PDA

View Full Version : Great Story about Rob in BB Preview

ID ZAGFAN
11-10-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/10/center-of-attention/

There is a special basketball section in today's S-R.

The story by Jim Meehanand pics of Rob are definitely worth the price of admission!

Robert Sacre was in ninth grade the first time Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd saw him play basketball.

“What you saw obviously is he had the great body, great energy level but he was pretty raw,” Lloyd said. “And you could see his personality back then.”

In other words, all the things GU followers have witnessed from the 7-foot Canadian in his first four seasons – he redshirted in 2009 with a broken foot after playing in five games – with the Bulldogs.

Roughly a year later, Lloyd was in a Vancouver, B.C., gym, again watching Sacre.

“He scored a basket and he ran up court and put his fingers together and made a letter ‘Z’ on his chest as he ran by where I was sitting,” Lloyd recalled. “Afterward, I said, ‘What was that?’ He said, ‘The sign of the Zags.’ It was all him. I knew we were in pretty good shape.”

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
The back of the BB preview section has a great ad for the BIS and BC Classic, featuring Sacre, Carter, Stockton, Elias, and Dower as superheroes.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice piece. Thanks for the link, ZaGranny.

DixieZag
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I am going to cherish every single moment of Rob's last season, we have had so so so many good people come through this program, Rony set the bar awfully high but I think Rob has reached it. Oh, and I will be crying like a baby on senior night when he and Carter are out there saying good-bye.

SWZag
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Outstanding article. I have no doubt that this year's chemistry can be credited in a large portion to Rob. Can't say enough about how a personality like his can benefit a team and even the greater community.

I was impressed to read about his mom's rules. A lot of parents could learn from that.

All in all, this is Rob's year to lead this team and I can say that I don't think there's anyone more qualified.

SWZag