch to think that Pangos may take that starting spot down the road. Regardless they both will get plenty of playing time this year.

Probably thisclose to 100%, including a few dumbasses :)

titopoet
11-11-2011, 08:56 AM
David Stockton
Gary Bell, Jr.
Marquise Carter
Elias Harris
Robert Sacre

I think that is about right. It will be interesting to see who will start the 2nd halve and who will have the most PT.

bostonzagfan
11-11-2011, 09:08 AM
it is not about who starts the game, but rather who is playing in the last 3 minutes of a close game. any player will tell you they would rather not start and be in the game during the final minutes of nail-biter, than start but watch the last tense minutes from the bench.

NEC26
11-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I know some here don't like the idea of Carter playing the three but I for one love it. He isn't a point guard but he has a great handles and passing skills for a three which gives our team three capable guys handling the rock.
Not only that but his game is really suited well for the three. He can hit the three but he loves to slash to the hoop (something I wish Matthis would learn) and is very adept with his mid range game.
I really think this will work well for us this year and will compliment our bigs quite nicely. I look for our offense to be incredibly tough to stop this year. Teams will not be able to throw gimmick defenses our way any more.
Carter will be more than able to hold his own on defense. He showed that all last year. Can't wait for the game tonight!

gamagin
11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Dedicated to those who offer inflammatory opinions unencumbered by facts.

jazzdelmar
11-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Great idea, Gam. Count me in.

WanderingZag
11-11-2011, 10:51 AM

If so, he did it quite subtly. I did not catch on to that at all.

Midwestzag
11-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Dumbass Hall of Fame

I don't know about making it to the Hall of Fame, but I know my wife has nominated me to the Preseason Naismith Dumbass Watch List.

Vanzagger
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM

smart guy/girl. How far does David take this team this year?

bigblahla
11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Now if it was numbasses I'd probably be guilty as charged.

Stocks then Pangos Stocks then Pangos.

Pangos then Stocks Pangos then Stocks.

Feel good about both of them.

We is a bunch of lucky Zaggies and tonight we is plucking Ergles or Emus or whatever foul birds is invading K2. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Born again -- is that your 'projected' lineup then?

Any thoughts on the current starting lineup?

I think that this is our best line up right now (I think Guy Landry-Edi will start when he returns). I believe that Pangos serves the team best by starting because David Stockton is a great 6th or 7th man. When David came off the bench last year, he gave the team a boost and that's what is needed from a good bench player. Kindof like Dower too.

I think the sooner we get to a starting lineup and keep it, the better things will be.

Dark Horse, and an emerging star is Dranginis.....He's a player to keep your eyes on tonight....

If I had been a moderator I would never have allowed the talk about the Stockton family. I agree that those ideas of how that affects Few and his decisions about David are rediculous and should NOT be on this board for the general public to read. Please, please please read your posts before clicking enter and ask yourself if your blog will be embarrassing.....

Colbyspapa
11-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm with Proud... I think Stocks earned it all by himself. I'm a believer and while Pangos may have more talent, it appears to me Stocks has been overachieving and beating out better talent his whole life. I love having them both and Pagos may in fact take over, but to suggest David hasn't earned the starting job shows you are a... What was it Proud called you?????

maynard g krebs
11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that this is our best line up right now (I think Guy Landry-Edi will start when he returns). I believe that Pangos serves the team best by starting because David Stockton is a great 6th or 7th man. When David came off the bench last year, he gave the team a boost and that's what is needed from a good bench player. Kindof like Dower too.

I think the sooner we get to a starting lineup and keep it, the better things will be.

Dark Horse, and an emerging star is Dranginis.....He's a player to keep your eyes on tonight....

If I had been a moderator I would never have allowed the talk about the Stockton family. I agree that those ideas of how that affects Few and his decisions about David are rediculous and should NOT be on this board for the general public to read. Please, please please read your posts before clicking enter and ask yourself if your blog will be embarrassing.....

Great post Reborn. Especially the last paragraph.

Reborn
11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Proudzagparent's blog was nice, but not factual. I think there is a huge debate whether David S. is better than Pangos. I haven't seen Pangos play yet, other than the Carrol College game; so I think tonight we will find out a lot more. I won't apologize because I think the team will be better with Pangos running the show for the majority of the game.

Vanzagger
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Stockton family? What? Everybody knows when they come on board what they signed up for.

Dranginis looks like a young Klay Thompson to me. I think we should go with a 5 guard line up just to keep everybody happy.

RenoZag
11-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Agent provocateurs are a dime a dozen on the internet. All of the forums on GUB have them.

Bing
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
From Urban Dictionary

1. dumbass
Someone who looks up the word "dumbass" in a dictionary.
If you don't know what a dumbass is you're really a f&8($#g dumbass.

