PDA

View Full Version : OT - Interesting start to North Carolina's season

CDC84
11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
The #1 UNC Tarheels go from playing a game on Friday against Michigan State on an aircraft carrier in San Diego to playing UNC-Asheville at their brand new, 3,200 seat on campus gym on Sunday afternoon.

Roy Williams has always liked variety.

BobZag
11-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Any contigency plans if it's windy or rainy in San Diego?

Law Zag In Training
11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
According to Roy Williams on the Dan Patrick Show, there is another Court set up in the hanger area of the carrier if it rains.

If it is just windy, they'll still play the game outside.

CDC84
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Yes. It's all explained right here:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2011/11/all_hoops_on_deck_for_michigan.html

The main arena will be screened to reduce wind factor, and positioned and lighted for minimal impact from sunset, which is scheduled for late in the first half. A duplicate arena will be placed on the hangar bay, in the event of inclement weather.

There is a 50% chance of rain in San Diego late tomorrow afternoon. They'll probably have to use the duplicate arena.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Rain due. Hangar fits half as many as deck. Obama to attend. Traffic downtown could be chaotic. Gimmicky. Exploitative of military, IMO. But San Diego is a pro Navy town.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-10-2011, 02:28 PM
The weather forecast has improved for Friday. Storm is supposed to hold off until late Friday night or early Saturday, depending on which news station or website you like.

Some photos...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/photos/galleries/2011/nov/07/carrier-classic-preparations/

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Traffic downtown could be chaotic.

Already is. N. Harbor is all screwed up because of prep for America's Cup.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Already is. N. Harbor is all screwed up because of prep for America's Cup.

plus chargers raiders tonite....and the inevitable fights, etc. that will ensure. stay off 5 later on :)

kitzbuel
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Yes. It's all explained right here:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2011/11/all_hoops_on_deck_for_michigan.html

The main arena will be screened to reduce wind factor, and positioned and lighted for minimal impact from sunset, which is scheduled for late in the first half. A duplicate arena will be placed on the hangar bay, in the event of inclement weather.

There is a 50% chance of rain in San Diego late tomorrow afternoon. They'll probably have to use the duplicate arena.

Interesting. Rear Admiral Moynihan is my neighbor. I'll have to talk with him tomorrow at our kid's Veterans' Day Assembly.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
plus chargers raiders tonite....and the inevitable fights, etc. that will ensure. stay off 5 later on :)

And trolley police are striking tonight. Yikes.

bartruff1
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Rain due. Hangar fits half as many as deck. Obama to attend. Traffic downtown could be chaotic. Gimmicky. Exploitative of military, IMO. But San Diego is a pro Navy town. Jazz how can you be such a adorable kid and say such nasty things ?? Does your mother know about your posting ? Does she know that you go to that track ? Does she know that you hook your drives so that you can go down and search for your ball on that beach ??? Naughty....

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM
And trolley police are striking tonight. Yikes.

plus the weather today was dreary, despite forecasts...might move back to NYC.....haha!

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Jazz how can you be such a adorable kid and say such nasty things ?? Does your mother know about your posting ? Does she know that you go to that track ? Does she know that you hook your drives so that you can go down and search for your ball on that beach ??? Naughty....

i liked the "adorable" part...

bartruff1
11-10-2011, 03:25 PM
i liked the "adorable" part...

Damn, you are good...I thought for sure I would get you on the Torrey Pines reference... well....anyway, it will be a good game to watch...

sittingon50
11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Who exactly is paying for this shindig?

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Who exactly is paying for this shindig?

The network for the most part, but all ancillary costs, well, we are. As per usual.

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Damn, you are good...I thought for sure I would get you on the Torrey Pines reference... well....anyway, it will be a good game to watch...

Been to Blacks Beach at low tide on my bike frm Del Mar and, trust me, everyone there, well, should not have been there, if you catch my drift.

bartruff1
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes I do, make the same mistake. Used to go to conferences at some hotel either right at or very near the La jolla beach..can't remember the name of it. But a opportunity to play some golf in the area and bet on the ponies. Very nice, keep thinking about a place to winter there....

jazzdelmar
11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes I do, make the same mistake. Used to go to conferences at some hotel either right at or very near the La jolla beach..can't remember the name of it. But a opportunity to play some golf in the area and bet on the ponies. Very nice, keep thinking about a place to winter there....

The Valencia in LaJ? Or the Lodge at Torrey Pines? LaJolla Racquet Club? Break par? Real estate has dived, good time to pick up a place. I'm in Del Mar, obviously, and it's superior to LaJ but not as tony as Rancho Santa Fe.

bartruff1
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
It was pretty fancy, table cloths white jackets and crystal... I played in the high seventies, any hotter than that, I went swimming....

JPtheBeasta
11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
This whole thing feels like an awesome 80's action movie plot: High school kids think they are playing an innocent game on an aircraft carrier, until the Russian's attack San Diego and it's up to a resilient high school basketball player/ amateur pilot to save the day. Of course he rescues his P.O.W. father from a prison camp, gets the girl, and learns a lot about himself in the process.

The sequel happens on the moon.

willandi
11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
This whole thing feels like an awesome 80's action movie plot: High school kids think they are playing an innocent game on an aircraft carrier, until the Russian's attack San Diego and it's up to a resilient high school basketball player/ amateur pilot to save the day. Of course he rescues his P.O.W. father from a prison camp, gets the girl, and learns a lot about himself in the process.

The sequel happens on the moon.

Who is the head cook on the carrier? Could be a different sequel.

JPtheBeasta
11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Who is the head cook on the carrier? Could be a different sequel.

:] If a naked women jumps out of a cake we are on the same wavelength. The cook of course, is a highly trained killer who is leaving his dark past behind. UNTIL...

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-11-2011, 08:17 AM
They're playing outside tonight. Should be awesome!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/38495/rain-wont-force-carrier-classic-below-deck

hondo
11-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Should be interesting to see how many 3s are attempted and made. Any breeze at all would be a factor.

gamagin
11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Should be interesting to see how many 3s are attempted and made. Any breeze at all would be a factor.

.. Be sure and check the windsock before shooting anything but a lay in ! "

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-11-2011, 08:57 AM
"You worry about the rain, but I grew up playing outside on the playground, and if there’s wind just shoot it off the backboard.’’ -Draymond Green

DrDrivel
11-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm really hoping to see Obama run out inconspicuously in the middle of a pre-game layup line. Then again, he's lefty and has a goofy shot, so the incognito would wear off fast.

rijman
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
The local news reported the alternate court was not set up in the hangar as originally planned, so it's the flight deck or nothing. Aside from the wind I wondered if the ship had any subtle movements that could affect balance and shooting. Should be interesting to watch.

BTW- the local news also reported the $2M setup cost is completely covered by sponsors.

MDABE80
11-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I used to own lots of land near Swami's in Cardiff but the best was at Moonlight St Beach. Had a house next to Bobby Bethard. Lots of good memories.
ASD is so congested now. Love the place but the Hillcrest isn't exactly what it used to be...if you get my drift;)