PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell Jr speculation

Zagdog71
11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Seems surprising that throughout the summer and early fall that there has not been more discussion of Gary Bell Jr. (his potential, his role, weaknesses, adjustments, etc.) Lots of debate, speculation, and rumors focused on Pangos and Spangler but not Bell. This is puzzling. Why isn't he getting mentioned more on this board?

TheGonzagaFactor
11-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Because talking about two new guys we have barely seen is enough, and it seems that his playing time and role are less in doubt than the other newcomers.

BobZag
11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't know what to say. There should be more speculation on Gary. I agree.

Zagdog71
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I remember all the hype about Bol Kong coming, but I don't hear anything from the Kool-Aid crowd about GBJ.

JLGutrocks
11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't know what to say. There should be more speculation on Gary. I agree.

Yeah. I agree too.

MDABE80
11-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Not much. He DOES have a new girlfriend though;) And he can dunk at will. And........he's a superior kid. And.........

Billfish'80
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Personally, I have not seen enough from Gary to get me talking. Now, Spang and Pang, even Drang, There's something to talk about! I think GBJr is still just getting the benefit of the doubt from everyone because of the incoming expectations for so long. He will spark some discussion once games start, and he gets playing time. If he doesn't begin to get us talking for four or five games, then I might be more disappointed, but I still think he'll give us plenty to talk about in the next couple of weeks. Not worried yet.

sweezag
11-08-2011, 04:34 PM
"Huh?"

- Nate Dern

PFzag
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Does anybody else think Gary is having trouble adjusting to playing off the ball?

I know he played Point in High School and pretty much everything flowed through him. When I've watched him in the two scrimmages, he seems to stand around a lot on offense. I think he will pick it up because he is really talented, it might not be as smooth as a transition as some of us thought though.

Therunner
11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I LOVE to speculate just to speculate about speculation. Good times 'round here.

I will say Coach Few said GBJ is affected by nerves more than any player on the roster.

We know he's a good one, yet unfortunately, he's been the least productive of the 'Fast-5' at this juncture.

I have an inkling its gonna change in a hurry. Coach Few & Co had good reason to start him in KiK & in our lone exhibition.

Overall, He needs to settle WAAAYYYY down on the court...he'll be fine. We kinda need him to be fine.

tobizag
11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
gary is what, 18? he's played in 0 meaningful games. and we're already saying he isn't living up to expectations?

maybe instead of 4 or 5 games, we give this guy a few years before we decide how to define his college career

Demetri Awesome
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Gary's a great addition just seems like a consistent player. Once things settle out and the rotation is set I think we'll get a better idea. But lets remember folks these guys are freshman, go easy and give them some time to find themselves on the court.

U Zig, I Zag
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
In some ways he is the 'gimme' player. As great as some of the other incoming kids are they still spur discussion on where they might fit in, are they developed enough for D1, etc. I think there has been just an overall even expectation for Gary that he won't RS, he will play the 1, 2 and maybe the 3 if called upon, his build and body type are what we expect and what we want coming from an elite player.

I think we just assume that he will be great (and will be). The lack of chatter (minus the Carroll postgame banter - he looked a little off, yes) is more a sign that there are fewer questions about GBJ and where he will fit.

Rbo
11-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I have not speculated on any of the newcomers because I have not seen enough of them. I saw Pangos on TV playing in some All-Star game, but it was just a glimpse and he did not wow me. You can't extrapolate a peek-a-boo view into the eventual success of an NCAA career. I had hoped to catch a glimpse of Gary Bell Jr. too, in action, but I never made it to any of his games. My bad. I'm eagerly awaiting to see what they bring to the court at GU!

RenoZag
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
gary is what, 18? he's played in 0 meaningful games. and we're already saying he isn't living up to expectations?

maybe instead of 4 or 5 games, we give this guy a few years before we decide how to define his college career

. . .but it isn't likely. Come 11-11-11, a new season of armchair quarterbacking will ensue. It's the nature of sports fans and the nature of ( some ) observers to scrutinize these hardwood warriors in ways that rob the joy from a simple game that should provide a welcome two hour respite, once or twice a week, from the daily grind. . .

Juskickenit2
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Give it a rest guys. Give him time. I personally am rather proud of all of us for not having built his fame to Kong status. Let him earn it. I'm sure he will. All in good time.

willandi
11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
GBJ IS TRANSFERING?????ALL READY?????

Just kidding!

Johnnygu
11-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I agree that it's refreshing that we're not getting excited before there is anything to be excited about.

sonuvazag
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I find a thread that invites speculation about a lack of speculation refreshing. More honest that way.

This may be off topic, so forgive me, but I have a theory about KO redshirting. Back when Dower and KO were freshmen, both wanted to redshirt but Few wouldn't allow it. They flipped a coin, one would go as a freshman. One as a junior. The rest is history.

