PDA

View Full Version : GU signings

ZagAddict
11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Could this be the first year that GU doesn't sign a single recruit? Is this a bad thing? The early signing period opened today, and I can't remember GU ever not announcing the signing of a recruit.

GoZags
11-09-2011, 05:23 PM
It is not a "bad thing".

Worthington
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I think everyone of our players is so good that the coaches feel it would be a shame to recruit anyone, because they would just have to sit on the bench until all our other players graduated (or more likely are taken number 1 overall in the NBA draft)

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Beware of the mystery recruit. Elias's LOI came as a surprise to pretty much everyone, and G.J. didn't commit until late April.

ZagNative
11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Przemyslaw Karnowski commit in the spring, and I'm also keeping my eye on two other "foreigners," the Venezuelan Michael Carrera and the Danish Kevin Larsen, both of whom should do big things at Montrose Christian this seson.

04ZagFan
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
There has to be recruits coming.

We have 2 seniors and a possible early exit. Not to mention I'm sure we'll have a lazy, I mean unhappy kid transfer at some point.

Kiddwell
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Przemyslaw Karnowski commit in the spring, and I'm also keeping my eye on two other "foreigners," the Venezuelan Michael Carrera and the Danish Kevin Larsen, both of whom should do big things at Montrose Christian this seson.

Interesting, ZN. Have you any links handy that a fan might use for a quick look-see?

:]

MickMick
11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
The world is chock full of good players. Meanwhile, the Zags are sitting on a bumper crop of new players.

I simply don't get the anxiety. Talent evaluation good enough for the program to consistently "reload" with recruiting classes that are typically not ranked in the top 25 (is "never" a more accurate description?), and here we have anxiety over what our lineup will look like two years from now.

Doesn't a proven track record count for anything?

I just don't get it. Someone enlighten me please.

ZagNative
11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting, ZN. Have you any links handy that a fan might use for a quick look-see?

:]Here is my initial post about Carrera and Larsen (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=672271#post672271), which reported on Zag offers to Carrera and Larsen and gave some background, mostly about Carrera.

Zag staff has been reported in attendance on a couple of occasions. More in this thread (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=673245#post673245).

I've been googling the two of them regularly but have not seen anything about visits by either of them. George Washington seems to be following them closely.

hooter73
11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
If we dont sign any of the 'options' out there Im encouraged.

bostonzagfan
11-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to sell Gonzaga on giving me a scholly!

webspinnre
11-09-2011, 09:53 PM
It's important to remember that this is just the beginning. All this means is that we don't have any commitments at the moment. I'm sure we'll bring in at least one, and depending on how things go, potentially as many as three if the right transfers pop out.

CDC84
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Karnowski is a definite possibility. Carrera and Larsen appear to not have blossomed as prospects. If they were any good, many, many more high major schools would be after them besides Virginia Tech (who may no longer be interested in them). Montrose Christian is a big time program located in a prime recruiting area.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gonzaga took no one. I continue to say this...if I were a D-1 head coach, I would never have more than 11 scholarship players. The final 2 schoolies go to walk ons on a semester by semester basis. 13 schoolies is too many.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-10-2011, 04:11 AM
I'm not at all worried that the school has not announced any recruits for the coming class. If the coaches don't add another player to the roster, the team will still be stocked two-deep at every position through the end of next season.

They can afford to save those last two schollies until they find one or two really, really good players. I like the idea of keeping an extra scholarship around for those rare moments when a Micah Downs or Dan Dickau-type player calls mid-season and asks to transfer or when a highly rated recruit decommits from a Kentucky or Kansas. There's a small part of me that still wonders if Wiltjer will be looking for another home after a semester with Coach Cal.

SweetOnionZag
11-10-2011, 05:24 AM
MadMan...for some reason, I also can't get "Wiltjers returning to the NW" out of my mind.

kitzbuel
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Karnowski is a definite possibility. Carrera and Larsen appear to not have blossomed as prospects. If they were any good, many, many more high major schools would be after them besides Virginia Tech (who may no longer be interested in them). Montrose Christian is a big time program located in a prime recruiting area.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gonzaga took no one. I continue to say this...if I were a D-1 head coach, I would never have more than 11 scholarship players. The final 2 schoolies go to walk ons on a semester by semester basis. 13 schoolies is too many.

Montrose Christian doesn't really recruit the local area. Think more along the lines of a Findley Prep. Big time hoops program, though.

SLOZag
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
There's a small part of me that still wonders if Wiltjer will be looking for another home after a semester with Coach Cal.

Is this like my wondering whether Lebron James will volunteer as an assistant coach for the Zags during the strike? Or is it something a bit more grounded in fact?

04ZagFan
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Is this like my wondering whether Lebron James will volunteer as an assistant coach for the Zags during the strike? Or is it something a bit more grounded in fact?

Why would you want the Zags to collapse in big games?

SLOZag
11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Why would you want the Zags to collapse in big games?

