PDA

View Full Version : shhhhhh!!

jazzdelmar
11-05-2011, 06:30 PM
any word?

Malastein
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm hoping to find some good links to the Texas board in the AM after I foolishly run a half marathon...

jazzdelmar
11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping to find some good links to the Texas board in the AM after I foolishly run a half marathon...

awesome, mal. my p.r. is 1:37. go out sloooooooow....

gozagswoohoo
11-05-2011, 09:58 PM
The only word coming to mind for me right now....

murder

Jedster
11-05-2011, 10:35 PM
The only word coming to mind for me right now....

murder

or is it redrum.....

Shhhh.....

ZagAddict
11-06-2011, 07:37 AM
It was that bad? WSU is going to be an early test for GU... just like SDSU last year. We'll all know a lot more after next week.

Salsageek
11-06-2011, 07:43 AM
this sux. It's Sunday morning and my kids are being good. I came on here hoping to read about the game. All I see is a whole lot a nothing. :mad:

Zig-Zag
11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
For those who didn't here it was a Blow OUT.

ZagNative
11-06-2011, 09:28 AM
For those who didn't here it was a Blow OUT.Were we the blowees or the blowers?

DADoZAG
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Were we the blowees or the blowers?

Exactly, ZN.

I had a blow out driving my '58 Chevy on the freeway back in 1973. It was pretty unnerving but at least I didn't wreck my first car.

It took me about the same time to write the sentence above as it took Zig-Zag, but has several times the info.

Stop smoking yourself and give up the intel!

Go ZAGS!

Zig-Zag
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I thought this thread was on NEW YORK MARATHON!!! Sorry guys, couldn't resist getting "the heart rate up"

hooter73
11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
any word?

boobs.

t minus 1.5 hours till I may or may not have news.

cant wait till we play EWU and all the crazy starts on here again.

awberke
11-06-2011, 09:56 AM

You sir, deserve to be shot.

DADoZAG
11-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I thought this thread was on NEW YORK MARATHON!!! Sorry guys, couldn't resist getting "the heart rate up"

Well, I guess you got me, but my post about smoking yourself seems more accurate than I thought it would be at the time.

Pay back's a b!tch.

Have a great day, Zig-Zag.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm guessing we coulda won by 20 but I'm guessing half that. All we can do is guess and hope and wish, and that's mine.

DADoZAG
11-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm guessing we coulda won by 20 but I'm guessing half that. All we can do is guess and hope and wish, and that's mine.

If I was to find out that the ZAGS were up by twenty at one point and then coasted to a 10 point victory, I would feel like many of my wishes had come true. But I realize that type of scenario is all hypothetical.

One could also hypothesize that scenario might keep things pretty quiet on the prairie in fear of peeing on the celebration camp fire following the big football victory.

I got the feeling this past week that a question on many posterís minds was how the ZAGS perimeter D might fair against an athletic group like Texas has.

Now, just thinking to myself, Iím wondering what BZ might guess and hope for in regard to that?

Go ZAGS!

Malastein
11-06-2011, 02:41 PM
awesome, mal. my p.r. is 1:37. go out sloooooooow....

I don't remember what my p.r. is at all, but I'd guess in the mid 1:40s. Today I did it in unofficially in 2:20. Took about 5 minutes to get started, and the Golden Gate bridge got so congested that I was stopped on it for probably another 5 minutes, which made me cramp up further when I started back running. Haven't ran much in the past few years, and barely trained for this so I'm happy to have ran 99% of when I could. Now I'll be walking around like an old man for a few days.

I guess the leaks are slow to spill this year, but indications are that the Zags won. Who knows though...

jazzdelmar
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
[
Congrats, Mal. Enjoy the afterglow.

QUOTE=Malastein;693157]I don't remember what my p.r. is at all, but I'd guess in the mid 1:40s. Today I did it in unofficially in 2:20. Took about 5 minutes to get started, and the Golden Gate bridge got so congested that I was stopped on it for probably another 5 minutes, which made me cramp up further when I started back running. Haven't ran much in the past few years, and barely trained for this so I'm happy to have ran 99% of when I could. Now I'll be walking around like an old man for a few days.

