PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Bauermann on Elias Harris

ZagNative
11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I wish I spoke German, because though I appreciate that Google translator gives me something, it isn't perfect. Here's a piece (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Elias%2BHarris%2522%2B-guboards%2B-slipperstillfits%2B-Ballin%2527%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26clien t%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D553%26tbs%3Dqdr:d %26prmd%3Dimvnso&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&twu=1&u=http://sport.freenet.de/mehrsport/basketball/triangle-offense-der-basketballtalk-ein-massives-problem-fuer-die-nba_3029670_489936.html&usg=ALkJrhgAMXr8sPFIQick8itxBwQllgsCXQ) where Dirk Bauermann talks on a German language site about Elias and his future in basketball. (Talk about Elias is about 2/3rds of the way down:
Thesis: The NBA is Elias Harris a size too big.

Bauermann: Elias I wish to jump to the NBA, but if he fails, it would not be too bad. Quite honestly, I'm skeptical. He must work very hard on themselves and acquire a skill set that allows him to prevail in spite of its size in the NBA. His athleticism is outstanding compared to German, but we're talking about the NBA. In the U.S. there are probably thousands who have the same size and athletic as Elias. I do not know whether it's the right way to try it, despite its small size, not only as a small forward, but also as a power forward. He must know that the niche is extremely small. And he should know what it means to play against real NBA power forwards. One night against Nowitzki, the next night against Blake Griffin - for there not to come under the wheels, it must move itself in Charles-Barkley-dimensions.

Philip Dornhegge: If he is coming out before the start of the season with a ranking of the best college player at No. 20, which certainly has its reasons. The Americans trust him to the NBA, so you should certainly have hope. What irritates me somewhat to Harris: On the one hand, he compares himself with Shawn Marion, on the other hand, it has obvious shortcomings. He reminds me of Ademola Okulaja, who was also one of four in the body of a triple: moderate ball handling, expandable throw distance, but strong in basket nearby. Okulaja was once just before the jump to the NBA, but it failed at exactly this issue. And when you read a scouting report, I stumbled across a note that Harris has to thank the good rebound values ​​only his athleticism. But he shows great deficiencies in basic skills such as Ausboxen, his speed in the defense is not convincing. These things fall on any Scout, which can easily cost several places in the draft, maybe even the NBA career.

Bauermann: Basically I think it's good that a young player develops a vision shared with the coach and modeled his game on the basis of a known player. Ludwigsburg Johannes Lischka missed a game of the Dallas Mavericks, Robin Benzing ticking similar because they closely monitor Nowitzki plays. Therefore, it is true that Elijah takes a role model. I just do not know if Marion fits: Marion supposedly measures 2.01 meters such as Harris, but he is much bigger and plays it on a different level, especially defensively. It is true that Elias in the great national problems in defense behavior revealed. It has nothing to do with Elijah's attitude, but needs only a defensive mentality with him to develop, because he has never learned the basics. For example, how the ball carrier or ausboxt opponent keeps to himself and simply does not ausdribbeln. The same experience has also made the Gonzaga coaching staff, with whom I had contact.

Haruka Gruber: Despite all the problems: I do not see it as pessimistic. It will be crucial to whether Harris is really aware of how small the niche and that is it from the pool of undersized combo-forwards is very, very few create. Still, I keep my fingers crossed that he makes it. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute Milwaukee has demonstrated how do you get it in spite of similar size and similar weak and shaky ball-handling to throw a starter in the NBA. With the right fire it works maybe grab themselves one of the 10 to 15 jobs for Under-Sized Big-Men. At least he had the last interview, much cleaner and more mature than a year earlier. That gives me hope.

Florian Regelmann: This is the crucial point. It's not just about talent, but also to the right head on his shoulders. This aspect comes to me when judging a player very often much too short. I have the impression that Elias has found himself and goes with the right attitude in the crucial year of college. And at Gonzaga, he has good conditions, because he probably gets a bigger role and can produce correspondingly better stats than last year. The draft agreement is possible. At least in the second round, it should be pulled by a team that already own, hoping to land a steal with him.

Bauermann: The last year was in fact a cleansing effect for Elias. I can only emphasize that he has learned as a person. I do not anyway, whether it is doing so well these guys when they convince themselves early on saying that the NBA is the only way that they met as basketball players. For Elias it would be a success if he becomes a basketball player who gets a European top team in a good role. For the NBA have in my view Robin Benzing, Tibor Pleiss and the much better chances.

DADoZAG
11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I wish I spoke German...

Yea, what the heck are they referring to with "Ausboxen?" A quick internet search brings up pics of dogs!?

Other than that, this interview seems to mirror many posts on the mbb regarding E's chances in the league hinging on improving his handles and D due to his being undersized for a PF.

It's those missing attributes, my impression of E being a patient young man, and the bright future this team has for next year that make me think "Elijah" will have ZAGS on his chest for the 2012-13 season.

Another great find ZN. Thanx!

Go ZAGS!

NEC26
11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Yea, what the heck are they referring to with "Ausboxen?" A quick internet search brings up pics of dogs!?

Other than that, this interview seems to mirror many posts on the mbb regarding E's chances in the league hinging on improving his handles and D due to his being undersized for a PF.

It's those missing attributes, my impression of E being a patient young man, and the bright future this team has for next year that make me think "Elijah" will have ZAGS on his chest for the 2012-13 season.

Another great find ZN. Thanx!

Go ZAGS!
I do not know German but I would hazard a guess he is talking about boxing out for a rebound.

DADoZAG
11-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I do not know German but I would hazard a guess he is talking about boxing out for a rebound.

Vaahhhdy Innnnteddddeeessssding! (the only "German" I can remember and you've got to have a Laugh In your memory to know what I mean).

Tanx mang...

Go ZAGS!

Malastein
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Shawn Marion without the defense is what I pulled out of this.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
very candid and enlightened. quite different from the draft gurus on this side, for whom everyone is a lock.

gamagin
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
very candid and enlightened. quite different from the draft gurus on this side, for whom everyone is a lock.

dialing back to reality.

BobZag
11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Vaahhhdy Innnnteddddeeessssding! (the only "German" I can remember and you've got to have a Laugh In your memory to know what I mean).

Tanx mang...

Go ZAGS!

The bush just passed gas.

04ZagFan
11-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Shawn Marion without the defense is what I pulled out of this.

At this stage, not a bad comparison, although Elias is a lot smoother on offense.. Amazing that Marion has put up the offensive numbers he has in his career though. So awkward!

Like I've said before, if Elias can put the ball in the hoop, they'll be a place for him in the NBA. You don't have to have an obvious set in stone position to make it.