2. dumbass
A person is both stupid (e.g. dumb) while also stubbornly refusing to stop being stupid when asked (e.g. ass)

"I couldn't teach him how to use the paintball gun because he was running around with it between his legs like a dumbass."

3 dumbass
1. A person of ignorance or arrogance
2. A person who thinks they know something and refuses to accept the truth of their knowledge
You are a fndgnn dumbass!

4. dumbass
a person who acts like a morron and makes people laugh and does not realize that the people are laughing at them not with them

"look at that kid what a dumbass"

5. dumbass
Someone who is not only dumb, but an ass.
"Frank, you stupid son of a #####, you're a dumbass."

rennis
11-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I think we should go with a 5 guard line up just to keep everybody happy.

This was funny.

.................................................. .....................

I don't really have much to add to the Pangos/DS debate, but may the best man help us win.

(hint: best man will frequently be both of them.)

sonuvazag
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Agent provocateurs are a dime a dozen on the internet. All of the forums on GUB have them.
Even the foo? :(

jim77
11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I like the starting lineup....Marquis and David are 2 pretty solid guys. Its good to start a known quanity. When Pangos and Spangler enter its not going to get any easier for EWU. I just want to see a withering defense for 40 minutes.....I also agree with getting GBJ a start to let the kid get used to the feeling. I suspect this one is gonna be over at the half.

U Zig, I Zag
11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Holy sh#t I can't wait until 8pm.

Wait... just checked previous year's posts and it appears we talk about the starting 5 on a PER GAME basis all season long.

Carry on.

bartruff1
11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Agent provocateurs are a dime a dozen on the internet. All of the forums on GUB have them. Ah yes and the most infamous Ms Galore from the movies...truly provocative agent....

RenoZag
11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Even the foo? :(

Especially The Foo !!

sonuvazag
11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Especially The Foo !!
Agent provocateur must be a good thing then!

04ZagFan
11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm glad this thread turned somewhat humorous after ZagParent's rambling.

I love when posters who are clearly biased state their opinion in a factual way. Reminds me of those two people that were debating over Olynyk/Spangler the last couple weeks.

Personally, I believe it's just fine for a non biased fan such as myself to question Stocktons ability. Shoot, I never thought he'd touch the floor until senior night when I heard he was on the team. I was pleasantly surprised. He contributed a lot last season as a freshman. Huge!

Now, questioning if he can be the starting PG and LEAD this team to a deep NCAA tournament is fair, IMO. That's kinda what this board is for. Plenty of question marks, let's debate them!

Reborn
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM

I love when posters who are clearly biased state their opinion in a factual way. Reminds me of those two people that were debating over Olynyk/Spangler the last couple weeks.

Personally, I believe it's just fine for a non biased fan such as myself to question Stocktons ability. Shoot, I never thought he'd touch the floor until senior night when I heard he was on the team. I was pleasantly surprised. He contributed a lot last season as a freshman. Huge!

Now, questioning if he can be the starting PG and LEAD this team to a deep NCAA tournament is fair, IMO. That's kinda what this board is for. Plenty of question marks, let's debate them!

I don't think Zagparent was talking about you, but it is interesting that yu put yourself in the "dumbass" group of fans. hahahahahahaha

04ZagFan
11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think Zagparent was talking about you, but it is interesting that yu put yourself in the "dumbass" group of fans. hahahahahahaha

Well, If I'm a "dumbass" for questioning David Stockton, then I am OK with that.

UberZagFan
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Interesting debate but completely irrelevant. This team will only go as far as Harris, Sacre, and to a lesser extent, Dower and Spangler, take them. Starting Pangos over DS in game 1 vs. EWU does not turn this team from a first weekend out team to a FF team.

GoZags
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Well, If I'm a "dumbass" for questioning David Stockton, then I am OK with that.

I read the post of zagparent -- I don't believe he was calling anyone a dumbass for questioning David Stockton. I believe he was calling the folks who said that the Stockton family's influence made David a starter over a supposedly superior teammate dumbasses. That's how I read his post.

Zaglaw
11-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Tom Hudson just said that there is a "surprise starter" tonight. Who do you think he means?

RockandRollJames
11-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Pangos needs to start. It's only a matter of time.

Malastein
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Keep in mind that whatever we debate, the players and coaches will end up settling. I've learned that I can't convince some people I'm right, but the results can prove me either right or wrong. I'm always rooting to be right when it means the Zags are winning, and I'm always rooting to be wrong when it means the Zags are winning.

Therunner
11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Mike Hart with the START?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?!

btzag
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Well lots of experimenting going on....let me be the first to say I am not a fan of Stocks and Hart on the floor at the same time.

mtzaga
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Well lots of experimenting going on....let me be the first to say I am not a fan of Stocks and Hart on the floor at the same time.

You are not the first.