I guess the leaks are slow to spill this year, but indications are that the Zags won. Who knows though...[/QUOTE]

sittingon50
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
On the LMU site, there's a link to the Las Vegas Sun that gives quite a bit of info regarding the Lions/UNLV scrimmage, including quotes from the Rebels Coach.

Will the dawns board be alerting the NCAA?

MDABE80
11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Has anyone confirmed there, indeed, was a scrimmage in Denver? Just seems to odd and nobody seems to know...on campus, the press or on the Texas board. Just kinda unusual when two ranked programs have a scrum and nobody's got much to say...

SOMEBODY'S got to know something....

thespywhozaggedme
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I'd be shocked if we lost. Texas is gonna be awful this year, may not even make the big dance.

JIMMYMAC
11-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Haven't heard anything else, only that he was on a layover in Denver and looked up to see Mark Few and the fellas waiting for the same flight. He had that on his FB so I asked him to get the skinny. No FB reply yet.

NotoriousZ
11-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Haven't heard anything else, only that he was on a layover in Denver and looked up to see Mark Few and the fellas waiting for the same flight. He had that on his FB so I asked him to get the skinny. No FB reply yet.

No private jet this time? This must have been one of those super double secret scrimmages.

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2011, 06:27 AM

That's because he was in the process of replying, and giving you the 'inside scoop' on the scrimmage, and the ncaa found out about it......now your friend has been MURDERED. Which means he won't be replying.

EuroZag2010
11-07-2011, 06:41 AM
That's because he was in the process of replying, and giving you the 'inside scoop' on the scrimmage, and the ncaa found out about it......now your friend has been MURDERED. Which means he won't be replying.

Just saw Coach D at the MAC i dont know how much help that is to your investigation on the scrimmage hahah lol:cheers:

Zagcity
11-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I heard it from a friend, that heard it from a friend, that heard it from a friend, that its been changed to a different bat day. But its still the same bat gym, same bat time and the same bat channel. ;)

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2011, 08:03 AM
OH CRAP!!!

Guys, this is getting serious. I just obtained this screen shot of the security footage at the airport where JIMMYMAC's friend had tried to ask Coach Few about the scrimmage!! No wonder JIMMYMAC can't get a hold of his friend!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/murder.jpg

MURDER

Montzag
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/longhorns-basketball-team-welcomes-the-lack-of-respect-1013734.html

Pargo the Destroyer
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I want to live In a world where blue clouds are prevalent.

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
I want to live In a world where blue clouds are prevalent.

This caught my eye as well. I'm sure it has something to do with this picture being just a screen shot from an airport security camera. But yeah, totally weird, I agree...

ZagMania
11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/longhorns-basketball-team-welcomes-the-lack-of-respect-1013734.html

I think that is about last years scrim?

CDC84
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Texas wishes it still had Jordan Hamilton and Tristan Thompson.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM

^ That was last year...

Zero, Zilch, Nada this year. I'm actually impressed with the lack of information being offered -- true to their word -- a 'closed' scrimmage.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Who knew Coach Lloyd AND Coach Daniels doubled as body guards!?

kitzbuel
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Now, now, now Woohoo. Let's not be getting hysterical with all the murder talk. As one of the Mods you know perfectly well that scope of our charter is to do nothing more than mitigate risks.

kitzbuel
11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
BTW, I didn't get any spears issued. Do they keep them in their pants?

BobZag
11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
You'd all be very happy if you heard how das Zags did. BIGs time happy.

Pure
11-07-2011, 09:11 AM

BobZag = Bigs Tease McGee !!!

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2011, 09:17 AM

SUCH A TEASE BZ!!!

Someone, quick, toss me a spear.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Literally, nothing has been said...

Both teams, players, assistants, coaches have been mum on the subject. First time in 3 seasons in which no word/impressions have leaked.

I suppose they learned the hard way in yrs past with reporters and/or message boards providing hear-say reports, "it sounded like this happened....or Rob Sacre had 28 pts!(yes, but over 3 20 minutes sessions), so & so was the 'best player on the court'", and other random statements... Too much risk of fake reports and / or mis-quoted comments.

The ONLY thing I've heard and even the source I know has said nothing, other than "it was a good time". They've evidently been coached to remain close to the vest following this scrimmage.