:roll:

CDC84
11-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Montrose Christian doesn't really recruit the local area. Think more along the lines of a Findley Prep. Big time hoops program, though.

What I meant is that the school is located in an area where a lot of high major college teams can see their players without much effort. If anyone is any good on that team, they will get seen and offered.

zag buddy
11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
How do you not give to contributors every game no scolarship-Mike Hart and david stockton.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-10-2011, 02:11 PM

This is uninformed speculation on my part. Wiltjer is like Dickau, Downs, and Knight in that he was heavily recruited by the Zags and showed mutual interest in the Zags until late in the recruiting process. If he's ever unhappy, I imagine that Gonzaga would be on a short list of places that he'd call in search of greener pastures.

My point was that keeping an extra scholarship or two is handy for times when something unexpected, like a mid-season transfer, occurs.

kitzbuel
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
What I meant is that the school is located in an area where a lot of high major college teams can see their players without much effort. If anyone is any good on that team, they will get seen and offered.

Ah. Around here, the high schools also recruit, particularly the Catholic schools and Montrose. I was in thinking in the context of their recruiting.

ZagAddict
11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm not at all worried that the school has not announced any recruits for the coming class. If the coaches don't add another player to the roster, the team will still be stocked two-deep at every position through the end of next season.

They can afford to save those last two schollies until they find one or two really, really good players. I like the idea of keeping an extra scholarship around for those rare moments when a Micah Downs or Dan Dickau-type player calls mid-season and asks to transfer or when a highly rated recruit decommits from a Kentucky or Kansas. There's a small part of me that still wonders if Wiltjer will be looking for another home after a semester with Coach Cal.

I've always had the feeling that Wiltjer is a transfer waiting to happen as soon as he committed to Kentucky without taking on official visit. Unfortunately, I think it will be to a BCS school on the west coast like Oregon. He would be close to home and would provide a boost for Dana Altman.

DCZag
11-11-2011, 04:46 AM
The wild speculations begin (tho' I must admit the Wiltjer thought has crossed my mind). Every pundit in the world is saying this is our best team in years (except the 17 yr old kid at bleacher report)- so I'm not too worried. There is probably someone lurking out there for the late signing period.

bostonzagfan
11-11-2011, 09:11 AM
let's all hope wiltjer doesn't start then?

gamagin
11-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Every pundit in the world is saying this is our best team in years (except the 17 yr old kid at bleacher report)- so I'm not too worried.

I'm worried about the curse of potential, versus the reality of inexperience. when so many make outlandish predicaments and agree, I begin to worry. Idle chatter, whether on espn or this board, is just that.

At least the 17 year old bleacher pundit offered that there wasn't much real experience (or depth) in the front court with the loss of Meech and SG. He's right. Love him or hate him, Meech won several critical games while others seemed to have disappeared.

Even though we are pinning a lot of hopes & expectations on DS & MC, plus those promising rookies, to take care of that situation, we won't really know who is fireproof, or at least fire resistant, until they are thrown in to the flames and thrive, not just survive.

We'll see.

DCZag
11-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Gamagin - not worried about recruiting during the early signing period. Don't take me out of context nor hijack what I said for your paranoid rant - the season starts tonight and we'll begin to see just where we are as a team.

gamagin
11-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Gamagin - not worried about recruiting during the early signing period. Don't take me out of context nor hijack what I said for your paranoid rant - the season starts tonight and we'll begin to see just where we are as a team.

If I misread what you said, I apologize. I reread your post a couple of times, after reading the above. I can see how it can be misconstrued. I hope you can, too. I read two separate statements, you claim you wrote only one.

As for my paranoid screed and hijacking, I thought I was attempting to put a sturdier foundation under a wobbly frame.

DCZag
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Gamagin - Bro, no harm no foul. When I post in a thread, I write only in the context of that thread - we have the deepest (though unproven) talent we've had in years - hence I'm not at all worried about no early signings. Now - how we gell as a team and reach that potential is for another thread

maynard g krebs
11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I've always had the feeling that Wiltjer is a transfer waiting to happen as soon as he committed to Kentucky without taking on official visit. Unfortunately, I think it will be to a BCS school on the west coast like Oregon. He would be close to home and would provide a boost for Dana Altman.

Altman has his high post 4 coming in next year, Ben Carter of Bishop Gorman in Vegas. I just watched a tape of their double ot game with Findlay Prep last year (on youtube- one of the best hs games I've ever seen) and Carter was exceptional- plays a lot of point forward at 6-8 or 9, can handle it against elite talent and pass. He brought the ball up the court against Findlay's press. Much better than the 3 stars, #26 position rating scout gives him- those guys overrate athleticism and underrate skill and savvy. They could play together, I guess, but after seeing Carter, Wiltjer would be more or less a duplicate player. I see Carter as a foundational player for Altman's style, and it might be dicey to bring in Wiltjer, essentially recruiting over Carter. Altman presses 40 min, so he needs a backline shotblocker. It's hard to see the Carter/Wiltjer on the same roster.