PDA

View Full Version : Strength Of Schedule Article ( Includes GU )

RenoZag
11-03-2011, 07:47 AM
CBS SPORTS STORY LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15965765/digging-into-the-mess-that-is-strength-of-schedule)

I probably took six months off my life tabulating, averaging and compiling data from last year, but it was worth it. The graphic attached is really, really cool -- and I encourage you to share. Compare teams throughout the major conferences, and then see how they spectacularly fail to live up to the standards of Long Beach State and Xavier.

Name brand and conference affiliation have a lot to do with how coaches and schools schedule. Politics are often involved, and big egos run amok. It's an arduous process. The big boys have a lot more control over who they play than the other 300 or so schools also tossed into Division I. Sometimes, you can't get out of a bad game or two, but if the overall concept of your out-of-conference schedule is out of line with your talent, pedigree or potential, then blame is to be handed out.

The interactive chart is pretty slick too. . .

Angelo Roncalli
11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
CBS SPORTS STORY LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15965765/digging-into-the-mess-that-is-strength-of-schedule)

The interactive chart is pretty slick too. . .

Makes for a persuasive rebuttal to fans of certain schools in the Montlake neighborhood that their conference strength of schedule makes up for their lame pre-conference diet of patsies.

NEC26
11-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Interesting that GU and Dan Monson have the toughest schedules out there.

04ZagFan
11-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Makes for a persuasive rebuttal to fans of certain schools in the Montlake neighborhood that their conference strength of schedule makes up for their lame pre-conference diet of patsies.

Ohh they'll find a way to "win" the debate.

primal23
11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Sad that the only other WCC school listed is BYU.

gamagin
11-03-2011, 09:08 AM
interesting article.

I like going with tough schedules wherever you are. If you can get the games. The author should have mentioned Monson likely has better connections for lining up games than others coaching at the Long Beach States of the world.

The possibility of knocking off a few big names, and making one for yourself in the process, is always enticing for everyone involved. So "what are you saving yourself for, (as my old coach used to say) the Prom ?"

CDC84
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
One item of note regarding GU's non-league sked this year....Oral Roberts is projected by Blue Ribbon to win the Summit, and Western Michigan their division of the MAC. These won't be easy games, and they should help GU's SoS.

Therunner
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Coach Monson has learned from experience. He knows exactly what it takes to elevate your program to a consistent National presence & NCAA team.

Um, Randy Bennett & Rex Walters think they've already arrived and should take a note out of Monson's book.

Still can't believe they were quoted as saying, "We refuse non-guarantee games, no 'home & home' agreements, and/or too many road games."

Respect is earned not given, Coaches.

I admire Coach Rex Walters coaching as much as anyone, but listening to him during WCC media day was rough. He is extremely arrogant about his team & schedule.

I fully support the confidence, but both teams have gambled their entire post-season appearances on winning the Conference.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SMC and USF both go 28-5 and NOT make the NCAA's.

Angelo Roncalli
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Coach Monson has learned from experience. He knows exactly what it takes to elevate your program to a consistent National presence & NCAA team.

Um, Randy Bennett & Rex Walters think they've already arrived and should take a note out of Monson's book.

Still can't believe they were quoted as saying, "We refuse non-guarantee games, no 'home & home' agreements, and/or too many road games."

Respect is earned not given, Coaches.

I admire Coach Rex Walters coaching as much as anyone, but listening to him during WCC media day was rough. He is extremely arrogant about his team & schedule.

I fully support the confidence, but both teams have gambled their entire post-season appearances on winning the Conference.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SMC and USF both go 28-5 and NOT make the NCAA's.

Some might think that Walters is trying to rack up as many wins as quickly as possible against meek opponents to pad his resume.

kitzbuel
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Some might think that Walters is trying to rack up as many wins as quickly as possible against meek opponents to pad his resume.
WCC might have enough of a rep for that to work this year. Quite plausible that three teams could make it so start stumping early and get lots of wins.

Therunner
11-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Could very well be, b/c he can't help but say, "when I played at Kansas...yada yada yada" in every single interview I've seen -- at least 2 or 3 times per.

We got it Rex, you played at Kansas.

Maybe he wants to Coach there too?

DADoZAG
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
WCC might have enough of a rep for that to work this year. Quite plausible that three teams could make it so start stumping early and get lots of wins.

One of us missed the point of the comment. I was thinking personal resume, not team resume.

Go ZAGS!

kitzbuel
11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
That, too. :D