PDA

View Full Version : tex?

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 06:10 AM
any chance of eye witness reports (or 2nd eye reports) on tex scrim?

NotoriousZ
11-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Where are they playing it this year?

Radbooks
11-04-2011, 06:13 AM
The guy at Slipper Still Fits said he was going to try and find a way inside the building, but who knows if that will happen...

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 06:14 AM
i think its in denver....better to simulate an ncaa tourney game...makes sense...

gozagswoohoo
11-04-2011, 06:37 AM
We are not to speak of this scrimmage.

Anyone who speaks of it....will be MURDERED.

Anyone who reports back to the board about info from the scrimmage......MURDERED!!.

Anyone who has a thought pop into their head about the scrimmage.....MORE MURDER!!!!

BroncoZAG615
11-04-2011, 06:45 AM
The guy at Slipper Still Fits said he was going to try and find a way inside the building, but who knows if that will happen...

Funny story. We were served with a formal Cease and Desist letter from Gonzaga Athletics for LINKING an article written by Jeff Goodman about the Texas scrimmage. Par for the course, I guess.

I will make an attempt to invade the Pepsi Center though...

NotoriousZ
11-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Can't wait to read the reports, we'll definitely get a better feel for the team than we have thus far.

Info has leaked out of every Texas scrimmage so far--mostly from the Tex side. ;)

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Funny story. We were served with a formal Cease and Desist letter from Gonzaga Athletics for LINKING an article written by Jeff Goodman about the Texas scrimmage. Par for the course, I guess.

I will make an attempt to invade the Pepsi Center though...

was that this year? dont they know they are in the ENTERTAINMENT business and not conducting stem cell research?

gozagswoohoo
11-04-2011, 06:54 AM
was that this year? dont they know they are in the ENTERTAINMENT business and not conducting stem cell research?

I'm telling you....it's all about the MURDER.

cjm720
11-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Isn't it called a "closed scrimmage" for a reason?

BroncoZAG615
11-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Yep, this was about four days ago. Honest to God, I thought it was a joke.

I'd say 90% of the college bloggers on SB Nation have regular conversations with SID's, have credentials, and are generally embraced by the school they cover. We're still being served with Cease and Desists for linking a national article.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 07:10 AM

I'd say 90% of the college bloggers on SB Nation have regular conversations with SID's, have credentials, and are generally embraced by the school they cover. We're still being served with Cease and Desists for linking a national article.

unsettling to hear as a former d1 sports info dir. the fortress mentality (as it appears) is in the end a self defeating state of mind. the moment this program loses momentum, and it will, it will be embracing fans it now pushes away. the policy flows from few, but he has bosses, several of them, and they should do something about it (now im speaking as a former college v.p. of public relations; different school). just mho.

webspinnre
11-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I can't imagine Few having anything to do with cease and desist orders, particularly related to nationally published articles.

jazzdelmar
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I can't imagine Few having anything to do with cease and desist orders, particularly related to nationally published articles.

maybe not, but it would not occur w/o his tacit approval at a minimum. this is belichek-style paranoia, more common among football major domos. it doesnt belong at a school/program whose whole warm and fuzzy national image (which is quite profitable in raising funds and friends and freshmen) stems from just the (purported) opposite operating principle.

Baldwinzag
11-04-2011, 08:12 AM
There are always reports that leak, yet typically never on our end.

The past 2 years we've scrimmaged UT in Denver, the Texas players have offered snippets and a bit of intel.

The arrangement is intended(by the participating schools & NCAA) to be a "closed door" affair with no player, coach, or witness providing any details. The NCAA really frowns upon information being reported or spoken about.

However, the door has never been completely sealed.

For instance, I heard they beat us pretty good last season in the controlled scrimmage(minus Elias), yet we won a close one the year before...which was debated.

Be sure to follow the Longhorns' numerous message boards after November 5th. You'll find something worth reading, but be careful posting it over here. Better leave it to the eyes only...

vandalzag
11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the part of getting the NCAA to approve these closed scrimmages is that nobody outside of the two programs is allowed to witness it or it would be considered a game (that may also include family). We all know how the NCAA likes to come down on the lessor schools for the minor issues, the letter to slipper still fits is most likely the AD showing the NCAA that GU is doing all they can keep the lid on the event. If the NCAA can't make a profit off of an event, nobody will be allowed to witness it.

This is not the CIA, same with the luncheon, there is no need for secrecy. After 3-4 games there are not secrets anyway. But SID's have to be careful, this is not the media of 10 years ago. Most if not all journalistic standards have given way to the need to be first as opposed to being right. SID would be a very difficult job in this day. So Jazz not paranoia, just what is needed to survive in the modern era of instant information.

DixieZag
11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the part of getting the NCAA to approve these closed scrimmages is that nobody outside of the two programs is allowed to witness it or it would be considered a game (that may also include family). We all know how the NCAA likes to come down on the lessor schools for the minor issues, the letter to slipper still fits is most likely the AD showing the NCAA that GU is doing all they can keep the lid on the event. If the NCAA can't make a profit off of an event, nobody will be allowed to witness it.

This is not the CIA, same with the luncheon, there is no need for secrecy. After 3-4 games there are not secrets anyway. But SID's have to be careful, this is not the media of 10 years ago. Most if not all journalistic standards have given way to the need to be first as opposed to being right. SID would be a very difficult job in this day. So Jazz not paranoia, just what is needed to survive in the modern era of instant information.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The strict control of the Gonzaga AD, SID and coaches is almost certainly due to not wanting to lose this privilege or worse with the NCAA - an entity known for arbitrary punishment. and it makes perfect sense why Texas would be a little more lax about the situation, afterall, they are far more busy worrying that someone will notice that their best defensive end and freshman taiback are suddenly driving Escalades to worry too much about a "closed scrimmage" of BB. But Gonzaga, we have to protect our meal ticket. I also think that there might be a greater ethical commitment at GU but thats just guessing.

CDC84
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I have been told that these secret scrimmages are a lawsuit waiting to happen...that the entities in charge really have no right to ban press from these things, and that an assertive sportswriter will take it to court one day. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because established sportswriters don't want to damage relationships with their sources. But one day some young buck who is just getting started in the business will challenge it, and the secret scrimmages won't be secret anymore.

Therunner
11-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I have been told that these secret scrimmages are a lawsuit waiting to happen...that the entities in charge really have no right to ban press from these things, and that an assertive sportswriter will take it to court one day. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because established sportswriters don't want to damage relationships with their sources. But one day some young buck who is just getting started in the business will challenge it, and the secret scrimmages won't be secret anymore.

Spot on.

Why do you think Andy Katz, Jeff Goodman, Diamond Leung, et al are able to provide snippets & synopsis reports every year...

They are indeed, "closed", to anyone but Coaches & Players, but really nothing they can do about hear-say reports following these 'secret' scrimmages.

If they were really so "secretive", why do we also have an entire schedule for every team in the Country holding a closed scrimmage this week?

229SintoZag
11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

This is hilarious. In my humble opinion, the only appropriate course of action here is to post the entirety of the cease and desist letter on your site for all to see. Please do so.

There is a zero percent chance that you did anything legally actionable by linking to an article available publicly on the web. Perhaps even less than zero.

I would love to see this letter and I am sure others would too. One of the best ways to get people to stop sending bogus cease and desist letters is to publish them for all to see.

Therunner
11-04-2011, 09:15 AM

I'm telling ya', people just do things to do things...sometimes its meaningless and other times its just flexing their muscles in the mirror.

In this day and age, the goal of many people is to create "value". If you can prove you're doing your job, then more power to you and more value you have to someone or something. The NCAA is guilty of this and so is the person from Gonzaga Athletics sending this letter -- the person is probably a big fan themselves and follow your blog for a reason.

They most likely sent the letter for SHOW. To SHOW the NCAA they are doing their due diligence(just in case), and to prove to the people around them they have "value". If it doesn't actually exist or made-up, at least they are "creating" it. People just do thing to do things.

I know this post is vague, but in this day and age, so are most people's actions.

BroncoZAG615
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
This is hilarious. In my humble opinion, the only appropriate course of action here is to post the entirety of the cease and desist letter on your site for all to see. Please do so.

There is a zero percent chance that you did anything legally actionable by linking to an article available publicly on the web. Perhaps even less than zero.

I would love to see this letter and I am sure others would too. One of the best ways to get people to stop sending bogus cease and desist letters is to publish them for all to see.

Definitely thought about it but I still have some small piece of hope that one day, our request for credentials to various events will be approved.

MDABE80
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Administration reading the SSF? I wouldn't be a crusader Bronco..live to fight another day.
Not sure this would be worth it....just some advice.
Ah yes, there once was time......I did a similar thing. All these years later, my relationship is never the same. ...probably changed forever.
Careful young jedi......

titopoet
11-04-2011, 09:38 AM

You are right, but it will not be a young buck, but an entertainment reporter. Someone who is put up to it by other sportswriters to be the fall guy, but would not lose anything by the damage caused.

gozagswoohoo
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Still can't believe you guys are all still discussing this topic!!

Have fun being MURDERED.

gamagin
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
play blindfolded.

maynard g krebs
11-04-2011, 10:59 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought the thread was about soul singer Joe Tex, and whether or not he ever found someone to take the woman with the skinny legs. Cause you know, the woman with the skinny legs, she got to have somebody too. Not to mention the man with the raggedy clothes. (Yes, it's true, I just forgot to get my suit out the cleaners, that's all).

