PDA

View Full Version : Also in BB S-R Bball Previewby Jim Meehan

ID ZAGFAN
11-10-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/10/gonzaga-men-will-have-experience-down-low-but-not/

When Few surveys his current crew of guards, he likes what he sees in terms of talent, savvy and potential, but there’s a shortage of collegiate experience. Demetri Goodson, who started the last two seasons, transferred and he’s playing football at Baylor.

“This is as much youth as we’ve ever tried to play with, especially in the backcourt,” Few said.

Sophomore David Stockton, the former walk-on who often played more minutes than Goodson in WCC games last season, returns at point guard. Senior Marquise Carter operated primarily at wing and earned 2011 WCC newcomer of the year honors in his first season as a Bulldog.

True freshmen guards Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. bring impressive resumes and they’ve had shining moments in scrimmages.Their development figures to greatly influence the team’s prospects.

“They’re as ready to play as freshmen as Blake (Stepp) and (Matt) Bouldin were,” assistant coach Tommy Lloyd said.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
“They’re as ready to play as freshmen as Blake (Stepp) and (Matt) Bouldin were,” assistant coach Tommy Lloyd said.

This is music to my ears. Both of those guys were key contributors from game 1.

JPtheBeasta
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM

And all-time GU greats :] The prospect of having two in the backcourt at the same time warms my cockles.

04ZagFan
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM

God I hope he's right, too. That's a very bold thing for Lloyd to say. I like it. Both Matt and Blake were incredible since day 1. They improved of course, but they certainly didn't play like freshmen their first seasons.

MDABE80
11-10-2011, 11:16 AM
"...David Stockton, the former walk-on who often .....blah blah "...why does this seem like a slur? Maybe it's me but it's often repeated and a wee bit too much anymore. Yes...we get it.....but must you continue it?
True, no doubt, but it might be time to give this a rest. I don't think David is somehow "less than" but this one little "former walk on" phrase seems a bit much anymore. Maybe it's just a space filler but it's annoying...at least to me.

Arghhhhhh!

hooter73
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
No mention of KD? Are they trying to keep him a sleeper secret?

awberke
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
"...David Stockton, the former walk-on who often .....blah blah "...why does this seem like a slur? Maybe it's me but it's often repeated and a wee bit too much anymore. Yes...we get it.....but must you continue it?
True, no doubt, but it might be time to give this a rest. I don't think David is somehow "less than" but this one little "former walk on" phrase seems a bit much anymore. Maybe it's just a space filler but it's annoying...at least to me.

Arghhhhhh!

Take your pick of "former walk-on" or "son of the Gonzaga great, John Stockton," i'd bet David would choose the former.

Baldwinzag
11-10-2011, 11:25 AM
No mention of KD? Are they trying to keep him a sleeper secret?

Shhhh...don't let [them] know about KD.
http://shoreymarketing.com/index_files/secret_weapon.gif

MDABE80
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd bet David would prefer "David Stockton" without the embellishments put forth by the press. One's a slur and the other is something to be proud of. Let him prove his own worth without the distracting labels. Just a peeve of mine.