Oh wait, I did hear Marquise was "limited" in the scrimmage due to an undisclosed illness. So, presumably, our Frosh guards got a good run with Carter out...

awberke
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Can someone explain to me why the NCAA would want this information to remain closed?

DADoZAG
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

This, and the fact that the ZAGS "had a good time..." is enough for me.

Is it Friday yet?

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
11-07-2011, 09:38 AM
The NCAA Rules and the Rules of Golf and the Income Tax rules only make sense to those that wrote them....maybe, not even them..

Malastein
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Can someone explain to me why the NCAA would want this information to remain closed?

So that fans will still want to watch the first couple games of the seasaon, duh.

BobZag
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Pay close attention to DadoZag's post and his bold-lettered words. He might be onto something.

primal23
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Pay close attention to DadoZag's post and his bold-lettered words. He might be onto something.

IIRC Texas is going to be forced to play smaller, and are more guards then bigs. It was either Parrish or Goodman I think that mentioned this. So I was really interested in hearing what the guards might have done.

DENTZAG
11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
das = Dower and Sacre ?

NEC26
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
das = Dower and Sacre ?

My guess is that being das is a German word that Elias had a good game(possibly over 20 points) and that GU ended up winning by ten but possibly were up by as much as twenty.

ID ZAGFAN
11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
How about

we coulda won by 20 (E's #), but I'm guessing half that 10 (Guy Landry Edi's #)

Maybe E played well, but Guy came in for him and also played well?

:p

ZaGranny

sonuvazag
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
My guess is that being das is a German word that Elias had a good game(possibly over 20 points) and that GU ended up winning by ten but possibly were up by as much as twenty.
and Monninghoff, perhaps.

willandi
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
The NCAA Rules and the Rules of Golf and the Income Tax rules only make sense to those that wrote them....maybe, not even them..

Can you even begin to imagine how the game of basketball would be if fouls were self called? A game of honor between gentlemen? literally, no death no foul!

Totally agree about taxes and the NCAA tho!

sonuvazag
11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Can you even begin to imagine how the game of basketball would be if fouls were self called? A game of honor between gentlemen? literally, no death no foul!
And that's why I don't like to play at the park.

NEC26
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
And that's why I don't like to play at the park.

Lol now thats the truth or you get the guy who calls a foul whenever he misses because he is so good he could not possibly have missed without being fouled.

kitzbuel
11-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Lol now thats the truth or you get the guy who calls a foul whenever he misses because he is so good he could not possibly have missed without being fouled.
And conversely, every block he makes is clean, all ball and you are flopping as you try to put your shoulder back into its socket.

bostonzagfan
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
just give us the goods bobzag!

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
just give us the goods bobzag!

Yeah BZ! C'mon!! We promise not to tell ANYBODY!

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Twitter.

Following the Cal vs St Mary's "closed" scrimmage last week:

From Coach J Montgomery's twitter feed(3 tweets):

"Watching the scrimmage vs St. Mary's. Gutierrez led us in scoring w/ 18 pts, Crabbe had 17 & Kamp had 13 - lots to work on!"

"They all played solid ... They[St Mary's] were big inside and we struggled on the glass..."

"A good learning experience ... We have some good film and a gage (sic) of what we need to work on..."

Will the NCAA come a knockin' on Cal's door?

willandi
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
"Twitter.

Quote:

"Watching the scrimmage vs St. Mary's. Gutierrez led us in scoring w/ 18 pts, Crabbe had 17 & Kamp had 13 - lots to work on!"

"They all played solid ... They[St Mary's] were big inside and we struggled on the glass..."

"A good learning experience ... We have some good film and a gage (sic) of what we need to work on..."

Will the NCAA come a knockin' on Cal's door?"

Shouldn't be a problem with the NCAA since it's Mike Montgomery that coaches Cal!

Baldwinzag
11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with the NCAA since it's Mike Montgomery that coaches Cal!

True.

Coach Mike Montgomery is, indeed, the Head Coach; however, Coach [J]ohn Montgomery is an Asst Coach at Cal.

The SMC/Cal scrimmage commentary was from his Twitter account.

willandi
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
True.

Coach Mike Montgomery is, indeed, the Head Coach; however, Coach [J]ohn Montgomery is an Asst Coach at Cal.