Back to Gary... there's nothing to speculate because he's money in the bank.

NotoriousZ
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
...Back to Gary... there's nothing to speculate because he's money in the bank.

Bell to Pangos. Pangos to Bell. It's all good. Money. Four years of it.

Three days...11/11/11

Johnnygu
11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Actually, to be honest, since he still has not played a game that counts, I'm wondering if Bell can consistently score at this level in his Freshman year. He didn't really seem to be asserting himself and looking to score in the exhibition. I hope to see Bell be more aggressive, but not trying to force anything. I thought Gray and Bouldin could be very passive at times, and I hope the Zags are done with that.

TheZagPhish
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
GBJ has the very best smile on the team. Prove me wrong.

bostonzagfan
11-09-2011, 05:02 AM
I think Bell is seen as the "surest thing" out of the freshman, so less people talked about him. Most people were probably in agreement that he is going to be a starter/major contributor this year. On the other hand, there has been much debate about Pangos vs stockton at starting at pg, and about Spangler getting minutes vs redshirting

CDC84
11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm still wondering just how many people really hyped Bol Kong on this board? Can you hype a player if you just post an article about him from a newspaper? I don't recall a single post from anyone that proclaimed him to be the next Michael Jordan. They just said he had some talent and ability, which was true. Bol had a chance to be a very, very good player. But talent and ability are worthless if you lack passion for the game, and that's something none of us posters could've detected before his arrival at GU.

GBJ has that passion.

GBJ is a player who has actually been seen but multiple people on this board who know basketball. And they've seen him play multiple games. The reason why there hasn't been much "speculation" about him is because: a) certain people are mistakenly evaluating him based on his play in a single lousy exhibition game b) the people who have seen him play feel very comfortable with letting his play speak on the court....which it eventually will.......

Reborn
11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I believe Gary Bell was the Washington State player of the year last year. The last GU player to receive that kind of recognition was Steven Gray. I speculate that Bell will be as good as or better than Steven was. Steven had a pretty good Freshman year and I speculate that Gary Bell Jr will too. I'm really excited to see him in action. I think you will see a different Gary Bell Friday night then you saw in the exhibition season. Gary can drive to the hoop and draw fouls with the best of them. He can dribble into the middle and hit the pull up jumper. I speculate he scores in double figures Friday night, and we see a very good defensive player as well. Speculation ends Friday nigtht. Go Gary!!!! Go Zags!!!

kitzbuel
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I speculate that his father's name is Gary Bell.....sr.

i'm 99.9% sure you are right.

TacomaZAG
11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
people are so hungry for anything ZAG basketball that they are chewing on their own limbs. As others have said, GBJ is a freshman who was "all-world" at his high school. Due to that, everything ran through him and he controlled the action. He is now part of a team comprised of guys who were all "all-world" in HS, so there are multiple adjustments to be made on the court, in addition to off it.

How about we wait until at least the start of the conference season, and hopefully until the end of the season or beyond, before anointing him the next MJ or throwing him on the scrap heap.

Give the kid some time, give all the kids some time...............

Go ZAGS

gozagswoohoo
11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I speculize that Gary will be fun to watch.

cjm720
11-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I speculate he will be a very very good player for our program. Can't wait to see some more this Friday!!

maynard g krebs
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
As others have said, GBJ is a freshman who was "all-world" at his high school. Due to that, everything ran through him and he controlled the action. He is now part of a team comprised of guys who were all "all-world" in HS, so there are multiple adjustments to be made on the court, in addition to off it.

Give the kid some time, give all the kids some time...............

Go ZAGS

Exactly. Few has said GBJ has been nervous. My speculation, again, is that it's his nature to be really consciencious about trying to do what the coaches want, he's processing a lot of new info, and as a result he's played tentatively so far. Exactly when everyone will see the player some of us have seen is an open question, but everyone will see that player, sooner than later.

zaguarxj
11-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I'll speculate that Gary Bell will inspire the following headlines:

1. Bell Rings Up 20 pts in Zags Win
2. Bell a Beast in Beauty of a Game
3. Bell a Rung Above
4. Bell Chimes in on Upcoming Game

04ZagFan
11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I think it's because he was an ESPN top 50 recruit, recruited by just about every major PAC 12 program, and has been expected to be a big contributor from day 1.. Highly touted prospect.

Pangos and Spangler were under the radar guys that we hope can be just like the majority of Gonzaga stars of the past. Come out of nowhere. Morrison, Dickau, Santangelo, Frahm, ect, ect, ect.

zaguarxj
11-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I forgot one:

5. Few Says Zags Need More (Cow)Bell

ID ZAGFAN
11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I forgot one:

6. Zags Bell the Cats (against BYU, WSU, Arizona, etc.)

ZaGranny

bballbeachbum
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
can't wait to see him play

LynetteG
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I forgot one:

Got the prescription for you right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsUf_oIgp0&feature=related)