DrDrivel
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM

What does that matter? We're talking about the NCAA. Since when do they need legal backing for their meted punishments? I mean, I know the letter came from Gonzaga, but the NCAA is the prima causa, and they don't really care about your legal findings.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
ZACH-

Please post the cease and desist memo, at least on TSSF!

northsidezagfan
11-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Any idea which board of theirs is the best? I found this list of message boards but none seem very active, at least not with basketball.

http://www.big12-fans.com/big-12-boards/texas-sports-boards.html

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
gilligan for the thread win. absolutely hilarious post.

look it up.

willandi
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
So, Woohoo. When you say MURDERED, are you implying that somebody will be dipped in milk chocolate and then have it licked off by buff representatives of the sex chosen by them? What a way to go!!

:cheers::cheers:

jazzdelmar
11-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Try as they might to control information, it's a losing battle in the age of social media and the NCAA, a dinosaur in many other ways, needs to catch up. As well, the Zags don't exist in a vacuum, as Few would probably prefer. If fans aren't here, there ain't no there.

mnzag24
11-05-2011, 09:02 AM
as messed up as it is, having these open to the media would be an NCAA violation. its a NCAA rule, not a school by school thing, meaning ANY press or media or who ever that isnt supposed to be there could be made into an NCAA violation.

kylasdad
11-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I would rather my coach be overly cautious than be Calipary. The best way to guarantee gonzaga does not make a final 4 in the next, long time is to have a major violation. I personally believe a cease and desist is over the top, but it's better than a letter about an investigation to gonzaga from the ncaa.

TheBunnieRancher
11-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't know anything worthwhile but I saw several members of our team at the women's game tonight...Dower, Moenninghof, Keita, GBJ, Pangos & KD. Supposedly they had a good time in Denver. Whatever that means.

J-Lo
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
We are not to speak of this scrimmage.

Anyone who speaks of it....will be MURDERED.

Anyone who reports back to the board about info from the scrimmage......MURDERED!!.

Anyone who has a thought pop into their head about the scrimmage.....MORE MURDER!!!!

Still can't believe you guys are all still discussing this topic!!

Have fun being MURDERED.

Most hilarious WooHoo contribution to a thread this year!

:000tens:

DADoZAG
11-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't know anything worthwhile but I saw several members of our team at the women's game tonight...Dower, Moenninghof, Keita, GBJ, Pangos & KD. Supposedly they had a good time in Denver. Whatever that means.

Okay, so this is all we've got so far. "Supposedly they had a good time..."

The Hare Cowboy has a chance to let thousands of fans know how things went. What do we get? "Supposedly..."

Supposedly…?

Was it the fan sitting three rows up that said, "...they had a good time?"

Was it one of the players?

Was it an interpretation from something one of the players said?

Was it his own interpretation?

“Supposedly…?”

Really?

I don't mean to call out the Hare Cowboy individually, but come on...

Okay, we all know that these are young men deserve privacy when the condition demands it. But here is a chance to ask a simple question based on the demeanor of the group. From his post, my question to a player might be, "Do the ZAGS feel dominating tonight?" Or, "You guys feel a bit more confident now?"

What do we get?

"Supposedly..."

I say, “Kio’ da wabbit!”

Go ZAGS!

ID ZAGFAN
11-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I believe BunnyRancher's post is a rough paraphrase of my conversation with him regarding an encounter I had with some of the team members on my way to the game.

My description of that encounter is here:

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=36133

Second post.

Here is the relevant part:

I walked all three dogs. That is always quite a challenge! I was struggling with them around the soccer field when I saw a big group of guys coming at us. They stepped off of the walk to let me by, and I looked again, it was about 7-8 members of the MBB, mostly freshmen--Chris, GBJ, David, Kevin, I think among others. I called out "Hi, guys! How was your day in Denver?" They called back "Hi" and one of them (Chris Sarbaugh, I think) called back, "It was good!" I said "Terrific!" and walked on. Wish I knew how to interpret that!

I related that experience to BunnyRancher when we talked after the game. I think his post came out of that.

ZaGranny

DADoZAG
11-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I believe BunnyRancher's post is a rough paraphrase of my conversation with him regarding an encounter I had with some of the team members on my way to the game.

My description of that encounter is here:

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=36133

ZaGranny

Well ZaGranny, since you’re such a sweetheart and a user of the Gentle Lead, perhaps I need to cut you some slack plus apologize to the BunnyRancher.

But doggone folks, WE’RE WAITING TO MURDERED HERE!

At least give us something worth dying for!

Go ZAGS!

Pargo the Destroyer
11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
None of the Texas boards even mention a game.

northsidezagfan
11-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Might be worthwhile to keep an eye on this thread.

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/Four-UT-opponents-have-exhibition-basketball-games-today-5342512/1

But I really can't find anything either

kitzbuel
11-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Maybe they all went to the Grizzly Rose for an evening.

Malastein
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Might be worthwhile to keep an eye on this thread.

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/Four-UT-opponents-have-exhibition-basketball-games-today-5342512/1

But I really can't find anything either

Most of the posts in that threat are locked for members only, so I'm curious as to if anybody with a membership has checked to see if they added any details.