The SMC/Cal scrimmage commentary was from his Twitter account.

Didn't know that. Apologies extended, if needed!

Therunner
11-08-2011, 05:13 AM
"Twitter.

Quote:

Will the NCAA come a knockin' on Cal's door?"

Interesting...

Cal coachers were impressed and praising SMC's front-court?

Their guards(Matthew Delly, Stephen Holt, Jorden Page, Jordan Guisti) and forwards(Rob Jones, Clint Steindl) are their strength, but post players are stepping up BIG-time with 6'9", 235lb Mitchell Young, 6'9", 235lb Tim Williams, 6'10", 245lb Kenton Walker, and 7'0", 280lb Big-10 transfer Kyle Rowley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5nefZ9dDY&feature=youtu.be&t=2m17s) (recruited by Ohio St, Pitt, Wisconsin, Baylor, Marquette, Georgetown).

Heard they whooped up on Pac-12's #1 Team(via Coaches poll) in their one scrimmage. Too bad we haven't heard anything about ours...

Man, they're gonna be gooood this year. Yes, they lost McConnell, but return their remaining Top-6 scorers/producers, Jorden Page is back from a season-ending injury, & 7-footer Kyle Rowley is now eligible to play, not to mention Holt is another yr older.

This is the best Gaels team we've ever seen, imo.

They FINALLY have the depth and man-power to hang with us for an entire game. Yes, they would win by exceptional shooting and savvy guard play in the past, now, they have the "horses" to bang, foul, and rebound with us, along with the same 'ol Zag killing guard play.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Interesting...

Cal coachers were impressed and praising SMC's front-court?

Their guards(Matthew Delly, Stephen Holt, Jorden Page, Jordan Guisti) and forwards(Rob Jones, Clint Steindl) are their strength, but post players are stepping up BIG-time with 6'9", 235lb Mitchell Young, 6'9", 235lb Tim Williams, 6'10", 245lb Kenton Walker, and 7'0", 280lb Big-10 transfer Kyle Rowley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5nefZ9dDY&feature=youtu.be&t=2m17s) (recruited by Ohio St, Pitt, Wisconsin, Baylor, Marquette, Georgetown).

Heard they whooped up on Pac-12's #1 Team(via Coaches poll) in their one scrimmage. Too bad we haven't heard anything about ours...

Man, they're gonna be gooood this year. Yes, they lost McConnell, but return their remaining Top-6 scorers/producers, Jorden Page is back from a season-ending injury, & 7-footer Kyle Rowley is now eligible to play, not to mention Holt is another yr older.

This is the best Gaels team we've ever seen, imo.

They FINALLY have the depth and man-power to hang with us for an entire game. Yes, they would win by exceptional shooting and savvy guard play in the past, now, they have the "horses" to bang, foul, and rebound with us, along with the same 'ol Zag killing guard play.

Think so? Patty Mills, Diamon Simpson and Fatburger might have something to say bout that. Let's let them play someone first before declaring "best ever".......and by the looks of that schedule, that won't happen til the first meeting with Gonzaga.

hooter73
11-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Think so? Patty Mills, Diamon Simpson and Fatburger might have something to say bout that. Let's let them play someone first before declaring "best ever".......and by the looks of that schedule, that won't happen til the first meeting with Gonzaga.

Ha! excellent.

Therunner
11-08-2011, 07:02 AM

I do.

I think its the 'best' Gael team to match-up, player to player, with Gonzaga.

As far as their schedule goes, I couldn't agree more.

St Mary's is setting themselves up for disaster with their OOC. The committee favors a "body of work" and its all about "who you've played".

I cannot believe they've gambled their entire post-season hopes on WINNING the WCC Tourney. Its asinine when you really think about it.

Even if they win the regular season, w/let's say 3 or 4 losses, they still aren't a lock, imho. Beating BYU & maybe Gonzaga at home isn't enough, especially considering they're Conference foes.

The Gaels could end up 29-4 and NOT make the Tourney, and if they do, a 12-seed or worse could be waiting for them ala 2010-2011 Utah State(29-3 and a 12-seed)

titopoet
11-08-2011, 07:21 AM
I do.

