PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding

zag buddy
11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
There is a picture of Elias Harris watching the shooter on the slipper still fits. I was so impressed with Spangler because in the same situation, he is already moving to position for the rebound. I believe this is something all of our rebounders should adopt. Any thoughts?

ExtremeJim
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
On an offensive rebound, a very mobile and active player like Harris might like to feed the ball rotation off the shooter's hand into his on-board computer, since a tip or tip-jam might be the desired result, as opposed to a defensive rebound, where holding position and blocking out might be Spangler's priorities.

rennis
11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
On an offensive rebound, a very mobile and active player like Harris might like to feed the ball rotation off the shooter's hand into his on-board computer, since a tip or tip-jam might be the desired result, as opposed to a defensive rebound, where holding position and blocking out might be Spangler's priorities.

haha, great call. If I was Harris I would be trying to tip-jam everything too.

:D

BobZag
11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Before Spangler is done, he'll be among the best in rebounding at GU, ever. It's instinctual for him. Harris and Dower will be good, better than Rob, but Spangler is like Arop was, it comes naturally.

JPtheBeasta
11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Re: Spangler

I liked the Violette 2.0 comparisons. With any luck, Violette might actually end up being the Spangler beta test version.

Timeout!
11-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Before Spangler is done, he'll be among the best in rebounding at GU, ever. It's instinctual for him. Harris and Dower will be good, better than Rob, but Spangler is like Arop was, it comes naturally.

Yep, Coach Few said it himself: "Ryan was one of the best rebounders we've ever scouted".

'nuff said.

titopoet
11-04-2011, 07:38 AM
There is a picture of Elias Harris watching the shooter on the slipper still fits. I was so impressed with Spangler because in the same situation, he is already moving to position for the rebound. I believe this is something all of our rebounders should adopt. Any thoughts?

actually, I was wondering why Carter is not dishing to Harris for a jam, rather than trying to shoot over a bigger player.

Baldwinzag
11-04-2011, 08:20 AM
From what I've seen, I'd compare Spangler to Mark Madsen in his Stanford days.

By the time Mark was a Senior, he was averaging 13ppg, 9 rpg. He averaged 8rpg over his 4 yrs, and a respectable 6ppg, 5rpg during his Frosh season. Ryan could do the same.

"Mad Dog" Madsen was a beast and went on to play in the NBA for 9 seasons.

Ryan may be more gifted & have a higher ceiling on offense too...we'll see.

DADoZAG
11-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Ryan may be more gifted & have a higher ceiling on offense too...we'll see.

Yes, we will...

Go ZAGS!

CDC84
11-04-2011, 09:02 AM
It's hard to exactly project how good Spangler will become because he has received so little coaching so far. All I know is that he is just going to get better and better and better.

Kiddwell
11-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Spangler reminds this fan of Washington's Jon Brockman. Blocking out, snatching the rebound, right away putting it up off the backboard for a hoop. Time will tell whether Spangler is "Brockman good"...hope so.

:]

gbnyba17
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Spangler reminds this fan of Washington's Jon Brockman. Blocking out, snatching the rebound, right away putting it up off the backboard for a hoop. Time will tell whether Spangler is "Brockman good"...hope so.

:]

I LOVE the brockman comparison, kiddwell. Granted we havent seen much, but from the lilittle I have and from everything ive heard, this seems like a fair comparison. If he could compete at the level brockman did then we would be in for a real treat!

Therunner
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
The Brockman comparison is interesting, but even when Jon was a Freshman, he was 260+lbs. Will Spangler ever play at that weight? He's currently 235lbs.

I doubt it.

Jon was built like a NFL middle-linebacker with very thick hips and brute legs, while Spangler is more like a NFL defensive end - broad shoulders, strong arms, thinner hips/legs, but more length and quicker.

Jon bulled his way to the hoop and had a nice back-to-the-basket hook shot.

Ryan uses the dribble-drive in his game and likes to take the face-up jumper. His back to the basket game is more about position and receiving the ball for a quick turn-around or slip under the baseline. Jon liked to receive the ball a few feet from the hoop and "butt & bully" his way for a shot.

Spanger is much more elusive & versatile than Jon Brockman as well. Listen, I'd love for Spangler to be as productive/efficient as Brock, but besides height, strength, & position. Jon seemed a little more polished in the post at the same stage too.

Just different games, imho.

When was the last time Jon Brockman was the leader of a fast-break for his team? Or taking a jab-step and fake to the hoop? Never. This is Spangler's game.

Brockman played a lot like JP Batista. Spangler plays like a shorter Calvary.

U Zig, I Zag
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Generally, I am for it.

willandi
11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Thats what I was doing when I met my 3rd wife. 25 years ago and we're still going strong! :000tens: