PDA

View Full Version : Is Display of Faith by an athlete unacceptable?

HillBillyZag
11-03-2011, 02:10 PM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20111103/Engel-Broncos-Tebow-Hate/. Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio and several of his cronies have
made belittling the young man and actually rooting for his failure a " cause celibre". Detroit Lion players openly ridiculed him last Sunday in what this fan thought a classless manner. Surprisingly one reads little defense of Tebow's treatment by Faith based Orgainizations like C.A.C. " Catholic Athletes for Christ ", "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" and "Athletes in Action ", whose stated purpose is to share and spread the Gospel and Christ's teaching with fellow athletes & fans. It puzzles me that in an era when alcoholism, drug addiction,dis- respect for authority and women's abuse are included and even encouraged in the lyrics of some music forms, that a show of Faith by one athlete would cause such and uproar?

webspinnre
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Look, I think Tebow is a great guy. But he's not a good quarterback. As long as the criticisms stick to football, I've got no problem with it.

cjm720
11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
If you don't like it, don't pay attention.

RenoZag
11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Tebow wears his religion on his sleeve and has become a popular target for it. . .not fair, probably not right either, but he's a public figure who relishes the opportunity to give praise whenever he can. . .

I suspect he heard and saw much worse directed his way when he was in college and all of the noise he's hearing now is water off a duck's back.

kitzbuel
11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I think the article is right when it says what he does makes some people squirm inside. They don't like the moral challenge so they react with attacks. I think he is fine with that and probably likes that fact that it actually causes people to think. Someone might just choose to not attack and reflect instead.

gu03alum
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
IMO, Tebow gets made fun of because he is not very good and there are some fans that think he is the greatest football player of all time. He has an unbelievable and undeserved following. If he starts playing like an NFL quarterback I think people will stop making fun of him.

bartruff1
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I think it goes too far when they mock him on the field. I would like to see a taunting penalty for that...not funny ....IMHO