I think its the 'best' Gael team to match-up, player to player, with Gonzaga.

As far as their schedule goes, I couldn't agree more.

St Mary's is setting themselves up for disaster with their OOC. The committee favors a "body of work" and its all about "who you've played".

I cannot believe they've gambled their entire post-season hopes on WINNING the WCC Tourney. Its asinine when you really think about it.

Even if they win the regular season, w/let's say 3 or 4 losses, they still aren't a lock, imho. Beating BYU & maybe Gonzaga at home isn't enough, especially considering they're Conference foes.

The Gaels could end up 29-4 and NOT make the Tourney, and if they do, a 12-seed or worse could be waiting for them ala 2010-2011 Utah State(29-3 and a 12-seed)

They didn't. No one wants to play them. Too big a downside for teams to chance losing to St Mary. Gonzaga can because they built a national base and bring ESPN to the table. Take Cal. Have SMC come and chance a loss or bring in an lower Pepperdine (say) that all but insures a W. SMC is in that in between stage, too good for people to risk, but not big enough name to bring ESPN. Hence they have trouble filling out OCC.

Billfish'80
11-08-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't agree Tito. I think SMC has been given a lot of respect by fans accross the country too. A top 30-50 team from a BCS school who is playing SMC would be a big time upset potential. There would be great interest in SMC by TV and the public. They either didn't want to play, or demanded too much (home and Home) or something like that. People would love to see another "little guy does good". They would be a quality win/ resume booster for a bubble team from BCS conferences. Someone would have played them if they were asked without strings. We did that for years. SMC is just hoping to skip that step.

Therunner
11-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't agree Tito. I think SMC has been given a lot of respect by fans accross the country too. A top 30-50 team from a BCS school who is playing SMC would be a big time upset potential. There would be great interest in SMC by TV and the public. They either didn't want to play, or demanded too much (home and Home) or something like that. People would love to see another "little guy does good". They would be a quality win/ resume booster for a bubble team from BCS conferences. Someone would have played them if they were asked without strings. We did that for years. SMC is just hoping to skip that step.

Yep, St Mary's believes they already deserve or earned our[Gonzaga] type of OOC schedule.

It doesn't happen overnight, one NCAA appearance, or in 3 good seasons.

They've went on record as saying they refuse "non-guarantee games, road-only, one time neutral-site matches, no home & home agreements, etc"...

We have simply earned the respect and paid our dues. They have not -- yet.

Gonzaga spend 7 or 8 seasons playing road-only, no-guarantee, one time away games, no home-&-home agreements...we won some, lost some, but exposure took hold. Fortunately, we won enough games to earn enough respect from the BCS team. We have become "big boy" now and are no longer a lose-lose type of game. Its also why we receive invites to the Pre-Season tourney's as well.

As long as St Mary's believes they deserve more and continue to eat their cake, they'll never get teams to come to Moraga or even home & home agreements or neutral site games vs the Elite.

Its their loss...and last year wasn't enough for them to learn the hard way. Maybe this year will be?

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-08-2011, 08:18 AM
They didn't. No one wants to play them. Too big a downside for teams to chance losing to St Mary. Gonzaga can because they built a national base and bring ESPN to the table. Take Cal. Have SMC come and chance a loss or bring in an lower Pepperdine (say) that all but insures a W. SMC is in that in between stage, too good for people to risk, but not big enough name to bring ESPN. Hence they have trouble filling out OCC.

They can play good teams without playing home and home games against BCS teams. There are a lot of good mid-major programs that want to upgrade their schedules and would be thrilled to play a Top-50 program, like St. Mary's. Play the defending champions of lesser leagues. Play a bunch of twenty-win small conference teams.

DixieZag
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
SMC could have availed themselves of any of the 645 early season tournaments where you get to face a mid-level big 12 team, or Big 10 + 1 or 2, and somehow GU was able to simply go into other people's places and beat enough of them or come out with a "good loss" (UCLA, UW, and many that I am not recalling at this moment).

I don't think they have any excuse, are teams afraid to play them? Perhaps, but are there teams willing to pay them to come into their place and let them fight it out? I am pretty sure - and if SMC is "the best SMC team eva" then they owe it to their players to let them go out and prove it. I remember Few a few years ago saying something like - the kids on this team are very talented and we owed it to them to challenge them in every way.

