PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Bulletin: Gary Bell

ZagNative
11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Nice feature on Gary Bell in the Gonzaga Bulletin (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/freshman-guard-looks-to-fulfill-hype-1.2691935), with one of the best pics I've seen of GBJ as a Zag:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_cZPNL8sj2o/Trxf_PUqhoI/AAAAAAABS3U/aH1K68-k4es/s650/2011-11-11.JPG
"Coming out of high school, he was the man," senior guard Marquise Carter said of the 6-foot-2 Bell, who is the highest rated recruit since Austin Daye stepped foot on campus in the fall of 2007. "He had the ball all of the time, he shot it whenever he wanted. But, up here [in college] it's off and on. He gets shots here, he gets shots there."

"I tell him to do the things he has a control over," said assistant coach Donny Daniels. "Concentrate on defense, make sure you're closing out the right way, get on the ground for loose balls.

"Things happen so fast and so immediate, you can't play backwards."
"With Gary, it seems like he's a step ahead of the freshmen," Carter said. "He's got the killer instinct attitude. He doesn't back down to anybody."

That includes Carter himself, a rivalry on the court, which Carter refers to simply as "business."

Carter can relate to Bell, as a highly-regarded junior college player a year ago, it took him the first 20 games to get acclimated with the college A-game, before finishing so strongly he drew West Coast Conference tournament MVP honors.

"I was just worrying about making mistakes, every time I missed a shot I was worried about coming out. Eventually he'll learn, like I did not to worry about it," Carter said.
"Before you get involved with a young man, you see if he can play the game of basketball. It's obvious Gary can do that," Daniels said. "Being such a nice young man, that's just cherry on top."

Bell also felt comfortable with the coaches, who he said he believes are some of the best in the country.

But they aren't the only ones instructing the guard on ways to improve, Bell said Carter and fellow returnee David Stockton teach him on a daily basis.

"They help a lot. They tell me different things to do on the court. They tell me "keep shooting," when my shot isn't falling," he said.

buenaparkzag
11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Nice article about Gary. Keep shooting Gary, keep shooting.

Zags11
11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Wont worry about bell. He will avg 10-12 this yr and by junior year 19ppg

J-Lo
11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
It seems like we've seen a lot more sound bytes/quotes from Carter in the last month or so leading up to the start of the season. From the limited exposure I've had to his personality via news articles, quotes such as these, etc, I have to admit I'm becoming a big fan of his mentality toward the game.

He seems very pragmatic; he's supportive, but not gushing. He's very realistic as it relates to the newcomers-- acknowledging their potential, hedged by a coach's recognition of the need for continued growth.

I hope he can develop that into a stronger leadership and mentoring role on the team this year.

xjzico
11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
I got the opposite from Carter.

webspinnre
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
It seems like we've seen a lot more sound bytes/quotes from Carter in the last month or so leading up to the start of the season. From the limited exposure I've had to his personality via news articles, quotes such as these, etc, I have to admit I'm becoming a big fan of his mentality toward the game.

He seems very pragmatic; he's supportive, but not gushing. He's very realistic as it relates to the newcomers-- acknowledging their potential, hedged by a coach's recognition of the need for continued growth.

I hope he can develop that into a stronger leadership and mentoring role on the team this year.

I completely agree. I've been very impressed by his attitude, and he really appears to be taking the role as the second leader of the team, behind Sacre.

cjm720
11-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Me too. Very impressed.