PDA

View Full Version : Meehan: Harris sheds pounds

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Gonzaga hopes to benefit from new, leaner look

Harris went home to Germany for about six weeks at the conclusion of the school year. He returned to Spokane, skipped playing on the German national team during the summer and dedicated himself to conditioning and working on his game.

“Being lighter contributes to my game because I’m a player that uses quickness and speed and balance,” he said. “I feel bouncier and quicker with my moves. I didn’t lose my strength.

“For me, that’s a perfect combination.”

More from Meehan: HERE. (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/07/zags-harris-sheds-pounds/)

MDABE80
11-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Looks like a lot more than 11 lbs. Likely he lost more but turned flab into muscle which is heavier.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
A Coach Few comment re: the RS'ing process:

“It’s a day-to-day situation as to who is playing better and who is helping us,” Few said. “It has to be (the player’s) call, it’s their career. What I can do is try to advise them and then that’s where it gets tricky because we’re really trying to project what’s going to happen a month from now, two months from now.”

Therunner
11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Baldwinzag posted this on October 10th:

I wonder if we realize E practiced in less than 5 practices before the 2010 season began -- most get 25-30 practices -- and didn't practice more than once per week til Xmas break. He was pretty much on a "games only" regime during OOC. His shoulder was nagging him and his achilles was constantly sore until half-way through WCC play...

I'm not sure if it was the 3 months he spent in Germany last summer or what, but a **fellow peer & player said his diet was terrible and notorious for "the worst on the team".

The only difference he made was staying in Spokane for the Summer to actually work-out(never had a chance in Germany) and dramatic changes to his daily nutrition. In certain instances it can make a world of difference. I don't think he lost much 'weight' to be honest, but is just in better shape and healthier overall.

He'll tell you himself the key was changing his diet. The off-season rehab probably didn't hurt either...

** That "source" coming through once again...

hooter73
11-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Just imagine if in his first summer he had have done what he did this summer... or dont - lock out or not I dont think he'd be here still if he had have exploded his sophomore year. Looking for good things form him this year. Maybe even a little defense too.

Therunner
11-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Just imagine if in his first summer he had have done what he did this summer... or dont - lock out or not I dont think he'd be here still if he had have exploded his sophomore year. Looking for good things form him this year. Maybe even a little defense too.

Hate to admit it, yet his Frosh off-season of burgers, brats, & pop could be a blessing in disguise for Gonzaga this season.

;)

CDC84
11-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Maintaining a proper diet as an athlete is not as easy as some people think. You can get away with bloody murder in a lot of ways because you are burning off so many calories. But I think everyone realizes that burgers, brats and pop are not the best thing for an athlete. But don't tell Jeremy Pargo that....especially the part about the burgers.....:)

zagfan24
11-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Maintaining a proper diet as an athlete is not as easy as some people think. You can get away with bloody murder in a lot of ways because you are burning off so many calories.

Plus, you're in college. I maintained a pretty steady diet of Safeway Chinese, Ionic Burrito, and D'Lish during my years at GU, and for athletes with a busy schedule, fast food has to be tempting.

bullzag23
11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Plus, you're in college. I maintained a pretty steady diet of Safeway Chinese, Ionic Burrito, and D'Lish during my years at GU, and for athletes with a busy schedule, fast food has to be tempting.

Mine included a heavy dose of Ramen, quesadillas, and chili dogs from the vendors outside of the Bulldog....I think that pretty much explains why i gained the weight that I did in school :D

webspinnre
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Freshman year I gained something like 15 pounds in the first semester, despite playing club ultimate frisbee. This was largely due to the excellent COG breakfasts including belgian waffles and the omelet bar. Going home for Christmas break and actually having a scale and seeing people's reactions was quite the wakeup call.

zagzilla
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Who else remembers Chad's chicken sandwiches and Packy's burgers late night? If you do, you're in your 40's :-)

ZZ

gozagswoohoo
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Harris sheds pounds??

My dog sheds HAIR, a TON of it. Ugh. I wish he shed pounds.....and I lived in Britain.

englishzag
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
There was nothing like 2 footlong Philly cheesesteak sandos, washed down with a coke and then a trip to Recorded Memories. Even the super intense rugby practices could burn off the 5,000+ calorie meals.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Who else remembers Chad's chicken sandwiches and Packy's burgers late night? If you do, you're in your 40's :-)

ZZ

I must say the Chad's "Chicken San" was the best. Also we used to watch out the front window from Jack and Dan's to see when Chad's was about to close at 1 a.m. or whatever. We would run over there and Chad or Eric would give us all the ribs for a buck. Those were the days!

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Has Jonah Hill's game also improved?

RenoZag
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
I remember Paki's cheeseburgers. . .wish I was still in my 40's. . .