Now, having said all that, I am going to go out and yell at clouds about our conference commissioner wanting to hack into Zag airplane parts.

MDABE80
11-08-2011, 12:13 PM
SMC will be a very good team with very good players. Likely the cupcake schedule was done with getting a 12=0 record and a ranking prior to the conference play. If they lose 3 or 4 in conference, they still finish with a dazzling record...ala Romar. They will get some attention.

They'll make the tournament. Strategy and tactics. Simple stuff really. Doesn't do much for national respect but it'll do. Somebody made a calculation that GU and BYU will be stronger than SMC or very close. Bennet's idea is to get his team in the NCAA tourney which didn't happen last year. Must be a big blow to fail like they did.

We have a bad night or two in conference, SMC could push ahead to the top. One thing's sure: they will have confidence after all those easy victories.... and some very good players. We have the bigs but they have a more experienced backcourt. It'll be tough to sweep them.

Nevtelen
11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I honestly have really enjoyed watching the SMC teams of the past several years and I really do wish they'd have put together a better schedule for all the reasons mentioned above. Still, what a crazy-intense WCC season it's going to be if all these predictions come to pass...

BTW, are they in braket-busters this season?

rennis
11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Two reasons big boys don't want to play SMC:

RPI - until SMC plays a tough schedule, their RPI is going to drag everyone down with them, including the big guys. A loss to a low-mid RPI St. Mary's team, from a BCS school, looks reeeeeeally bad if you're on the bubble. This is where Bennett is blowing it, if you ask me.

#2 - McKeon is a DUMP.

zagzilla
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I guess it depends on whether your goal is to just make the dance or advance deep into the bracket. Feels like the former for SMC. Remember they keep saying that they have a 4 year streak with 25+ wins so the strategy appears to emphasize quantity over quality. Fair enough.

I think SMC has a decent shot at getting at-large bid if they have 5 losses or fewer and can get a split out of BYU & GU while getting to WCC tourney finals. Likely a double digit seed and clearly taking some chances but they will have 23-25 wins in all likelihood.

This year's schedule feels perfect for GU. Tough but with less travel and more tests from a stronger slate of conference opponents in February. If we can peak at the right time some things could fall into place.

ZZ

Pargo the Destroyer
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
St. Mary's wants big boy status but doesnt want to earn it. I remember a mantra taken up by a program a long time ago....what was it......anytime, anywhere.....seems to have done wonders for said program. Riding the coat tails of beating said program a handful of times in the past decade doesn't give you status. Sorry Gaels. Gotta do better than the Sisters of the Poor and Woohoo's alma mater, Northeast Missourah Academy of the Arts.

rennis
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I think SMC has a decent shot at getting at-large bid if they have 5 losses or fewer and can get a split out of BYU & GU while getting to WCC tourney finals. Likely a double digit seed and clearly taking some chances but they will have 23-25 wins in all likelihood.

This calculation is also fraught with peril. What happens if you end up playing GU or BYU in the semi's and LOSE? Buh-bye at-large chances, almost without a doubt.

maynard g krebs
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
RPI - until SMC plays a tough schedule, their RPI is going to drag everyone down with them, including the big guys. A loss to a low-mid RPI St. Mary's team, from a BCS school, looks reeeeeeally bad if you're on the bubble. This is where Bennett is blowing it, if you ask me.

Simply categorically untrue. Fifty percent of RPI is opponents' record, so if you play a SMC team that is, say, 24-5, it is a boost to your RPI even if they play a weak schedule, as opponents' opponents sched is only 25%. And SMC's RPI isn't "low-mid RPI", it's around top 50.

zagzilla
11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
This calculation is also fraught with peril. What happens if you end up playing GU or BYU in the semi's and LOSE? Buh-bye at-large chances, almost without a doubt.

Totally agree. As I said, they are taking a big chance with that strategy because so many things can go wrong. WCC Semi loss, Bracket buster loss, bad night on the road in WCC (Portland has been brutal for them lately), etc... Then you wind up with a 2 seed in the NIT and they haven't forgotten how that went for them last year.

I expect they will be about as good as last year but not as good as the Patty Mills, HamSan, Diamon team.